• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    This would be great for that gun smithing forum that never got created. I'm looking for some tools for a one time project. I would be willing to give some cash for allowing me to use your tools. If you don't feel comfortable with me borrowing, shoot me a PM and maybe we can work out a deal to just buy them, or if you want I can come to you and I will let you do the work and throw you some brown bottles or another form of payment for your services. So here is what I'm looking for:

- 90 degree muzzle facing cutter with or without drill adaptor

- Target crowning tool with or without drill adaptor

- .545 Annular cutter with pilot to reduce the outer diameter of my barrel

- 14-1 LH die with pilot guide

You can probably take a guess at what I am doing but don't fear, I will post pictures up when finished if you are still lost. I appreciate it in advance!

*no I'm not a machinist or a gun smith, if this scares you about loaning me tools, I understand and will take full financial responsibility for them.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    It sounds like you need to borrow someones lathe. Don't know of anything hand held that will do precision cutting like i think you want.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Nope no need for a lathe. If I can't find the tools on here I will end up buying them from CNCwarrior. Just thought I would save some cash since I only plan on using them one time.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Yup threading a barrel. The problem is that I cannot strip the barrel. I have tried and tried to get it strip however there is a part that is not budging. This keeps it from being chucked in a lathe. Instead of not being able to accomplish what I want, I took matters into my own hands and am now in the process of doing it all by hand. It can and is done all the time by hand. I am more than confident that I will be able to do this without a problem as long as I can get the tools. That is where this thread came from. I appreciate the concern, but I do not want a lathe.

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    By not being able to "strip" the barrel I am guessing you mean remove it from the firearm? I am a machinist by trade so I may be able to offer a few suggestions if I had a bit more information. What type of firearm would be a good start ...If its a bolt action im sure things could ne accomplished with the proper lathe with action still attached to the barrel.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    It's a Chinese SKS. I cannot get the Gas block off the barrel. I should be able to get the barrel out of the receiver. That's the issue. I posted something on here many months ago looking for machinists to do the work but no one said they could do what I needed with the barrel like it was.

I've seen many do this work by hand which was why I am not afraid to give it a shot.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I'm all ears. If you want to shoot me a PM we can talk about cost effectiveness. If I wasn't able to acquire the tools to do the job myself, it was going to cost me around 150-200 for the tools anyways. Not say that is how much I am looking to pay someone else to do the work but I understand it won't be super cheap

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    If it were me, I would treat any threading like it was going to be for a suppressor. Not only in case you change your mind but in the event that you sell it.

That is a very valid point. I was actually wondering why it would matter. I get it that the threading would have to be concentric to the bore if that was the case, but shouldn't be concentric to the bore for whatever you are putting on there? Along the same not though, I doubt I will ever suppress it. That is unless I become VitaminK-rich! It's like Oprah-rich but awesomer!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have the threading die and guide for 7.62 you can borrow. I don't have the die stock though, I am looking to borrow one of those sometime. :D (any lenders?)

NYfan0879

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Northeast
    Great thread revival, did you ever find an annular cutter. Cnc warrior has them, but $75 for a one time use isn't cool. I tried pm, but I'm just a noob here. Thanks

Top Bottom