• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kraaken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I'm stuck - anyone have good ideas on a gun safe under $500 they recommend? Good deals on the market for safe's in general? I was told they are like aquariums- get the next larger one you think you need...

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    What size are you looking for? Be advised, unless you are looking for a small safe for handguns there are not that many options out there for a good safe for around $500.00.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you can wait till black friday the 899 dollar safes are about 550 then. One at Menards, Gander M., Dicks, and lowes have had them for several years as one of the door busters. Till then maybe a gun cabinet could get you buy and latter be good ammo storage locker.

OOOHH I forgot ammo is now in the safe and the guns are in the cabinet cause the ammo is worth more.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    If you can wait till black friday the 899 dollar safes are about 550 then. One at Menards, Gander M., Dicks, and lowes have had them for several years as one of the door busters. Till then maybe a gun cabinet could get you buy and latter be good ammo storage locker.

OOOHH I forgot ammo is now in the safe and the guns are in the cabinet cause the ammo is worth more.

^^ this. Also you can find good deals at Rural King, and Tractor Supply on black friday as well. Its not uncommon to find the 36 gun safes for around $599 or $699 at those times. And smaller ones even cheaper.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    About the only safe that will fit the number of guns that it say's it would are the round ones from pendleton. they use a lazy susan like round assembly to hold them and if it say's holds 24 guns there are 24 spaces for them and all will fit with scopes and say a bi-pod attached. Nice setups but weird looking and round.

I think if you take about 75% of the amount of gun on the fits scale you should be about correct if most of them do not have scopes extended mags ect.

Then there is the getting to the ones in the back row deal. Might as well have it in the bedroom cause you need to unload about 12 guns from an 18 gun safe to get one in the back row. In a 38 gun safe you are going to remove 24 to get in the back row.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Yea, I wasn't trying to dis you or anything of the sort. I was just commenting on the safe after looking at the link. It's pretty much like most safes around that size. They say it's an 18, 24, or whatever, and I just don't see how they hold that many, really.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Yea, I wasn't trying to dis you or anything of the sort. I was just commenting on the safe after looking at the link. It's pretty much like most safes around that size. They say it's an 18, 24, or whatever, and I just don't see how they hold that many, really.
    When they say they will hold 24 they mean 24 .22 caliber rifle with no scopes or other attachments:D

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    When they say they will hold 24 they mean 24 .22 caliber rifle with no scopes or other attachments:D
    Exactly....
    That's why you should buy a safe that's twice as big as you think you need.
    At least half of the safe will be needed for ammo, mags, accessories, and all of the other stuff that you don't want the Wife Unit to see. ;)

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    That's cool! Thanks for posting. :)

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I have and like the Barska biometric safe. A few hundred bucks, and it works by fingerprint recognition, and allows you to program multiple fingerprints.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I'm stuck - anyone have good ideas on a gun safe under $500 they recommend? Good deals on the market for safe's in general? I was told they are like aquariums- get the next larger one you think you need...

I.M.O.
    You are starting off right by doing research ! ??
    Two things to remember well actually three ! First of all Size does matter ! and what are you trying to protect your your guns from?? Fire or Theft ?

Good luck!

Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I picked up this one today at Menard's for $440:

Sentinel 14-Gun 7.6 cu. ft. Fire Resistant Safe with Electronic Lock

FS-14-MB-E_CLOSED.jpg
    FS-14-MB-E_PROP_LR.jpg

Top Bottom