• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    Well I have been wearing my new holster for about a week and a half.
    I had been looking for a good kydex holster for my new CZ P-07 .40 and there isn''t much options out there.
    Plus I have been looking for something that isn't injection molded crap( Fobus, Bladetech) and something that would not take 2 or more months to get to me( again bladetech and Raven).
    So I found this guy on ingo
    Contact Concealment | Professional Grade Kydex Holsters

Bruce does great work.
    He didn't have a mold for a CZ so he borrowed mine and came and picked it up. Lucky for me he lives close so that wasn't a problem.
    Nice guy says let me get something to eat and I will start working on it.
    So I am expecting a week or more and he says," nah Ill have it done in 3 hours.:rockwoot:

Really three hours for a top of the line holster, sign me up.
    And three hours later he brought it back to my house and made sure it fit good and snug.:yesway:
    120919_0000_zpsed6eb994.jpg

120919_0001_zps2467ffde.jpg

This holster is amazing, the best one I have ever owned. I wear it all day at work and home and distributes the weight of the gun with ease.
    Bruce makes Inside the waistband and OWB holsters, sheaths and magazine holders. Which I need to get.;)
    120919_0005_zpsaaccca8d.jpg

120919_0004_zps8349eb4a.jpg

Give him a pm if you want a nice riding kydex holster.

120919_0005_zpsaaccca8d.jpg

Shadowhouse is his name on Ingo.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just a little info for your digestion:

If the guy doesn't have an FFL: he very likely broke the law by possessing your firearm without you being present.

-J-

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If the guy doesn't have an FFL: he very likely broke the law by possessing your firearm without you being present.

I believe that is only an issue with keeping the gun overnight.

RCS takes guns at the 1500 and I'm pretty sure they don't enter them into a FFL book or anything.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I believe that is only an issue with keeping the gun overnight.

RCS takes guns at the 1500 and I'm pretty sure they don't enter them into a FFL book or anything.

I do know that over-night requires an FFL - but I'm also under the impression that without the owner present, even if for a few hours, requires one.

As far as the holster makers at the 1500... You're still present. Unless, of course, you leave and then come back...which would be dumb.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Could you please cite the law?

Hopefully someone with much better google-fu than I can help a feller out...

It's been discussed here on INGO before - and I believe the relevant portions of code have been cited in those. But of course I can't find those threads... :n00b:

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon

It's been discussed here on INGO before - and I believe the relevant portions of code have been cited in those. But of course I can't find those threads... :n00b:

When I read your post I tried searching as well and couldn't come up with anything. I thought maybe I was using the wrong key words. I hadn't heard that it was illegal to allow someone to borrow a gun (barring certain exceptions like an intoxicated person, a person known to be in the habit of becoming intoxicated, and anyone not legally allowed to posses a handgun), but that may not be the issue.

Edit: I know that a gunsmith is required to have a FFL. I didn't think that would apply here since no one is doing work to the gun directly.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    When I read your post I tried searching as well and couldn't come up with anything. I thought maybe I was using the wrong key words. I hadn't heard that it was illegal to allow someone to borrow a gun (barring certain exceptions like an intoxicated person, a person known to be in the habit of becoming intoxicated, and anyone not legally allowed to posses a handgun), but that may not be the issue.

Gray area...

Borrow vs. taking in order to do paid-for work....

:n00b:

Also: I personally really don't care. I DO care that someone doesn't inadvertently get pinched for ignorance.

-J-

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Looks awesome, I may have to look him up when I pick a new daily piece.

Gray area...

Borrow vs. taking in order to do paid-for work....

:n00b:

Also: I personally really don't care. I DO care that someone doesn't inadvertently get pinched for ignorance.

-J-

Personally I don't think you should tell people something is legal or illegal based on something you thought you read somewhere, that's exactly how misinformation takes root. If you're not ready to cite the IPC or some other respectable source you shouldn't say it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Whew, really had to break out the INGO search-fu, but here you go:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/89321-gunsmith_license.html

You will have to have an FFL, and if doing business in IN will have to have a Tax ID.
    From the ATFE website

Q: Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms? Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer.
    [27 CFR 478.11]
    Q: Does a gunsmith need to enter in a permanent “bound book” record every firearm received for adjustment or repair? If a firearm is brought in for repairs and the owner waits while it is being repaired or if the gunsmith is able to return the firearm to the owner during the same business day, it is not necessary to list the firearm in the “bound book” as an “acquisition.” If the gunsmith has possession of the firearm from one business day to another or longer, the firearm must be recorded as an “acquisition” and a “disposition” in the permanent "bound book" record.
    Q: Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm? No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.
    [27 CFR 478.124(a)]

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

Then the question is whether a holster maker is considered a dealer or gunsmith...especially since they are not in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms.

I also see in the second and third questions they refer to firearms that have been "adjusted or repaired", neither of which would apply to a holster maker.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    As far as the holster makers at the 1500... You're still present. Unless, of course, you leave and then come back...which would be dumb.

I have yet to see anybody stand and wait at the RCS table the entire three-five hours it takes to get a holster done at the 1500. Does that mean RCS is breaking the law?

If you consider wandering the entire 1500 still being present; then those people that bring in a gun for RCS to make a holster for, then go out to lunch, and come back to the 1500 are then putting RCS in the position of breaking the law?

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Agreed with Gabriel. Also, one must consider that the owner gave consent to the individual that he gave the gun to so that the holster could be made.

I would also consider that the firearm itself was not "modified" in any way per BATFE regulations. Basically, the weapon was used as a template so that a properly fitting holster could be made.

I see no problem at all here.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    First, I don't think I commented on the holster yet, but it looks great! Especially for having it back in three hours!

Second, I have found on the BATFE website that one needs an FFL if doing work to a firearm, but in this case they are not. Is there anything that I'm missing? My google fu only found on another forum someone saying that you need an FFL for having the gun overnight to make a holster, but did not list any sources.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    When I got started making Kydex, I called the ATF office in Indy. What they told me was that since I am not gunsmithing the gun, and only using it to make holsters with, that I would not need a FFL.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I tried looking through the US firearms code... but sheesh...talk about a lot of pages! Still working on a definitive answer.

Keep in mind that the issue isn't whether or not a holster maker needs a FFL... its whether they can possess someone's firearm without the owner on premesis without an FFL.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I tried looking through the US firearms code... but sheesh...talk about a lot of pages! Still working on a definitive answer.

Keep in mind that the issue isn't whether or not a holster maker needs a FFL... its whether they can possess someone's firearm without the owner on premesis without an FFL.

So If you let your brother or son borrow your gun to go to the range, is that not the same as if I let him take my gun to make a holster?
    With your train of thought, it would be against the law for anyone to borrow or shoot another person's gun.
    What we are saying in this whole thread, which way off target by the way is there is no registration!!!!!!
    Our guns are not in anyone's name, even the owner's.
    Basically our firearms are tools like a hammer or a fishing pole.
    The only way of knowing for sure who's name the gun is under is the 4473 back at the gun shop.

By the Way the holster is excellent:D

Top Bottom