• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I recently acquired a springfield 1911 and am now on the hunt for a new holster. I know there have been plenty of these threads and ive browsed them but could still use a little help. Ive used fobus paddle holsters in the past but the 1911 is much bigger and heavier so id like to get something a little nicer.

Just to narrow it down a bit:

Comfort is probably #1
    My 1911 is full sized
    Want an OWB
    I do a lot of hiking/hunting so i need it to have some descent retention
    Would like it to cover the entire length of the barrel
    Not too concearned about being concealed
    Not ruling them out but not a huge fan of buttons
    Price range $60 give or take a little

Thanks in advance

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I recently acquired a springfield 1911 and am now on the hunt for a new holster. I know there have been plenty of these threads and ive browsed them but could still use a little help. Ive used fobus paddle holsters in the past but the 1911 is much bigger and heavier so id like to get something a little nicer.

Just to narrow it down a bit:

Comfort is probably #1
    My 1911 is full sized
    Want an OWB
    I do a lot of hiking/hunting so i need it to have some descent retention
    Would like it to cover the entire length of the barrel
    Not too concearned about being concealed
    Not ruling them out but not a huge fan of buttons
    Price range $60 give or take a little

Thanks in advance
    AMHenry, owner and operator of Henry Holsters might just be able to hook you up, if you are interested in kydex....

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Have you checked out Old Faithful holsters?

If you're interested in IWB, there's appears to be similar to the Crossbreeds. I have one for my compact 1911 and the way it distributes the weight is pretty nice--makes it pretty comfortable.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I like the look of the Henry Holsters. Is he on here? The old faithful holsters look decent as well but not real big on the high positioned OWB holster. Not really looking to conceal.

SilveradoII

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I ended up getting a BlackHawk. It does have a release positioned right at the end of your finger but easy to find. Didn't like it at first but my problem wasn't with the holster. I got a new BladeTech belt made for carry and it made all the difference in the world.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    Raven Concealment Phantom (BEST OWB holster on the market IMHO). Check out the options from GCode. Definitely look at Bladetech. I would personally avoid the Blackhawk serpa holster as the lock has been known to cause training scars that will place your trigger on the trigger as you draw. The comfort of the RCS Phantom is amazing and the design is simple. To get good quality and all the things you're looking for, you'll need to raise your budget. Not a ton, but you definitely get what you pay for in the world of handgun holsters.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I ended up getting a BlackHawk. It does have a release positioned right at the end of your finger but easy to find. Didn't like it at first but my problem wasn't with the holster. I got a new BladeTech belt made for carry and it made all the difference in the world.
    Practice, practice, practice, practice with a BlackHawk.

If you can do so safely put yourself under some sort of stress (such as training) and ensure you keep your trigger finger straight and clear.

Many have a habit of hooking their finger in, which is dangerous on this holster.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Kwood, Ingo member just made my a holster for my Colt 1911. He did a great job with mine.

IMG_0200_zpsbd2fc7f9.jpg

IMG_0202_zps28d3b3fb.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I would contact Hooch Holsters here on INGO. He has made a holster for my M&P and he will be making several more including my 1911 this week.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen what he has made for me yet, but his attitude is great and I have faith that it will be an outstanding product.

Plus, it is in your price range.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Garrett Industries Silent Thunder STX is a very good Kydex leather lined holster. I own one and have been very happy with it

NewHolster008.jpg

Silent Thunder Holsters - Garrett Industries, LLC

Another good holster if you want retention is El Pso Saddlery Dual Duty, I also one of these for my 5" 1911 and really like it

Dual Duty (Three Slot)

Now if you want to have a holster for the BBQ crowd then you can not beat Tucker Gun Leather's HF1, I also have oe of these for my 3" 1911 and wow is it sweet. It will take a while to receive it but man is it worth it!! Mine has the full stamping and its a very sweet looking holster

RobarKimber004.jpg

The HF1 Belt Holster | The Choice of Texas Rangers | Tucker Gun Leather

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks for all of the input so far guys. Kwood contacted me and that looks to be a promising option. With any of these recomended holsters can you adjust how high/low they sit on your waist?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Contact Henry Holsters. He lives in Texas and makes custom Kydex holsters. I just talked with him on monday about the specifics i wanted. He sent me the paypal bill Tuesday morning and He shipped it off same day. It should be here Friday. Great Customer service and a great product from what i've seen with my friends!

https://www.facebook.com/henryholsters

Edit: I ordered my custom kydex OWB holster on Tuesday and i was wearing it Friday afternoon. Great Service and a Great product! 40$ shipped.

Last edited:

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Contact Henry Holsters. He lives in Texas and makes custom Kydex holsters. I just talked with him on monday about the specifics i wanted. He sent me the paypal bill Tuesday morning and He shipped it off same day. It should be here Friday. Great Customer service and a great product from what i've seen with my friends!

https://www.facebook.com/henryholsters

Damn, there are two Henry holsters on Facebook, one of them is here in Indiana, and is the one I use.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Yeah, I noticed awhile ago that there was another Henry Holsters on Facebook. He has more likes.... but I don't ship holsters that leave the trigger guard partially exposed.

If he can make good money at $35 shipped, more power to him.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Didnt want to make a new thread, But im looking at a new OWB holster for the 1911, never carried much owb and id like to give it a run. Looking at the T-gat slide by desantis. What do you guys think? It looks like itd ride to high to stay secure... my requirments are , thumb break and preferably forward cant.. it needs to be second skin snug or i wont wear it. Holster has to be molded as well.
    like to spend around 50 bucks. Just curious what the pros are runnin

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Didnt want to make a new thread, But im looking at a new OWB holster for the 1911, never carried much owb and id like to give it a run. Looking at the T-gat slide by desantis. What do you guys think? It looks like itd ride to high to stay secure... my requirments are , thumb break and preferably forward cant.. it needs to be second skin snug or i wont wear it. Holster has to be molded as well.
    like to spend around 50 bucks. Just curious what the pros are runnin

I had something in mind until I read $50. Tucker makes great holsters that ride high and fit tight to the body. I got one for my S&W 586 and the gun fits so well, I considered making it my CC gun. But the gun is still kinda heavy and I would hate to lose that one if something went bad while carrying it.

I am contemplating having him make me one for my 1911. He will give you most any cant you want, w/wo thumb break, all kinds of options. Nice guy to deal with. You can talk to him about your needs. He will help you.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I had something in mind until I read $50. Tucker makes great holsters that ride high and fit tight to the body. I got one for my S&W 586 and the gun fits so well, I considered making it my CC gun. But the gun is still kinda heavy and I would hate to lose that one if something went bad while carrying it.

I am contemplating having him make me one for my 1911. He will give you most any cant you want, w/wo thumb break, all kinds of options. Nice guy to deal with. You can talk to him about your needs. He will help you.

i could be convinced to push the envelope on the price a bit. I was hoping to stay on the inexspensive side just to give it a try. Not really experimented much in the OC world. Maybe throw it on to get groceries and gas. See how it feels. Then drop the big bucks if i like it. Does tucker have a website or is that just an Ingo username?

ah hes based outta texas, theirs a guy in town that does really good custom leather work. I just dont wanna pony up the cash and wait 6 weeks for an experimental holster. But i do appreciate the suggestion. Looks like he makes nice stuff

Top Bottom