• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Two of my Eotech failed in the same week of shooting. Figuring Eotech would have good customer service and back their product like most company's in the firearms world do I sent off for a return number. What I got back was one of my sights is a 511 N cell sight. It will not power up at all. Seeing that it was made in 2004 Eotech says it is too old to fix! They offered to upgrade me to a new model for 264.00 and the old sight back. My 512 started not being able to adjust up to high brightness making it worthless in the day light. Even though they have not seen it they want 80.00 to fix it.

I tend to think this is some poor service. I an not sending them anymore of my money. $800.00 in new sights that are worthless after 10 years. I will buy me some Aimpoints . I have never had a problem with a Aimpoint. I know they happen and had never had a problem with the Eotechs until these ones failed either. Anyway Eotech just got their last buck from this old dude. My small purchases of course will not bother them as a company but IMO Eotech as a company and product sucks.:twocents:

There feeling better already!!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    A local LEO had the same problem with his/them, too old - I think about 5/6 yrs?

I like them or did like them for the most part. Mostly for the reticle I guess. It gives me a bad taste when you pay the kind of money they demand and then tell someone a few years later that it is too old. The trade in or trade up is pretty generous but not generous enough IMO. It would be one thing if these were hard use sights but neither were. I use my guns almost weekly but do not abuse them. Neither of mine are all scratched up or anything.

I had almost forgot...I also bought a used 512 a few years back from my local gun shop. It would never hold zero. You could get it zeroed but the next time you pulled it out thee was no telling where the shot was going. I returned it for a refund and it was resold. (guess they thought I was full of it). I happened to know the guy that bought it again and he had the same problem. He sent it in for repair and I think it was free to him. Anyways they do have a following. I am just no longer one of them.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I hate to hear that. I don't own one nor have I used one but I've heard good things about them. I never could justify the cost. I'm sure they're nice and all but dang!

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The n cell one was a turd anyways. For 260 they should give you the best one they have. Botach just had a sale on them

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    EoTech has been having issues for years to include wondering zeros, battery life issues, disappearing reticles and falling off guns for no reason. The only consistent reason I have heard anyone like them is because of the reticle.

I will trade a neat reticle for a dot that stays on for 3-8 years 24 hrs a day and a company that stands behind their product such as Aimpoint does.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Whens Aimpoint going to come out with something like an EoTech reticle? Maybe a 30moa outer dot instead of 65 to cut down on the size? Once Aimpoint does this they'll have the market completely, if thats possible.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like them or did like them for the most part. Mostly for the reticle I guess. It gives me a bad taste when you pay the kind of money they demand and then tell someone a few years later that it is too old. The trade in or trade up is pretty generous but not generous enough IMO. It would be one thing if these were hard use sights but neither were. I use my guns almost weekly but do not abuse them. Neither of mine are all scratched up or anything.

I had almost forgot...I also bought a used 512 a few years back from my local gun shop. It would never hold zero. You could get it zeroed but the next time you pulled it out thee was no telling where the shot was going. I returned it for a refund and it was resold. (guess they thought I was full of it). I happened to know the guy that bought it again and he had the same problem. He sent it in for repair and I think it was free to him. Anyways they do have a following. I am just no longer one of them.

So the gun store re-sold a sight they knew was bad......Name please.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    EoTech has been having issues for years to include wondering zeros, battery life issues, disappearing reticles and falling off guns for no reason. The only consistent reason I have heard anyone like them is because of the reticle.

I will trade a neat reticle for a dot that stays on for 3-8 years 24 hrs a day and a company that stands behind their product such as Aimpoint does.

I bought an Aimpoint 5000 in the mid 90's. It has been on multiple guns including a Colt realtree in .44 mag. and a shotgun. Both recoiled like demons. Site still works just fine and I replaced the original Battery this summer.
    Aimpoint has my business. Eotech wants way to much for their stuff.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was an EO fan when I was first issued one, mainly due to the reticle. I found that after a few months I wasn't paying attention to anything but the center dot so the rest was kind of pointless. I've seen a dozen broken EO's in the past few years and no broken Aimpoints. I don't bust on people who use them and I honestly believe their quality had improved substantially in recent years but I still won't spend my money with them.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    ALL but one of my rifles run Aimpoint for a reason. I've dealt with a lot of optics. From my experience, I've NEVER come across a dead CompM4. A couple dead CompM2, and a handful of dead CompM. As for EOTechs, I'm not sure why the military issued them. I do run one XPS on my AR pistol though. Like others have said, the reticle is nice for CQB.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    My EOTECH's have all been replaced by acogs. Done

I tried out a ACOG for awhile. Nice little scope IMO just a tad bit to much power for my primary likely use of closer distance. I mainly felt the FOV was to restrictive for up close. One thing for sure, it was good glass and held zero.

Overwatch

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2014
    Putnam County
    Disclosure-- I prefer EO Techs. I have had aimpoints, Acogs, leupods, elbits, and EO Techs. I was using red dots from Israel while I was in the Army in the 1990s. With all that experience, I prefer the EO Techs. My personal rifles have EO Techs. My duty rifle has an EO Tech. My son's rifle has an EO Tech. I have 4 EO Techs and they all work.

With that said -- EO Tech or not, I don't think it is unreasonable for a company to want to charge money to replace a 10 year old optic. It is not unreasonable to charge a fee to repair a 5/6 year old optic. Warranties are warranties, then they expire.

As someone mentioned up-thread -- the 511 was always crap. Who uses the N battery? Nobody. This is a chance to get a new, updated site for half price. Don't just walk to the phone, RUN to the phone. Take their deal.

Top Bottom