• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There was a discussion recently about various ambidextrous charging handles for the AR15/M16 rifles. The main topic of the discussion was the Rainier Arms Raptor charging handle. I've been using the Raptor since SHOT show 2013 and have been very pleased with it. It works well from either side of the rifle and I have not had any issues with it catching or snagging on my gear. The topic of gas coming back to the face of the shooter was raised and this is the only area I can find fault with the Raptor, it does nothing to prevent this and since I shoot with a suppressor it is a small issue that I had simply gotten used to. That thread got me curious about alternatives so I went a Googlin' to see what was out there. I was familiar with the PRI Gasbuster but was never fond of the design.

My search led me to the Armageddon Tactical website and the GMS-15 (Charging Handle | Armageddon Tactical). I liked what I saw on the website and found a positive online review so I decided to give one a shot. It showed up a few days ago but this is my first day back at the office so I tested it out this morning.

Initial thoughts:

Fit and finish are good, no discernible machining marks and the anodizing seems smoother and offers less resistance in the rifle than some other charging handles I've used.

IMG_2513_zps3a308725.jpg

IMG_2514_zps19ce41c0.jpg

I first set out to compare it in size and function to the Raptor I have been using. The size of the pull levers are very similar between the Raptor and the GMS-15. The Raptor levers have a swept forward design where the GMS-15 runs more perpendicular to the rifle. While I've never had an issue with the Raptor snagging on my gear, my thought is that the GMS-15 is less likely to do so.

IMG_2525_zps2d1f9935.jpg

IMG_2526_zps115c86d1.jpg

IMG_2527_zpsfcad9718.jpg

IMG_2528_zpsfae52fde.jpg

Operation of both the Raptor and GMS-15 is essentially the same (both can be operated by simply pulling rearward), the means by which they unlock is significantly different. The Raptor levers are connected and pulling back on one side cams the other side back as well. This system works very well and tolerances are precise, I cannot find any "play" between the left and right levers.

The GMS-15 uses a straight pull mechanism which works as well as the Raptor and allows the CH to be unlocked by pulling back anywhere along the forward surface on either side of the rifle. The pull lever slides back on the body of the CH and has just a bit more "play" in it than the Raptor. My rudimentary tools tell me the lever moves approximately 1/32" to the rear before engaging the locking bar and beginning the unlocking process. This is hardly a concern and is likely an unavoidable result of the design.

Here is a pic of the GMS pulled just far enough back to unlock from the receiver but not yet pulling the BCG out of battery.
    IMG_2520_zps01bc5112.jpg

With the GMS-15 in the fully closed position, there is a tab in the center which protrudes to the rear.
    IMG_2514_zps19ce41c0.jpg

This tab appears to be an extension of the main body. It comes into play during the only aspect of the GMS-15 that I find unusual. The operation of the GMS-15 changes if the BCG is locked to the rear or if the receiver has been pivoted open to remove the BCG. It appears that the GMS-15 uses the resistance provided by the recoil spring to operate with a simple pull to the rear. If the BCG is locked back or the reeiver is open this resistance is no longer present and onlocking the GMS-15 requires the user to place their thumb on the tab while pulling the lever to the rear.

With the receiver open, the GMS-15 does not want to unlock with a simple pull to the rear
    IMG_2523_zpsb67addeb.jpg

Placing the thumb on the tab and using it as leverage allows the user to unlock the GMS-15.
    IMG_2524_zps84849d6d.jpg

While I find this a bit unusual, it does not concern me. If my BCG is locked to the rear due to an empty magazine, I slap the bolt release with the palm of my support hand. I operate the CH with my right hand when locking the BCG back and end up placing my thumb on the tab naturally so clearing malfunctions is no different for me. Disassembling the rifle is not something I am required to do under stress so using the tab for leverage to unlock the CH shouldn't be an issue, simply something to get accustomed to.

The GMS stands for "Gas Managements System" and this CH accomplishes that task via an angled port through the body just forward of the pull lever and a semicircular cut into the handle itself.

IMG_2515_zpsbbb482ef.jpg

IMG_2516_zpsd5ca493b.jpg

As excess gas blows back through the upper receiver it vents through this port and into the cut which forces it forward and away from the shooter's face. I shot my rifle with the GMS-15 installed and noticed an immediate change in gas blow back, there was none. The only issue I could see this design causing would be that it pushes the gas forward toward any receiver mounted optic. On my rifle this gas is going to hit the rear sight which should act as a barrier and prevent this from occurring. The absence of a rear sight coupled with an optic mounted farther to the rear than I've seen would likely be required for this to be a problem. I'll know more once I get a few thousand rounds through the rifle with it.

All things considered I'm very pleased with the GMS-15. It appears to work equally as well as the Raptor as an ambidextrous charging handle but with the added benefit of eliminating gas to the users face. It feels well built but I cannot see the internals to pass judgement on whether I believe it will hold up long term. At this point I have no reason to doubt that it will. Time will tell and after I have the opportunity to run it through it's paces I'll be looking for another GMS-15 for my coyote upper.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    It looks like it doesn't have the "pinch the **** out of your thumb" thing that the raptor has.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    My thumbs are very delicate. Maybe they're flabby thumbs and need to do more curls or something.

I didn't get the opportunity to try out the new handle as phylodog had an emergency. All I really cared about was getting my freshly stippled m&p 45 back from him. Regarding the new handle, I'll probe him further next time I see him.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    My thumbs are very delicate. Maybe they're flabby thumbs and need to do more curls or something.

I didn't get the opportunity to try out the new handle as phylodog had an emergency. All I really cared about was getting my freshly stippled m&p 45 back from him. Regarding the new handle, I'll probe him further next time I see him.

Did he agree to that??

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    bumping this thread as I just found it.

Phylodog, do you have any updates in regards to the gas blowing forward while suppressed towards a rear mounted optic?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    bumping this thread as I just found it.

Phylodog, do you have any updates in regards to the gas blowing forward while suppressed towards a rear mounted optic?

I've never noticed any fouling on my Aimpoint ocular from gas but I use the T1 and it is mounted as far forward as possible on the receiver so there is a decent amount of space between the CH and the ocular.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I run the Armageddon and it hasn't affected my Aimpoint Comp M4s. Only thing it might affect is a larger optic such an a Vortex Viper 1-4x or similar where the ocular objective is mounted over the rear buis.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Bringing this back to the top...

Shortly after phylodog gave his review, I ordered one for myself. Recently, I noticed that it wasn't staying locked, it would cycle with the bolt. So, I emailed the company, explained what was going on, and asked if there was anything I could do to fix it. Their reply? There were some issues with the gen 1. Give us your address, and we'll send you a gen 2 free of charge.

Customer service five years later!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Small update...

Along with the replacement charging handle, I got a letter apologizing for the problems I had with my gen 1. To me, Armageddon Tactical went above and beyond with their customer service.

Top Bottom