• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I recently purchased a small handheld flashlight from Streamlight called the MicroStream. I have been so impressed with it that I thought I would share my thoughts with my fellow INGOers.

STL66318LG.jpg

First, some background:

I work for a management company that runs a hotel in Greenwood. As the Operations Manager, I have a very diverse set of responsibilities. One of those includes very detailed inspections of guest rooms. I must inspect underneath beds, behind furniture, under cabinets, and in dark corners.

This lead me to go on a search for a compact flashlight that I could, hopefully, clip right into my shirt pocket.

I started by purchasing an "LED pen light" from Walmart. It was about $3. TOTAL CRAP. It was completely useless out past 5 inches. I immediately tossed it a drawer and began looking at small Surefires. (might as well be "tacti-cool" at work too, right?)

I'm a big fan of Surefire lights, but they didn't have anything SUPER-small like I was looking for. They have the new "Backup" light, but its $100+.

That's when the Streamlight MicroStream caught my attention. I like Steamlight, and their other products I've used in the past were good quality.

So I ordered one from LAPG.com along with some other goodies. It cost me $20. I've seen other vendors sell them for as cheap as $16. This price was right, as even if it didn't fit the bill, I wasn't out $100. There is also a slightly longer version (2 batteries, 24 lumens) called the StylusPro for $25.

A week later I had it sitting on my doorstep.

Fit and finish are excellent. The metal body has a nice weight and feel to it, but still light enough to not weigh down my shirt pocket. The metal clip is very sturdy and holds on just tight enough. The tailcap clicky is positive, but won't come on accidentally. It also came with a lanyard and keyring, but I kept those in the box. It runs on a single AAA battery, not expensive CR123's. One battery will give it 1.5 hours of runtime.

The 20 lumen LED is awesome! I couldn't believe that much light could come from such a tiny package. Its plenty bright enough to light up a dark room.

streamlight-MICROSTREAM.jpg

But here is the BEST part: the size. This thing is SMALL! I can clip this to my pants pocket next to my folding knife. Or I can clip it to a shirt pocket. Either way, it rides comfortably without being noticed at all. But if/when I need a light, its always there.

streamlight-MICROSTREAM.jpg

In the past I tried to carry a "compact" Surefire with my EDC gear. But the G2 was still too bulky to just slip in a pocket. And an actual belt carrier would be like having an extra mag pouch.

This has solved all those issues. I now carry this EVERYWHERE I go. It gets picked up just like my folding knife, keys, and cell phone. And its an interesting thing, but when I started carrying the light I suddenly found all these handy uses for it. Its like I don't know how I survived all these years without one.

For example, in the first week I carried it I had two major uses for it. First, while at a Fall Party at my folk's place in Brown County, I managed to get a flat tire on the tractor (I had been giving hay rides and I was on my way back from dumping all the hay) at the very back corner of their property. I parked it and had to walk back to the house in complete darkness. But, with my new MicroStream I was able to take a detailed look at the tire, assess the situation, and then walk back to the house on foot without stumbling through the darkness. Later that week, at work, I had some guests complain of issues with their TV. I went to their room to help them solve their problem. Unfortunately, the wife was already asleep in bed, so the husband had most of the lights off. I wanted to look around the back of the TV, but it was totally dark and I couldn't see a thing. I quickly pulled out the MicroStream and discovered that their power cable had come loose. Quick fix and they were back in business. Lastly, it helps me every week when I do room inspections.

Now, I would not consider this a "replacement" for a combat light. This is more of a general purpose or task light. However, it could most certainly identify a potential threat and be brought into action using the same techniques used with larger handheld lights.

So, in closing, if you are someone who has been wanting to incorporate a handheld light into their EDC gear, but find most handhelds to be too "bulky", be sure to check out the MicroStream from Streamlight.

Streamlight - Key Chain Light Series - MicroStream

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Great review Esrice. I bought one approx 2 months ago when Cheaper than Dirt had $10 off an order. It was $14 or $15, plus $6 shipping, so I got it right at $11. I am just as satisfied as you are. Allow me to highlight a few things that you touched on:

First, its light weight and short length make it ideal for EVERY pocket. Some "smaller" lights are relatively small, but make strange shapes in the front pocket of suit pants. This light is absolutely no imposition to your daily routine. I often clip mine to my back pants pocket- I was initially worried it might come out but so far (2 months) its been fine.

I would argue that the battery life is well over 1.5 hours. I am still using the factory-supplied battery with no appreciable change in brightness. Let us not forget all the time spent playing with a brand new light, plus showing it off to your friends, plus general everyday use. I bought expensive lithium batteries but have yet to use them because the factory battery is still kicking. I am really excited to see how well it does with a lithium battery.

It is much brighter than one would expect. The lumen rating isn't that impressive, but due to the nature of my work attire I demanded that the light be small (above all the other variables) so I was willing to compromise on a light that might be dimmer. It is not disappointing to me in any fashion, specifically not in terms of output. While I agree everyone should have a combat light, this provides a lot of light inside the house at night.

If I could have only one light I would really have to consider this one. I have other surefires, etc, but for practical daily use I find myself turning to the Microstream.

This stands to be a big hit at Christmas.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Glad to hear you too had a positive response, soundslikejosh.

And this is definately going into some stockings this year!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE:

Around January I lost this little guy while I was at work. I was disappointed when I never did find it, so I quickly got another one. I'm glad it wasn't a $100 SF, or it would've really hurt the bank.

Fast foward to this past weekend. I was still on my original battery, but when I tried to use it on Saturday it would not come on. This worried me slightly, because I had just dropped it onto some concrete the day before. I got home and replaced the battery, only to have it fail to power on again. Crap. So I put it to the side, thinking I would tear it apart when I had more time and see if I could pin point a problem.

Silly me.

Today, just to make sure I didn't mess something up, I flipped the battery. Guess what? POWER! Stupid me had simply installed the battery upside-down.

So she took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. The fresh battery even gave it a nice renewed brightness. The outer body is starting to show some signs of wear around some of the edges, but nothing major, especially with the way I use it.

Rumor has it that shooter521 was the last victim to be lured into purchasing one. I hear he was impressed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    A word about customer service at Streamlight: satisfaction.

I bought a streamlight microstream and loved it. After a few months I somehow tore a hole in the rubber-sealed tailcap. This did not affect the operation but would allow moisture into the switch. If you go to the SL website it makes it appear that you have to send the light off for service, blah blah blah. Well thats a big PITA for a little part, so I sent them an email explaining the problem and asked since it's a small part and an easy fix, will you mail me a new part? They responded the next day in a very friendly tone telling me that my replacement part had shipped that day. It is just a tailcap assembly so 2 or 3 days later I screwed off the old one and put the new one on. Voila! My favorite light is good as new.

I thought it fairly lame that the thing degraded after only 4 or 5 months, but I EDC it and wear it clipped to my back pocket, so the boot covering the switch bumps into everything I sit against. I had previously bought a couple more lights because I like them so much, and then I had a spare while I was waiting for my new parts. As far as I am concerned, their customer service couldn't have been better. As long as I have a back up, and as long as they keep mailing me replacements parts as necessary, I will be a satisfied Streamlight customer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was introduced to the MicroStream by Soundslikejosh. I found them on clearance at Sportsman's Warehouse when they were going under by accident. I was actively looking for them in the flashlight section with no luck. Then when I was checking-out, I saw three of them in the checkout line with the impulse buy items. Now I have one, my mom has one, and my dad has one.

It's one of the handiest and most useful utility lights ever made.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It's one of the handiest and most useful utility lights ever made.

:+1:

I just recently snagged one based on esrice's recommendation. Botach (of all places) had them on sale. Awesome little piece of kit; fills the gap between a full-blown "tactical" light (SureFire, etc) and the little keychain LED button lights. Now I want several more...

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Streamlight's awesome

Now you have me wanting one for my EDC. I've been using a Rayovac 3W tactical that takes 2 AA batteries. A little big, especially for daytime. I've been looking for something to fill the gap, and fill my BOB, GHB and kits I'm going to give at X-Mas.

On Streamlight customer service: +100! I have used a Stinger, Stinger with HP head, and SuperStinger HP. THese are the best lights I have used, and everyone always shields their eyes when I whip out the SuperStinger (75,000 candlepower.) I have had to have my original Stinger worked on, twice, and the rep was fast and super nice. As a matter of fact, he picked my light up at Stever R. Jenkins police supply in Indy and returned it within 3 days each time, once for a new reflector unit, the other for a new rubber switch cover! By the way, my Stinger is 12 years old, and still goin' strong!

A little flashlight humor...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz3SBY8zj8w[/ame]

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Two unrelated questions

1. If you listen to Bob and Tom, I wonder if your inspections include inspecting between the mattresses? And, what have you FOUND there?
    2. Do you guys use black lights to inspect the room/bedding? Just curious.
    That looks almost exactly like a light I bought from Target. Which reminds me of this old fatwallet thread from 2005, when I bought mine.
    1 Watt Luxeon Led Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Flashlight $22.95 + Shipping

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Two unrelated questions

1. If you listen to Bob and Tom, I wonder if your inspections include inspecting between the mattresses? And, what have you FOUND there?
    2. Do you guys use black lights to inspect the room/bedding? Just curious.
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=18&threadid=534461

Here are two unrelated answers ;):

1. I do not, but on my most involved inspection I do indeed. Women's underwear is probably the most notable thing I've found.
    2. No I do not. Black light shows up all kinds of things, good AND bad. Bodily fluids and excess laundry detergent tend to look the same under black light. It would be pretty CSI to use it, but just not practical.
    Back on topic, here is a pic of about 4 months of daily use:

2vaxld3.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've owned the Streamlight Stylus Pro since the Nov. 1500. Best $20 I ever spent. I'll have to add the Micro Stream to my collection.

Its everything you like about the StylusPro, wrapped up in a slightly smaller package (and less 4 lumens, I think).

Top Bottom