Review: the EPIC wearable video camera shootout!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have always thought that documenting one's shooting/training activities with photos and/or video is a good idea, as it provides a permanent record that can be referred back to later for educational or entertainment purposes. The camera doesn't lie; it will show you the good as well as the bad, and its third-person perspective can often capture aspects of your performance that are either unavailable or inobvious to you as the shooter in the heat of the moment. For instance, do you have any idea what you look like and how your feet/legs/hips/torso interact when you are shooting on the move? Can't really get a sense of that unless someone records it, can you?

A couple years ago, I got interested in exploring the potential of small "wearable" cameras for capturing footage from a first-person perspective, in order to create a more comprehensive record of the shooting experience. In other words - I know what the external camera sees; how does that compare with what I as the shooter see, and what can I gain by examining each perspective separately, as well as by comparing and contrasting them?

I have experimented with three different wearable systems, and have decided to do a head-to-head-to-head comparative review of them here. Back in January, I shot a few courses of fire while recording myself with all three cameras simultaneously. As a control, I had someone else take video with my Nikon Coolpix P90.

The courses of fire I ultimately chose for this review are:

"Eighteens," aka "the Devil's Drill". Shooter loads (3) magazines with exactly (6) rounds apiece. On command, fire 6 rounds standing, execute a speed reload, 6 rounds kneeling, speed reload, 6 rounds prone, keeping all rounds on the target (8" circle). Distance is 18 yards; par time is 18 seconds.

"The Snake Drill". Shooter moves through a course of barrels, shooting while on the move at a steel target placed ~50 yards downrange. Shooter must score at least 3 hits while moving between each set of obstacles. All shots must be taken on the move; reload as necessary. At the final barrel, shooter must transition to pistol and engage a steel target at 10 yards with 3 rounds.

Drills were performed on a private range in southern Indiana. Temps were in the upper 20s, with gusty winds all day. Not the best conditions for filming, but you gotta work with what you're given. Specs, video clips and thoughts on each system follow:

CONTROL: Nikon Coolpix P90
    YouTube - 18_Nikon.wmv
    Eighteens

YouTube - Snake_Nikon.wmv
    Snake Drill

GoPro HERO Wide (SD)
    hero_kit.jpg
    hero_head.jpg

Manufacturer: GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports
    Resolution: 512 x 384
    Basic Features: 170° wide-angle lens, waterproof housing, accepts numerous mounts for various applications. Modes include video, still, 3-shot burst, pic every 2 or 5 seconds, self-timer, upside-down "flip" recording.
    Memory: 16MB internal; accepts SD cards up to 4GB. Capacity 1hr 52min video (w/ audio) using 4GB card.
    Recording Speed: 30FPS
    Video Format: .AVI
    Batteries: (2) AAA
    Price: $99.99 w/ head strap, (2) adhesive surface mounts, and adapter cables

Pros: Very small and lightweight. Waterproof. Head mount allows hands-free use and does not conflict with other gear.

Cons: Controls are difficult to manipulate (esp. when head-mounted). Tiny LCD screen and symbology difficult to read. Short battery life. Wide-angle lens creates "fishbowl" effect and exaggerates distances. Sealed housing results in muffled audio.

YouTube - 18_Hero.wmv
    Eighteens

YouTube - Snake_Hero.wmv
    Snake Drill

i-Kam Xtreme
    ikam_kit.jpg
    ikam_top.jpg

Manufacturer: Revolutionary Outdoor Products
    Resolution: 736 x 480
    Basic Features: 2-button operation with status LEDs, stereo audio, interchangeable lenses
    Memory: 4GB internal; accepts Micro-SD cards up to 8GB. Capacity ~3hr video (w/ audio) using 4GB internal memory.
    Recording Speed: 25FPS
    Batteries: Embedded 550mAh Li-polymer rechargeable power supply
    Price: $129.99 w/ (4) sets of lenses (clear, black, amber, brown), carrying case and adapter cables.

Pros: Between-the-eyes camera location provides near-true first person perspective. Excellent video and audio quality. Easy to operate and easy to verify status (LED is visible in peripheral vision).

Cons: Lenses are not ballistically rated (ANSI Certified, etc). Temples are non-adjustable; can be somewhat uncomfortable to wear for long periods. Bulky temple design can interfere with some headphone-style ear pro. 30-second automatic shutoff is annoying! Not moisture- or water-resistant. Not very useful with long guns where sights or optics are mounted close to the eye/camera.

YouTube - 18_iKam.wmv
    Eighteens

YouTube - Snake_iKam.wmv
    Snake Drill

Advanced Tactical Camera
    ATC_top.jpg
    ATC_open.jpg

Manufacturer: Pacific Concepts
    Resolution: 640 x 480
    Basic Features: Designed for on-gun mounting, 3-button operation with LCD display, waterproof to 10 meters.
    Memory: 32MB internal; accepts SD cards up to 2GB. Capacity ~1hr video (w/ audio) using 2GB card.
    Recording Speed: 30FPS
    Batteries: (2) AA
    Price: ~$120.00 at most outlets (currently on sale direct from the manufacturer at $50.00!) including weaver-style ring mount and adapter cables.

Pros: Only system being reviewed that is designed for on-gun mounting. Easy to operate.

Cons: Sealed microphone results in poor-quality audio; I removed the seal to improve audio quality, which may have been too much of a good thing (mic is really sensitive in windy conditions) and negates the waterproof feature. Video is only mediocre quality, and flickers due to recoil.

YouTube - 18_ATC.wmv
    Eighteens

YouTube - Snake_ATC.wmv
    Snake Drill

FINAL THOUGHTS
    None of the three systems being reviewed is perfect (and as expected, none holds a candle to the video or audio quality provided by a "real" digital video camera like the Nikon, which also weighs 4 lbs and costs $400).

Of the 3, the ATC is the only one I would pass on if I had to do it again. The on-gun orientation isn't all it's cracked up to be, since the muzzle often points someplace other than where the "action" is (at the low ready, or during reloads and transitions, for example). Additionally, the video/audio quality isn't too bad for the $50.00 I spent, but at its normal price point of $120, I'd be seriously disappointed.

Between the i-Kam Xtreme glasses and the GoPro HERO cam, I have to give the edge to the i-Kam glasses. IMO, their ease of use, superior video/audio quality and long battery life outweigh the HERO Cam's durability and versatility. Additionally, they provide a more first-person perspective, where the wide-angle head-mounted HERO Cam gives more of a "God's-eye" view.
    The i-Kam glasses are great for handgunning and shotgunning, but less than optimal for rifles where sights or optics are mounted close to the eye/camera. Shooting video with the iKam requires that you keep the position of the camera in mind, since it may not be pointing exactly where you are looking (the camera is fixed, but your eyes can move within their sockets).

I would not recommend any of these wearable cameras as a substitute for having someone else shoot video with a "real" camera, but they can be a useful supplement and can help provide a more complete picture of your shooting/training/practice/match experience.

Thanks to my fellow INGOers esrice and troy_mp for assisting with the setup and filming for these reviews. :ingo:

Last edited:

troy_mp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Excellent review, (i.e.), all the pertinent info. from which one could make a sensible decision and a solid summation as to your impressions. :yesway:

I second esrice ... a good day. :D

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    That was a good idea for a review. We had some of those glasses at our advanced AK class last weekend, but Randy forgot the instructions and nobody wanted to figure out how to use them.:):

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Necro thread rez with an update!

Earlier this year, my i-Kam Xtreme video glasses gave up the ghost after ~2-1/2 years of regular use. The frame came apart at the hinge, prevening the lens from staying in place, and exposing the wiring inside.
    ikam_broke_zps0d2ba478.jpg

Now, this was actually the second set of i-Kams I've owned; the first set I bought back in 2010 cracked shortly after I got them and was replaced under warranty. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/online_merchants/115726-hunters_specialties.html

Recently, one of Bradis' distributors ran these glasses on sale, so I decided to get another set, this time in Realtree Advantage camo just to be different. Once they arrived, I discovered the product had been completely redesigned in terms of both construction and function.

ikam2_front_zpsc280645c.jpg

ikam2_kit_zps3c90335d.jpg

Here are the specs:
    Manufacturer: Revolutionary Outdoor Products (marketed by Hunter's Specialties)
    Resolution: 736 x 480
    Basic Features: 1-button (power/record) operation with status LEDs, mono audio, interchangeable one-piece lens
    Memory: 4GB internal; accepts Micro-SD cards up to 32GB. Capacity ~2hr video (w/ audio) using 4GB internal memory.
    Recording Speed: 25FPS
    Batteries: Embedded 550mAh Li-polymer rechargeable power supply
    Price: $99.99 w/ (2) lenses (clear and polarized black), carrying case and adapter cables.

The new i-Kam Xtreme frame is a smooth, hard plastic rather than the rubber-overmolded construction of the original, and the hinge areas have been beefed up for better durability. The earpieces are wider, and are contoured for improved comfort. The dual top-mounted power/record buttons originally located on the left temple piece have been replaced by a single-function button integrated into the side of the right temple piece. The green power and blue record LEDs have been moved to the right side, as well. The new lens is wider, and is a one-piece design that is much easier to change. The ports for the USB interface and Micro-SD memory card now feature rubberized covers to prevent dirt/debris/moisture from entering. Unfortunately, you're still going to look like a dork wearing them. :)

Pros and cons remain the same as the original i-Kam Xtreme, with the exception of the 30-second shutoff. With the new single-button operation, power and recording are done together; pushing the button turns on the power, and after a 4-second delay, recording begins automatically. Pushing and holding the button for a couple seconds stops recording, then the power shuts off automatically. I look forward to getting some time on the range with these to see how the new design holds up!

Some comparison photos (new i-Kam in camo; old busted i-Kam in black):
    ikam_both_top_zps2e1c5451.jpg

ikam_both_side_zpse952a36c.jpg

ikam_both_front_zpsd8a7d10b.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Have you reconsidered the goProHD series? They are pretty awesome these days :)

Yeah, there's a whole new generation of cameras that have come out since this review was initially posted, and I'm sure they blow all these out of the water. There's even a company doing HD video glasses, too. BUT they are all considerably more expensive than the sub-$100 price point of the i-Kams, and you can't beat the glasses-style cameras for ease of use.

The i-Kams and original Hero Cam are fine for what I'm doing with them. Rather than spending $300-400 on a GoPro HD, I think I'd sock that away and use it toward upgrading my "big" camera instead.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    One more bump... after wearing the "gen 2" i-Kam Xtreme glasses during a range session last week, I can report the following:

1) the size and placement of the status LED makes it extremely difficult to see out of one's peripheral vision in normal sunlight. While this is nice in that the blinking light isn't at all distracting, it is also difficult to determine whether or not the unit is on/recording.

2) the redesigned frame makes the glasses MUCH more comfortable to wear for long durations, and with headphone style earpro.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Yeah, there's a whole new generation of cameras that have come out since this review was initially posted, and I'm sure they blow all these out of the water. There's even a company doing HD video glasses, too. BUT they are all considerably more expensive than the sub-$100 price point of the i-Kams, and you can't beat the glasses-style cameras for ease of use.

The i-Kams and original Hero Cam are fine for what I'm doing with them. Rather than spending $300-400 on a GoPro HD, I think I'd sock that away and use it toward upgrading my "big" camera instead.

I was asking because I wear regular glasses, and haven't gotten around to getting contacts yet...so wearing those over my glasses would be a no go...and the go pro could be used for other stuff and not just for the "shooting" activities. :)

Good review though. I have been considering a goPro for a while now, but with the other costs of my hobbies haven't laid aside the coinage yet.

Top Bottom