• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirkorner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Clay City, IN
    I just recently purchased an AR-10 off a fellow INGO member (thanks deo62) and i'm wanting to purchase optics for it here pretty soon. It's the 24" stainless fluted model and I want to push it to the limits, possibly 800 yds+. I have been looking at Nikon and Buschnell, but not leupold mainly because of the price. Now don't get me wrong, I am not a Buschnell hater, as I own one, but I am not one to say they are my favorite. I can get a discount on the Nikon and Buschnell, that's another reason I am looking at them. Here's what I am looking for and you guys tell me if and where I am going wrong. I am looking at mil-dot reticule with at least the capability of 24 power. Also looking at 50 mm objective with a 30 mm tube. Here is the scope I am looking at buying.

Bushnell - Elite 6500 4.5-30 x 50mm, Matte [654305T]

It's the elite 6500 tactical 4.5x30x50mm. Any ideas/suggestions guys???

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Ok nothing wrong with the elite series of Bushnell scopes. Nothing at all.

I myself would look in a different direction. The below scopes are nice for the cash flow and the one thing I can tell you is they return to zero time after time after time. I take it this is mainly a range target setup. The adjustable power scope is not really an asset unless it is a hunting/home protection piece.

If you are pushing the limits on long distance stuff 800 plus you are going to need more magnification than I normally use at 100. I picked up a 6 power SS scope on a 243 rifle in a trade. I sold the rifle and kept the scope. so I have 50 bucks in the optics. I then got a 10 power side focus that sets on a target 22. Great little setup for the money.

The larger ones say the fix 16 or fixed 20 are going to be a little gray at dusk and dawn but prefect for daytime targets. DO the math the 42 mm objective at 20 power is 2.1 mm exit eye pupil size so it not a great low light scope. I have a hard time with scopes above say 12-16 power as my heartbeat seems to be more noticeable when i hold them on target.

SWFA SWFA SS Rifle Scopes SWFA SS Scopes

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I put a NightForce 5.5-22 NXS NP-R1 on my bolt. I like it so much I bought another to put on my new POF 308 w/ 20" (Rifle due in next week). With the Zero Stop and .25 MOA I'm very please with the scope. Bolt has the 56mm, AR 308 gets the 50mm objective.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I have no problems with the Elite 6500's either. The only thing is once you get above say 16X the issues jmarriott talked about as well as mirage start to become an issue.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    Ok nothing wrong with the elite series of Bushnell scopes. Nothing at all.

I myself would look in a different direction. The below scopes are nice for the cash flow and the one thing I can tell you is they return to zero time after time after time. I take it this is mainly a range target setup. The adjustable power scope is not really an asset unless it is a hunting/home protection piece.

If you are pushing the limits on long distance stuff 800 plus you are going to need more magnification than I normally use at 100. I picked up a 6 power SS scope on a 243 rifle in a trade. I sold the rifle and kept the scope. so I have 50 bucks in the optics. I then got a 10 power side focus that sets on a target 22. Great little setup for the money.

The larger ones say the fix 16 or fixed 20 are going to be a little gray at dusk and dawn but prefect for daytime targets. DO the math the 42 mm objective at 20 power is 2.1 mm exit eye pupil size so it not a great low light scope. I have a hard time with scopes above say 12-16 power as my heartbeat seems to be more noticeable when i hold them on target.

SWFA SWFA SS Rifle Scopes SWFA SS Scopes

:+1::yesway::rockwoot: SWFA Super Sniper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I have a NF 5.5-22x56 on my 6.5Grendel that I am thinking about replacing with a NF 12-42x56 which would allow me to transfer the 5.5-22 over to my recently finished 308 build...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As stated, Nightforce is the best bang for the buck on the market, hands down.

I had a 3.5-15x50 NP-R2 on my IRA-10D and had zero complaints with it.
    IMG_5986.jpg

Would have preferred the NP-R1 reticle but got a good deal on the scope so I made the NP-R2 work. Keep in mind that a fixed power gives up the ability to dial down when necessary to cut through mirage if you're shooting long distance.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Couldn't say anything bad about NF or USO, not as much experience as ZBourn or phylodog, however I am a new Big Fan of WoTac. Great Glass for working mans price. Disadvantage is that its only a 14x. I have the 4-14x on my .22lr trainer and will probably drop my super sniper into the open market and replace with this optic. I know that Indygunworks has a Falcon Menace on his and loves it. which offers a 5-25. I am not the feller to ask a ton of questions to about front focal planes and Mil vs MOA reticles. I get the idea, but the pro and cons is for one of the above mentioned.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    give us a max dollar firgure and we can help alot more. i love my nf scope and agree that its the best bang for the buck out there. im just starting to try ffp so i may be changing my mind once i get some more time behind that optic

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    In addition to the scope don't forget to address the mounting options. While the AR10 upper is considered 0 MOA you need to take this into consideration with the scope you get as it may/may not have enough travel to get you out to the distance you desire. A mounting system with some cant built in may be needed. Just some more food for thought.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I put a NightForce 5.5-22 NXS NP-R1 on my bolt. I like it so much I bought another to put on my new POF 308 w/ 20" (Rifle due in next week). With the Zero Stop and .25 MOA I'm very please with the scope. Bolt has the 56mm, AR 308 gets the 50mm objective.

I also have a NF 5.5-22x50 on my POF 308 20"

The Bushnell 4200 scopes get good reviews

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    Not to thread jack, but how's the POF combo doing for you? I have the scope, arrived this week. Rifle is due mid week. Can't wait!

I am very pleased with the set up. I have been able to shoot several sub MOA 3 shot groups so far(best .25" @ 100 yards). The problem is i cant seem to finish a good sub MOA 5 shot group. Good reason for more practice!

210ee77.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What about the SIGHTRON SIII scopes?

Based on reviews I'm seeing they compare well against NIGHTFORCE and LEUPOLD and are slightly less expensive. Seems to be high demand for them among some of the F-Class shooters, their higher magnification SIII scopes look to be ideal out to 1000 yards.

Just a thought but I'm also in the market for a higher magnification scope and am looking at a lot of different optics. Bang for the buck AND optics clarity has been leading me away from Nightforce and toward Sightron.

Sightron SIII scopes

New Sightron 10-50x60mm Scopes Are Shipping AccurateShooter.com Bulletin

Sightron Siii 10-50×60 « Search Results « Daily Bulletin

Also, FWIW, the fixed magnification Sightron SIII scopes have a 150 MOA vertical and horizontal adjustment so no scope cant should be required out to 1000+ yards. The zoom variants have 50 MOA of travel.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am very pleased with the set up. I have been able to shoot several sub MOA 3 shot groups so far(best .25" @ 100 yards). The problem is i cant seem to finish a good sub MOA 5 shot group. Good reason for more practice!

Nice rig! I noticed you have the caps on the scope. With the rear rotating as magnification changes, how has it worked for you? I've considered getting some, but the NF rotates as you adjust the magnification. I figured it would be a PIA.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton

Nice rig! I noticed you have the caps on the scope. With the rear rotating as magnification changes, how has it worked for you? I've considered getting some, but the NF rotates as you adjust the magnification. I figured it would be a PIA.

you can position it so its not an issue. In the picture its at 22x, and you can dial down to 5.5 without it making contact anywhere.

Top Bottom