• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcleatherneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Ive gotten tired of ankle carring my Sig P239 and Im looking for alternate ways of carring my back up gun while on duty. So far Im thinking of a tanker style holster and a vertical shoulder holster. Any thoughts about this and recomendations on holsters.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Well if his vest has open sides it would stick out wouldn't it? But it would still be hard to access it with your shirt on. I think an ankle holster is the better option.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    When dad was still alive he got tired of carrying a snub-nose on his ankle so he switched to a North American Arms little 22 magnum derringer. Only time it's going to be effective defensively is at the range you'd need a backup weapon at. Might not be what you are looking for but I could strap 5 of them to my ankle and still not have the weight of my work boots heh.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I used to carry my G27 in a cheap Uncle Mike's fabric holster attached to the side strap of my concealed body armor and it worked fairly well (although I never had to draw it in an emergency). It might work even better for someone who isn't left-handed.

You also might consider the "t-shirt holster" offerings available from 5.11 Tactical and others (you can find ads for them in any Concealed Carry or SWAT magazine). That's another example of a holster that is drawn from the side of the body.

You could also consider one of the several "belly band" type holsters that place the weapon below your belt-line (and below your body armor).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think you'll find your idea much too bulky and difficult to get to. I don't know how big that Sig is, but how about pocket holster? Failing that, I'd look at one of the velcro holsters that hooks on to your vest.

I never ankle carried while in uniform. Seems like even in the city you're going to step in knee deep water at some point in a foot chase occasionally.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    I guess it depends on how tight/tailored are the shirts you wear for work. What has worked for me are the holsters that attach to the vest straps. Thats how I always carried a j frame .38 with no problems for a number of years. If you carry anything inside you vest and take some type of blunt force impact, fighting, car wreck, etc. you'll be looking for another method of carry while your cracked ribs heal.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    In the past I have used a holster that attaches to my vest. I assume your uniform shirts are zip up. If that is the case I'd probably go with the vest holster and replace your ankle weapon with a boot knife.

The 5.11 holster shirts some mentioned earlier run right around $75 for one. The so called holsters on these shirts aren't formed to a handgun either. They're more like pockets sown on the sides of the shirt.

Top Bottom