• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    I've spent the last year or so using the "run what you brung" philosophy and it has served me well. But it could be better. So I think its time to upgrade my range gear. I am looking at upgrading everything but the gun at this point. I'm talking belt, mag pouches and holster. I'd like to find a good quality set up that is multi-discipline legal (and potentially used for carry).

To help you help me hear is some background info:
    Gun: XDm 4.5" 9mm
    Divisions: USPSA Production, IDPA SSP/ESP, SCSA Production/GSSF

I am currently looking at a Wilderness Instructors Belt, Comp-tac International holster, and Comp-tac single mag pouches.

I am open to any and all ideas. I have even been considering a Raven/Bravo concealment type holster. Just with the long lead times I need to make that decision sooner rather than later to be sure to get it in time for next season.

I appreciate any help or real world reviews/advice.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    There are a lot of companies out there making really good kydex gear. DSGarms has stuff ready to go, and they're competitively priced. They have some really good belts as well. I'd check them out if I were you.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would recommend a CR Speed or Double Alpha belt for USPSA. If you want to use the same holster for IDPA, you will need one that is IDPA legal, otherwise, the Blade Tech DOH is popular in USPSA Production (but not IDPA legal). For an option that fits both sports, I use the Comp-Tac belt holster (which I think is a little nicer than the Blade tech, but is not available with the DOH hanger). If you're willing to do it, the DOH hanger is removable, and so you could go with the Blade Tech and convert it to be IDPA legal when necessary.

I am currently using Safariland 771 pouches, but they are not IDPA legal. Since you only need two pouches for IDPA, perhaps you can justify buying some nicer pouches for USPSA (which will hold the magazines further from the body). Cheap pouches, like Uncle Mike's or something, will work fine for IDPA, since you're only allowed two anyway.

The most important, though, I think, is the belt. IDPA has a stupid rule preventing you from using 2-layer belt for its game, and so if I shoot IDPA, I use my regular, daily carry leather belt from The Beltman. But for the other games, the DA or CR Speed belt is by far the way to go. I waited WAY too long to get one. They really work nice by allowing you to fit so much more on your belt.

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    SHCdvldg - thinks for the tip. i will take a look

downzero - i was considering the CR Speed, but leaning more towards one setup for all. it just might make more sense to have sport specific gear.

thank you both.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    SHCdvldg - thinks for the tip. i will take a look

downzero - i was considering the CR Speed, but leaning more towards one setup for all. it just might make more sense to have sport specific gear.

thank you both.

The CR speed belt is the only way to fly in USPSA. And, you can use a CR Speed belt in IDPA as long as you only use the inner or outer belt- lots of guys do it, I've even seen it at some majors I've shot. As long as the belt passes through the belt loops and doesn't exceed 5/16" in thickness or 1 3/4" in height, you're GTG:twocents:

Top Bottom