• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I would push back and say it requires more ingenuity & creative thinking. When the cars are closer, it shifts to strategy and the drivers. I don't think the gap in driver ability has ever been closer. Instead of trying to figure out how go get more lead in the roll cage without getting caught, they focus on different stuff. PhD computer scientists running simulations to determine pit strategy. Physical therapists and nutritionists trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of a driver. Every week, you have 30+ drivers who legitimately have a shot to win. I don't remember it that way 25 years ago. NASCAR hasn't lost casual fans because of the short track package or composite bodies.

The sport is living, breathing, evolving.
    I would agree if we didnt have stages. If they could run them and strategize green flag stops and not knowing when a caution is coming out, thatd be amazing. But, knowing you can count on a caution every 100 laps takes the tire/fuel saving out (there is exceptions on occasion).

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    NASCAR needs to talk to the MotoGP guys and find out how they do it. Most motorsports are losing fans except MotoGP.

MotoGP: French GP Drew Record 297,471 Fans

The Brickyard 400 has seen some of the largest crowds in NASCAR history, with a record 250,000 spectators attending the first race in 1994. The 2024 Daytona 500 is believed to have had between 150,000 and 175,000 fans in attendance, and is thought to have been a sellout.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    NASCAR needs to talk to the MotoGP guys and find out how they do it. Most motorsports are losing fans except MotoGP.

MotoGP: French GP Drew Record 297,471 Fans

The Brickyard 400 has seen some of the largest crowds in NASCAR history, with a record 250,000 spectators attending the first race in 1994. The 2024 Daytona 500 is believed to have had between 150,000 and 175,000 fans in attendance, and is thought to have been a sellout.
    Kind of hard to compare the two, there are 36 Nascar races in one country compared to Moto GP where your country may only have 1 race all year. If there were only one or two Nascar races in the US every year, they would be sold out a year in advance for sure.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Last year ended with the lowest ratings ever recorded. To have races with a loss of viewership from a record low season isnt good.

On the flip side, I do like the throwback paints they run and will always love Darlington. Its got a mix of speedway and short track driving to it, exciting race when they bring the right package

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

Last year ended with the lowest ratings ever recorded. To have races with a loss of viewership from a record low season isnt good.

On the flip side, I do like the throwback paints they run and will always love Darlington. Its got a mix of speedway and short track driving to it, exciting race when they bring the right package

I do wonder how much cord cutting affects this. Are the drops proportional to the loss of access to the channel? In theory there could be a net increase in viewership when adjusted.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I do wonder how much cord cutting affects this. Are the drops proportional to the loss of access to the channel? In theory there could be a net increase in viewership when adjusted.
    NASCAR decided to sell out to the cable and streaming channels. It was a decision about making the most money while taking viewing away from the fans.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Thats been discussed before. To get an accurate comparison, you would have to consider other sports that are televised on cable. MLB had a 6% increase at the beginning of the year. Last year nba viewership was up 16% according to espn. Cord cutting surely accounts for some loss of viewers, but as a whole, the sport is losing viewers at a rate much higher than other sports that are on cable, and other sports are setting record viewership stats and seeing an increase. Last year being a record low, and this year having losses is proof that there is more to it then cord cutters.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Has anyone seen the Dale Jr discussion about how North Wilkesboro got brought back to life by the online racing community? Its a pretty good watch. Dale Jr and iracing developed the track. The sim racers was very outspoken about wanting that piece of Nascar history to return, and Dale Jr organised an event to clean up the track and get it back to its original state. Nascar agreed if that happened they would return and see how it goes… it is now part of the regular schedule again

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Has anyone seen the Dale Jr discussion about how North Wilkesboro got brought back to life by the online racing community? Its a pretty good watch. Dale Jr and iracing developed the track. The sim racers was very outspoken about wanting that piece of Nascar history to return, and Dale Jr organised an event to clean up the track and get it back to its original state. Nascar agreed if that happened they would return and see how it goes… it is now part of the regular schedule again
    I watched it, it was really interesting. Although with this new car, the racing wasn't good last year, and I don't have a lot of hope for this year with the new pavement. I do like that they are going to have two different tires that the teams have to run like Indycar. It could make things very interesting.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I watched it, it was really interesting. Although with this new car, the racing wasn't good last year, and I don't have a lot of hope for this year with the new pavement. I do like that they are going to have two different tires that the teams have to run like Indycar. It could make things very interesting.
    I agree. I think giving teams the freedom to choose which compound opens a whole new dilemma to watch play out. Soft/fast with more wear, or go harder and be slower but longer pit cycles. Thats the kind of racing i enjoy.

I like the track itself. I like the gen 6 package a lot more than this new one, but hopefully allowing tire variations will increase passing and increase the braking zone.

Bristol was ok, but that was a happy accident because of the tire situation. Martinsville was awful. Harvick described it to a T. With the new cars and less horsepower the braking zone is so small, they can drive it so much deeper into the turns. The old cars they had to brake sooner, which would allow the guy behind to drive in slightly deeper and get to the back bumper. Hopefully that style of racing comes back. Short track racing is the heart of racing in America. If they create excitement there, they will draw viewers

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Thats been discussed before. To get an accurate comparison, you would have to consider other sports that are televised on cable. MLB had a 6% increase at the beginning of the year. Last year nba viewership was up 16% according to espn. Cord cutting surely accounts for some loss of viewers, but as a whole, the sport is losing viewers at a rate much higher than other sports that are on cable, and other sports are setting record viewership stats and seeing an increase. Last year being a record low, and this year having losses is proof that there is more to it then cord cutters.
    I get what you’re trying to compare in numbers but you have to consider that baseball has 100+ games a week over several channels compared to a weekly single race. There’s a lot more games to watch through the week.
    Still its hard to view games unless I pay $140 for mlb streaming.

Top Bottom