• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I think the LCR or my preference the exposed hammer LCRx is an excellent design with a great trigger and the only really effective two finger grip (no pinky support) I've ever used. But I would not touch one in that oddball caliber unless I planned to stock ammo deep or I had slept through the prolonged ammo pricing and availability issues in 2013+ and 2020+. Even then cost and lack of load options, and every small reduction in bullet diameter limiting what can be done in effective bullet design, I personally would not get into .327. Trying to talk you out of it as requested!

I will also report crimp jump is not a maybe issue with 9mm LCR, it's a major issue so you essentially have to test 9mm ammo down to the specific lot when you by a new case. First hand experience, even with maximum grip force applied to counter the light weight of the revolver I've had the 5th bullet and powder laying loose in the cylinder. This negates some of the advantage of the wide range of loads available in 9mm, and the ease of picking up 9mm off the shelf anywhere in a pinch.

If you really want light weight I'd go with the .38+P LCR/LCRx. I'm willing to accept a few more ounces for the short barrel .357 version (roughly the same weight as the 9mm models) for maximum durability, ammo supply flexibility, and then carry with a good .38 +P load for recoil management and shot-to-shot speed in such a light revolver.

As to hiking, I think it would be simpler to get a good belt holster for the P365. I've hiked a lot of miles, mostly with G19 belt holster. I'd never consider hiking with IWB or appendix carry for comfort as well as potential injury, even just wearing holes in your skin. If I'm going deep concealment enough to carry a P365 I use an IWB holster, but specifically bought a strong side OWB holster for anytime I'm carrying the P365 and get into any hiking or other physical activity, including the potential need to walk if a vehicle breaks down (throw the OWB holster into the trunk pack).

So I'd just find a better holster for the P365 and you are well beyond worrying about 5 or 6 round capacity, .327 or 9mm ammo issues, or adding training time for a different handgun. (My intent for the LCRx is a backup gun to a 12-15 round 9mm on rare occasions.)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think the LCR or my preference the exposed hammer LCRx is an excellent design with a great trigger and the only really effective two finger grip (no pinky support) I've ever used. But I would not touch one in that oddball caliber unless I planned to stock ammo deep or I had slept through the prolonged ammo pricing and availability issues in 2013+ and 2020+. Even then cost and lack of load options, and every small reduction in bullet diameter limiting what can be done in effective bullet design, I personally would not get into .327. Trying to talk you out of it as requested!

I will also report crimp jump is not a maybe issue with 9mm LCR, it's a major issue so you essentially have to test 9mm ammo down to the specific lot when you by a new case. First hand experience, even with maximum grip force applied to counter the light weight of the revolver I've had the 5th bullet and powder laying loose in the cylinder. This negates some of the advantage of the wide range of loads available in 9mm, and the ease of picking up 9mm off the shelf anywhere in a pinch.

If you really want light weight I'd go with the .38+P LCR/LCRx. I'm willing to accept a few more ounces for the short barrel .357 version (roughly the same weight as the 9mm models) for maximum durability, ammo supply flexibility, and then carry with a good .38 +P load for recoil management and shot-to-shot speed in such a light revolver.

As to hiking, I think it would be simpler to get a good belt holster for the P365. I've hiked a lot of miles, mostly with G19 belt holster. I'd never consider hiking with IWB or appendix carry for comfort as well as potential injury, even just wearing holes in your skin. If I'm going deep concealment enough to carry a P365 I use an IWB holster, but specifically bought a strong side OWB holster for anytime I'm carrying the P365 and get into any hiking or other physical activity, including the potential need to walk if a vehicle breaks down (throw the OWB holster into the trunk pack).

So I'd just find a better holster for the P365 and you are well beyond worrying about 5 or 6 round capacity, .327 or 9mm ammo issues, or adding training time for a different handgun. (My intent for the LCRx is a backup gun to a 12-15 round 9mm on rare occasions.)
    Thanks! Seriously. That is what I needed to hear. I was unaware of the serious crimp jump issue with the LCR 9mm. I'm the kind of guy that when I get an idea in my head even if I know it's a bad one. Like getting into an odd ball caliber for a very specific reason. I have a hard time getting it out of my head and sometimes need outside logic to move the thought along. This thread was literally posted to try to get this idea out of my head because deep down I knew it was the wrong decision. I do plan on getting a good owb holster for the 365 but I still am probably going to get another snubby just because I like them, but I've decided to stick to known established calibers. We don't hike alot anymore since the kids are so little, but do enjoy good walks around the neighborhood and just being able to throw a revolver in my pocket is an appealing idea for that.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Actually this thread really is helping. But now I'm looking at the Kimber K6Sx alloy framed .38 spl. Still 6rnds in a much more common caliber with plenty of proven SD loads.
    Go with 357mag that way you can shot both or very hot loaded 38 special without problems if you sp choose.

If you go with an LCR or LCRx it has an amazing double action trigger pull.
    They also have it with a 3" barrel. Very light weight. I like mine. However, I gave it to my father to carry. He likes it also.
    I bought a longer grip because the original is really tiny at least for me.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Big fan of the LCR. Not a big fan of full house .357 from one, personally, but also bought the .357 version for more comfortable shooting of .38+P. Were I not bound by employer rules to use expanding ammunition, I'd carry standard pressure wadcutters. I'm well past thinking lots of recoil is fun and have no desire to beat up my hands any further.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Pros: 1. Better loads will out penetrate the best .38 Special +P loads. 2. An extra round of capacity in revolvers of similar size. 3. Capable of shooting .32 S&W and H&R Mag as well. 4. Ammo is likely to still be available when there are runs on 9mm and .38 Special.

Cons: 1. Practice loads are currently about $0.20 extra per round and SD loads are an extra $1+ per round. 2. While overall recoil is less, it is considerably snappier. 3. Smaller bullet frontal area will damage somewhat less tissue. 4. Fewer good SD loads to choose from.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I would never try to talk a person out of buying a gun. I say get it if you want it. ;)
    I will say, I am a horrible enabler and have buddies who refuse to go to gun stores with me now.
    My brother in law will not sit next to me at gun auctions, I love spending others money. "You're not gonna let another $25 keep you from buying that are you?" Up goes his hand, never fails.

I'd say buy a 327 if you want it, if you don't like it, trade or sell it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Looked at the Smith's and owned a 640 for a while. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it, but that's another story. Went for a short hike with the family yesterday and left the P365 in the truck because I didn't want to apendix carry it and a spare mag through the woods all day. A revolver in the pocket would be more than enough in that situation I feel. Plus I've been considering getting another snubby for a while. I like the Kimber K6 but $$$ and weight.
    A J-frame snubbie and:
    https://tkcustom.com/pages/38-super-rechambering

:whistle:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I got one for my daughter. It's still living at my house though. It's a very light pocket pistol & would serve you well.
    The 327 Mag is a handful and she preferred shooting 32 H&R Mag. That being the case, we switched her into a 9mm Walther instead. The 327 might be in the classifieds soon along with a small boatload of ammo.

Top Bottom