• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I've been searching for a while for a decent, small, low cost flashlight that still had a bright output. I have several pocket lights, a Mini-Mag that I put a custom red lens cover on, and a few decent LED lights that were cheap (both in cost and in manufacture) that really haven't filled the role I needed. I'd dug out an old Coleman Graphite when the light I thought would be useful turned out to be dimmer in actual use than I expected.

I thought my search was going to require me to go for a Surefire or a Fenix. Good brands and good gear, but more than I had hoped to pay. I lucked out, however when I went to my local hardware store.

It was happenstance that I was at the hardware store, trying to buy something unrelated and speaking with one of the associates at the counter when I saw their new display. I went back a few days later and bought one.

picture.php

It's a Redline by Nebo Tools. I lucked into finding it for $20. It has a 220 lumen LED with 110 and 22 lumen settings, as well as an S.O.S. setting and a "tactical" strobe setting. The button glows (not for very long, which I find to be disappointing).

The base also has a few "protection" ridges around it.

picture.php

They aren't nearly as defined or "sharp" as the ones around the lens, but would still be an annoyance. You also don't have to press the button completely to cycle through the settings. There's also a magnet ring around the base. It's not overly strong, but it will hold hanging upside down. I tested it on the top of a metal door frame, and it hung with no problem.

The "protection" ridges around the lens are nice and sharp and would cause a fair amount of pain and damage if jammed or scraped across someone's face.

picture.php

The head of the flashlight will flood or spot. Supposedly the spot light is visible for 150 yards. I haven't tested that. The red around the head is opaque plastic that allows light through. This can give you a red light for low light situations, to save your night vision. It's not going to throw light very far, but it probably would allow you to read a page or a map.

I found out, however, that those ridges are also great for tearing a hole in the back pocket of my jeans. I'd been carrying it in my back pocket and sitting on it, and apparently moving around while seated for long periods of time will cut denim.

It's made of aluminum and is supposed to be weather proof. It's just about palm sized. Granted my palms are man sized.

picture.php

picture.php

Makes a great fist pack.

I recommend the flashlight for it's size, brightness and functions. The five different settings make it useful for normal needs or self protection with it's blinding strobe. I might have liked to see the strobe click being the second in succession, by the time you click through your attacker can cause problems. I do wish I had a way to put a red lens or cover over it. However, the head has a dome shaped lens that acts like a magnifier. I don't like the short glow time for the power button, but it's a fairly sturdy rubber or silicone. It's got some heft but it's not heavy. It runs on three AAA batteries. Just don't carry it in your pocket.

You can check them out at Nebo Tools' website. I know they're listed on the site for $34.99, still a decent price. If you'd like to know where to get it for $19.99, PM me and I'll let you know. If you're not local and are interested, PM me and we'll work out a deal. I believe they had twelve in stock when I bought mine.

picture.php

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I also have one(along with it's little brother, the Blueline) and the 150 yards claim is pretty spot on. The other night there were some 2 legged intruders in my yard. I went out to try to scare them off and I could easily see them at the end of the street when they ran, which is atleast 100 yards. Overall I am very pleased. I got mine for $19 shipped new off ebay.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I have two redlines one is the model you listed here. I am very happy with both of them for the price I paid. For someone in the kokomo area the milsurp store on 22 has them with a free holster with your purchase.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I had one of the Nebo CSI lights. They are indeed waterproof. Mine went for a swim in the ocean. I gave it to a friend who needed an EDC light. I need to pick up a couple more.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    The unfortunate thing is that they would have given me a box :n00b: to carry it home in (put it in my pocket and left) but there was no holster or nylon belt carrier or anything. I've been considering making my own leather holster for it. It'll probably be my next project.

I also meant to add that the red "light" will only work if you put your hand over the lens so only the red shows up.

Top Bottom