• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I was at gander mountain today and I was looking at the tactical gear. But WOW those prices were high.

Does anyone know of good places online to buy that stuff at a better price?

I've looked at slickguns.com, but wasn't sure if there were other sites yall would recommend.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have had good luck with LA Police Gear. Good selection and they have some great deals if you jump on them quickly enough.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wear Carhartt B342 pants almost 7 days a week. Carhartt doesn't label them "tactical" and I'm not sure they qualify for it but they're by far the best britches I've had in years. I think I have 12 pair now in tan, green, brown & black. I buy them from Sierra Trading Post when they're on sale and typically pay $24/pair. They're factory seconds but I've only had one pair I could find a flaw with and that is a grouchy zipper but it works.

Carhartt Cotton Ripstop Pants (For Men)

smith7.3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    ft wayne
    I second the ripstops, and Sierra trading post. I wear these in a factory / fabrication environment 5 days a week.
    Very lightweight and durable.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Good stuff.... keep the suggestions coming!

What about boots?

I was at Gander Mountain yesterday. I tried on underarmour Reebok danner and 5.11 boots. I wanted yalls recommendation of boots.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Under Armor, 5.11 & Rocky boots are ok but don't seem to hold up long term. I've had great luck with American made Danner boots, I've got a few pair with many years on them and they're still going strong. My favorite boots are a pair of Carolinas, they've held up for a long time now but they don't look tactical.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have had good luck w/ Carhartt & Dickies pants. For some reason, I am hard on my pants and these are about the only ones that have held up > 2-3 months.

For a less-expensive belt, I like a Wilderness or trainer belt. I have a 5.11 Tactical Trainer belt that has been doing the job for a few years now and looks almost new.

I don't skimp on footwear (well, not much anyway) -- just too important. I have some Rocky Outbacks that have been worn 4-5 days/week for the last 3 years and are my second-longest lasting boot over the past 28yrs (only beat by the Rocky Eliminators I purchased back in high school that lasted 12 years!) Most of my boots have fallen apart <2yrs. Biggest issue I have with Rocky is that they will no longer resole the boots. I would certainly give Danner a look, great build-quality reputation and they offer the recrafting service.

Plenty of good brands for footwear, but they can get salty (IMO) pretty fast.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Danner Acadia. Best money I have ever spent on a pair of boots. If you can get past the initial cost they are totally worth it in my opinion. Made in the USA and they are resoleable for when you wear them out

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    I just bought a couple pair of the Carhartt FORCE rip stop cargo pants. I'm anxious to see how these work out for me. Good to hear they are coming highly recommended. I did actually get the first pair at Gander for $49 and thought I could do better online. Only found them the same price there too.

I wear Carhartt B342 pants almost 7 days a week. Carhartt doesn't label them "tactical" and I'm not sure they qualify for it but they're by far the best britches I've had in years. I think I have 12 pair now in tan, green, brown & black. I buy them from Sierra Trading Post when they're on sale and typically pay $24/pair. They're factory seconds but I've only had one pair I could find a flaw with and that is a grouchy zipper but it works.

Carhartt Cotton Ripstop Pants (For Men)

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    Anyone have a link to good sale price on a solid tactical belt. I was at gander mountain today. They seemed awfully high for a strap belt.

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    Pants-Tru Spec 24/7--40% cotton/60% polyster blend ripstop pants. I have 4 pair of shorts and 4 pair of long regular BDU pants. Good for competition, general wear or maybe at work (if you can). You can buy them on line through many outlets (Galls, limited colors but even at the NRA site). The Army/Navy store at the corner of 21st & Arlington has them in stock. Great features: elastic banded waist, (very comfortable) flash light pocket or a knife pocket on both sides of pants. One of the best features, if you CWC, in the cargo pockets on booth sides they have two slots to put magazines into.

Boots-just bought some Under armour, so far they are great durable and comfortable (only had about 8 months)

Hope that helps!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For boots, Ridge AirTAC. I have been wearing them since I was in the Coast Guard. I know the abuse they can take. I normally get 2-3 years out of a pair. As for pants, I like 5.11 TDU.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Whichever pants are on sale. 5.11, Tru Spec 24/7, or LA Police Gear all work.

Asolo or Merrell boots from Sierra Trading Post or REI.

Standard GI BDU/ACU/ABU belt.

Top Bottom