• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I'm looking for a rail light for my g23 gen4. I have a sure fire light that isn't mountable and it's great. I see the x300 Ultra and x300v. The v has IR. Is that for use with NVG? I don't own NVG, so I'm guessing the IR is pointless for me.What other lights should I consider. The primary purpose is to live on the g23 in the safe and light up when called upon.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The v has IR. Is that for use with NVG?

Yep.

What other lights should I consider. The primary purpose is to live on the g23 in the safe and light up when called upon.

I have a few TRL1s and x300Ultra's. The ultra is def brighter. However the TRL1 can strobe and is cheaper. There are benefits to both. If its just going to live in the safe.....

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Yep.

I have a few TRL1s and x300Ultra's. The ultra is def brighter. However the TRL1 can strobe and is cheaper. There are benefits to both. If its just going to live in the safe.....

My EDC is a G27 and G42BUG. So yeah, it likely won't get carried a ton.

how would a strobe be tactically better?

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

Have you ever tried to stare at a strobe light before? causes your eyes to constantly readjust and many times you have look away. I feel it disrupts the brain a bit more than a standard beam. I'm sure people with more knowledge than me will be along soon to explain more.

There are people that like strobe functionality and people that dont. You just have to try for yourself. I just like the option of having it if I decided to use it.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

Im no expert on weapon lights by any means, but I think the strobe feature is supposed to be used to disorientate the bad guy. I've never used the strobe feature except for playing around. Maybe there's another use I'm not aware of.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I've never been able to come up with a reason to have a strobe on a weapon light. TRL 1 is a good light, I've used it on my duty gun for he last 3 years. I'm getting ready to ditch it for an X 300 though. I don't like the controls on the TRL for momentary and constant on. The x300 is a lot more versatile in that.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I've never been able to come up with a reason to have a strobe on a weapon light. TRL 1 is a good light, I've used it on my duty gun for he last 3 years. I'm getting ready to ditch it for an X 300 though. I don't like the controls on the TRL for momentary and constant on. The x300 is a lot more versatile in that.
    How are the controls different? I have no experience with the X300.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    How are the controls different? I have no experience with the X300.

On the TRL 1, using your support side thumb (assuming your right handed) for momentary you push down, for constant you push up to lock it in. The x300 can be locked into constant by either up or down and can be done on either side. You can also push it in (away from you) on either side for momentary.

Top Bottom