• ...and so much more!
  • Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Here is a silly question but real.

My gun cabinet is in my walk in closet which opens into our master bath. When we take showers, the bathroom steams up a little (the ventilation is pretty good). I'm sure some of the moisture is ending up in my closet, and thus around the cabinet. It is not a fire rated safe nor is it air tight.

Should I be concerned?

REWSTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Hammond
    Consider it a good thing, in case someone breaks in while you are in the shower your guns are right there! :D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Your guns are not made of sugar.
    Many people carry guns when it's raining or snowing, they roll in the snow, drop them in water ... and yet they dont rust.
    You could actually take a shower with your guns (some people actually do) and they still wouldn't rust as long as you clean them, dry them and oil them like you would do anyway.

AttackMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Nomad
    I think the issue is usually prolonged humidity circulating around the weapons particularly if hey have been dinged and could oxidize at that point. This could be worsened by prolonged exposure to wet surfaces (rags, etc) that will expedite the process. In your case with a relatively closed environment and occasional showers probably does not warrant being overly concerned. Your moisture absorber is a good idea but recognize that much of that moisture is being caught from normal air moisture not necessarily shower induced moisture.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Your guns are not made of sugar.
    Many people carry guns when it's raining or snowing, they roll in the snow, drop them in water ... and yet they dont rust.
    You could actually take a shower with your guns (some people actually do) and they still wouldn't rust as long as you clean them, dry them and oil them like you would do anyway.

Good points! I had thought about that. Humidity is around us all the time. I believe I take pretty good care of them. They get cleaned and lightly oiled after each use.

I was worried about moisture similar to this so I added one of these to my gun cabinet floor.

DampRid Refillable Moisture Absorber - Walmart.com

It sucks moisture out of the air and deposits it into the tank. Every 6 months or so I have to get a new one because it's full.

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    could put a rubber seal (made for windows/doors and has an adhesive back) around the door jam and would get a descent block to help rid of any lingering humidity.

would also oil them a bit on the heavy side as well.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Good points! I had thought about that. Humidity is around us all the time. I believe I take pretty good care of them. They get cleaned and lightly oiled after each use.

Yep.I wouldn't do anything special about them or the way you store them.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    If you go to Walmart you might not be able to find the DampRid brand. Our Walmarts have another brand near the Ironining boards, closest supplies, and vacuum cleaner bag section.

Bed Bath and Beyond sells the DampRid in stores as well as the media to refill them.

fmjinsight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    I was worried about moisture similar to this so I added one of these to my gun cabinet floor.

DampRid Refillable Moisture Absorber - Walmart.com

It sucks moisture out of the air and deposits it into the tank. Every 6 months or so I have to get a new one because it's full.

Just get a bag of the refill media and you can reuse the cup forever. Ive had same one in my safe for years I just dump it every few months and refill the media good to go.

danatkins

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    my gun safe is in the kitchen which is right next to my bathroom with the shower n i've never noticed any moisture on the safe i'd say if you're not noticing any moisture in the closet you should be ok

tornrebel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Indiana
    I would be more worried about documents. Actually if you have the bags that say do not eat laying around that came in the safe then put them back in as they remove moisture. Also if you have any hygrometers from maybe a cigar humidor you could check it. I wouldn't imagine you should have any problems though.

Top Bottom