• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I'm going to order the Burris Fastfire III for deer hunting and mount it to a S & W 626 (44 Mag) revolver. What dot should I buy? My hunting is in a wooded area and the shots are 75 yards or less? My concern with 3moa is finding the dot in various light conditions. But the 8moa might be too large for long shots and target shooting @ 50 yards or more. Since I'm new to the dot system, I'm looking for help. Any advice before I buy?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    A 8moa dot will cover roughly 8 inches of target at 100 yards.
    At 50 yards that dot will cover 4" of target, an at 25 yards it will cover 2".

The 3moa will cover 3" @100 yards, 1.5" at 50, .75 @ 25yards.

IMO, the bigger dot will be better for hunting applications on a handgun.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i have a 2 moa dot on my AR (i know its a completely different gun) but if you cant find the dot on a 3 moa dot turn the brightness up and it will make it seem larger because it makes it look fuzzy and larger. Plus if you dont like the 3moa dot you can sell that because people like that size. If you buy the 8moa dot and dont like that its a much smaller market that wants a dot that large.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    ....so if more people want the 3 MOA, should I consider its popularity as a way to vote for the 3 over the 8?

yes and no.....all im saying is if you dont know what you really want then go with the popular one first (the 3 moa) and if you dont like it the market for resale on it is huge. Or find a used 3moa one and give it a try or even a friend with one. I personally would not want a 8 mow because it would be so big that it would block the target and precise shooting would not be much of a precise thing.

Reggywill

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Indy (Westside)
    yes and no.....all im saying is if you dont know what you really want then go with the popular one first (the 3 moa) and if you dont like it the market for resale on it is huge. Or find a used 3moa one and give it a try or even a friend with one. I personally would not want a 8 mow because it would be so big that it would block the target and precise shooting would not be much of a precise thing.

Looks like you answered you're own question then :rockwoot:

Top Bottom