• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I need to put some desiccant in my gun safe but I can't find any at local gun or sports shops. Any suggestions on where to get some?

My safe does not have electrical outlet capacity.

Buzzard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    A couple of options....
    If you don't mind ordering online, google Drierite. It's sold through a lot of sources. I use it in a cabinet at work and it is nice because it changes to pink when it needs to be changed. Just pour some in an open container in the bottom of your cabinet.
    Another option is looking at good auto parts stores that sell a lot of painting accessories. Desiccant is used in some pre-dryer units for painting. I know you can get it through Eastwood, but I am sure there are other sources.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Go to your local pet store... look for the "crystals cat-litter"... it's a non-clay type of cat litter that is somewhat clear-ish, sort of like large crystals of sugar or salt. Be sure there is no "clay type" cat little mixed in (some of these are a mix of clay). If there is no clay type mixed in, guess what you just found... a large bag/jug full of silica gel... most often it will even have the blue "moisture indicating" type in it too.

300_94387.jpg

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Didnt know about the Tidy Cat, but the craft store is a cheep place to pick it up. I think I bought a 10 pound bag for $12 last time I picked some up. When it is full, you can just bake it at a low temp to dry it back out.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've used these (purchased from Lowes & Walmart) to suck the moisture out of my gun cabinet. They seem to work well and I replace them every 6 months or so.

Amazon.com: Willert Home Prod. 755.6 Keep it Dry Closet Moisture Remover Crystal: Home & Kitchen
    If I'm not mistaken, the liquid produced from those is extremely corrosive so don't spill it in your gun-safe... IMHO I would just keep those products completley out of my home...

FWIW, ALL silica gel can be re-generated by baking it for a few hours at 230-250. You can go hotter than that but I caution you to bring the temp up slowly to allow the moisture to work it's way out of the silica gel.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If I'm not mistaken, the liquid produced from those is extremely corrosive so don't spill it in your gun-safe... IMHO I would just keep those products completley out of my home...

FWIW, ALL silica gel can be re-generated by baking it for a few hours at 230-250. You can go hotter than that but I caution you to bring the temp up slowly to allow the moisture to work it's way out of the silica gel.
    Too hot and the silica will fracture/break/have issues.

I do 220 myself as my silica is contained within plastic containers :).

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO

This type of product, including the DampRid, is usually anhydrous calcium chloride. As water is absorbed, the material changes to hydrochloric acid and calcium oxide. If you use them, make sure you take care with the stuff and change at recommended intervals.

For me, the silica gel type desiccants are a better choice. They absorb the water, but there is no change in the chemistry - and they can be regenerated by heating in the oven.

PS - I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I am a chemist.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Gander Mtn. has a perforated metal can full of it. This is what I use, stick in oven to recharge.

This is what I purchased. It was available, designed for the specific task I have in view, and packaged in a metal can designed for heating in the oven.

I probably could have gotten it cheaper online, but I was in GM on a Thursday morn, with #45, looking for.22 or 9mm ammo. These calibers were sold out within the first 15 customers. Customers were walking out with 20 boxes of Remington UMC 9mm, and three buckets of .22. Supply was gone within five minutes of the opening the doors.

So I did not totally waste the half-hour wait (I got there at 08:30 and was still #45 in line), I picked up two boxes of .38SPL and this desiccant. At least the items in the safe are protected from moisture and I have 100 rounds for my Marlin 1894.

Thanks for all the advice on the desiccant. I needed the info. :ingo:ers are good sources of friends and info.

Top Bottom