• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I'm planning on doing some backpacking up North this year. I haven't backpacked in an area with dangerous wildlife before, so I've always just pocket carried a small gun. Now that I'm going to be in a slightly more risky situation, I'd like to carry at least a .357 revolver while backpacking. What holster do you all find comfortable while carrying a backpack? I typically backpack fairly light and carry a 45 liter pack.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

I didn't like the price at first but for me this is the best answer to the question at hand. So far I have used mine on a couple of 6 milers with just my hydration pack and plan to use it this fall in Gatlinburg with our baby in an osprey poco child carrier pending test runs.

So far it's awesome, comfortable, fairly quick to draw with practice, and I like having some things on my front I can get to as well.

I tried a gp100 in it but my glock 20 was more comfy/less bulky and easier to draw, not to mention 16 rds of .357 like power vs 6.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Since you're using a 45 L pack, it would seem you are concerned with weight. Just as you carefully regulate how many OZ of gear you carry, the OZ of your gun will also matter.

Are you willing to OC while hiking, or do you need to conceal? If you can OC, I actually prefer a hip holster that hangs down a bit. Think of the old leather holsters they used for revolvers or such. That way it keeps it below your hip and out of the way of your waist strap on your pack. Alternately, you can hip carry by simply putting the holster on your waist strap, but then if you drop your pack, you'll have to change it up to get the gun back on your person.

If you CC, the Hill People gear is probably your best bet, although a cheaper option is a 357 in a square pocket holster in a cargo pocket. (Plus then you look really stylish with your cargo shorts.)

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I use one the older 5.11 chest rigs with a couple misc MOLLE pouches. One pouch for my G27/reload, one for my ten essentials, and filed knife in the middle. Fits perfectly between the straps of a Osprey Aether pack.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I use one the older 5.11 chest rigs with a couple misc MOLLE pouches. One pouch for my G27/reload, one for my ten essentials, and filed knife in the middle. Fits perfectly between the straps of a Osprey Aether pack.

Does the "shoulder strap on shoulder strap" wear on you at all? I like the idea but that's my biggest concern.

I go hiking out west in some far reach places, so this is a helpful topic for me.

Here's something I just found: Maxpedition Thermite Versipack

It clips around your waist like a belt (I wonder if you could use it as your belt), but the pack drops below your waistline. It would rest below your pack's hip belt and the leg strap would keep it in place.

Rubbing issues might still be the belt (although I typically wear a belt with no issues of pack rub) and the leg strap.

Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4647&d=1290708366

This is what I've recommended on some of the other threads on this topic, I've used this while backpacking and I like it. If the handgun you're trying to carry has a Serpa made for it, the duty jacket loop will lower it enough to clear the waist belts of most packs while still keeping the gun accessible. I've personally never liked the idea of rocking a tactical vest underneath my pack just to carry a handgun.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

I didn't like the price at first but for me this is the best answer to the question at hand. So far I have used mine on a couple of 6 milers with just my hydration pack and plan to use it this fall in Gatlinburg with our baby in an osprey poco child carrier pending test runs.

So far it's awesome, comfortable, fairly quick to draw with practice, and I like having some things on my front I can get to as well.

I tried a gp100 in it but my glock 20 was more comfy/less bulky and easier to draw, not to mention 16 rds of .357 like power vs 6.

Beat me to it. HPG makes good gear.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Not built for holding pistols but this may be an option:

[video=youtube;QOaCzHmXw7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOaCzHmXw7c[/video]

That...might be perfect. I usually go light and fast on hikes, whether they're day hikes or overnights. This might be a way to go without a traditional pack, or one of my smaller ones; and I could have a pistol or bear mace at the ready.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I have a ribz pack, I haven't tried it out yet but the lack of a good way to secure the firearm is what led me to the chest rig. The straps did not bother me since it was just another thin layer of nylon. Although I did mod it a little by taking out the Fastex buckles on the chest side and replacing them with tri-glides.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Does the "shoulder strap on shoulder strap" wear on you at all? I like the idea but that's my biggest concern.

I go hiking out west in some far reach places, so this is a helpful topic for me.

Here's something I just found: Maxpedition Thermite Versipack

It clips around your waist like a belt (I wonder if you could use it as your belt), but the pack drops below your waistline. It would rest below your pack's hip belt and the leg strap would keep it in place.

Rubbing issues might still be the belt (although I typically wear a belt with no issues of pack rub) and the leg strap.
    I personally could not wear anything close to a drop leg holster all day while hiking or hunting. I know because I have done it and half day is my limit. Great for Fall and Spring working outside near my truck like chainsaw and jumping in and out of the truck.

if HPG stuff does not work for you, maybe over the shoulder will. In colder weather when I hunt I carry a Hawkes Pack from SKDTAC. I can also wear a day pack with it and this is for Grouse hunting so I can also shoot with it on. Easy to draw my handgun from. I also use this bag year round as part of my truck gear. So while it is a bit large for a true hiking application, you can make over the shoulder work in a lot of ways.

Top Bottom