Join INGunOwners For Free
    Marksman

User Info Menu

bladetech thigh holsters...good for 3 gun comps?

Im thinking to get the Supertuck IWB for CC, but Id like to have a 2nd holster that would work for open carry around the house, yard, AND work for 3 gun matches. I have never done 3 gun, but would like to eventually try it out. Getting the right holster now would save me from having a stack of "failed" ones. I tried researching some 3 gun rules, and most say that the holster needs to be worn on the hip, and cover the trigger. Does this mean no thigh strap holsters? If these arent allowed, then I would think any of the paddle OWB types would be fine. I liked the thigh holster for OC at home and the yard because I dont always wear a belt on my shorts or pants. Any other solutions for OC at home besides the shoulder types?

User Info Menu

Unless it's Duty Gear, they're generally illegal for competitions run under USPSA rules because the grip falls too low. For Competition, I just use a BladeTech injection molded holster on a DOH attachement and it's boarderline within the rules.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." - Robert E. Howard

This also explains a lot about internet forums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cougar_guy04 View Post
    Unless it's Duty Gear, they're generally illegal for competitions run under USPSA rules because the grip falls too low. For Competition, I just use a BladeTech injection molded holster on a DOH attachement and it's boarderline within the rules.
    they are in fact illegal for 3gun, but ok for multigun. most of the "outlaw" 3gun matches allow them, also. unless you really need the real estate on your belt, like running trooper class, i think you are better off drawing from your belt. the only time i use one is if the match requires that i have more than one gun in use at the same time such as transition from the ar to the pistol with the ar on a sling.
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

Marksman

User Info Menu

thanks for the feedback

User Info Menu

Brother obijohn is correct. Such holsters are accepted in USPSA multi-gun matches, but not in USPSA 3-Gun tournaments (except as noted for law enforcement and military wearing their actual duty gear). Most of the non-USPSA 3-gun and multi-gun organizations and matches do allow them, but as noted above, if you don't absolutely need the belt space, I don't see the point.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Marksman

User Info Menu

went for the raven phantom for OWB, and the overhooks for IWB.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waloidian View Post
    went for the raven phantom for OWB, and the overhooks for IWB.
    first class choice. that's a system i highly recommend.
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

Marksman

User Info Menu

it took a while to research everything that was out there, but the raven was the first one that actually seemed to live up to their own marketing. they all say the same thing...most concealed! lightest! all day comfort! etc, but this one had enough real feedback to make the jump.