• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I'm new to the AR Platform and clearly I understand that a 40 Round mag holds 30 more than a 10 Round Mag, but can you walk me through some other differences and what your preference is and why?

I currently have:

2 30 Round PMAG Gen2 with Dust Covers
    1 10 Round PMAG Gen3

Clearly, I need more - thinking of adding:

1 10 Round PMAG Gen3
    1 40 Round PMAG Gen3
    2 30 Round PMAG Window Gen3
    3 30 Round PMAG No Window Gen3

My thought is the 10 Round is better for prone shooting.

The window mags will be best for my SHTF Rounds

The windowless mags will be range mags

The 40 Round mag for maybe SHTF before the Window Mags are used?

Are there other things to consider?

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have lots of pmags, and many of them are still the Gen 1's that their reputation was built on. All magpul ar-15 pmags are good, some just work better at different things than others. Personally, I like 20rd mags because when I'm at a bench or prone in the field the mag doesn't get in the way. I also like the 30rd mags for running the kinds of drills where the 30rd mag makes sense. In my opinion the 40rd pmags are too long to be comfortable when prone and won't fit most mag carriers or pouches. If you're just using the mags in a backyard type range shooting at pumpkins or something similar then none of that is going to matter.

The best thing you have going for you is that right now magpul pmags are at the historically cheapest prices they've ever been or at least within a dollar of them. If I were you I'd buy as many as you could possibly afford and stack them deep. During the last round of panic buying pmags sold for as much as $150 per mag on auction sights and people still couldn't get enough of them.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I'm only 26 but in the 8 years of owning ARs, I've never wished I had a mag smaller than the 30rd size. If you do want something smaller than a 30, get a 20rd pmag and it'll be about level with your grip.

I don't specifically look for windowed or windowless, just grabbed whatever was on sale. I try to keep 10 loaded mags per rifle so I waited for a decent sale. I think I found a 10 pack of 30rd gen 2 windowless pmags for around $80 shipped last black friday.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Outside of stupid laws the only consideration for mag size, is the mag hitting something your shooting off of, weight, and the size of any pouches for your mags.

There really IS however no reason for the 10s outside stupid laws, BURN THEM.

The 20s are plenty short enough for bench and prone shooting. A single 40 might make a good "contact" mag (first mag in the gun). The 40s are too long for most pouches.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    There really IS however no reason for the 10s outside stupid laws, BURN THEM.

I beg to differ. My brother once argued with me that there is no reason ever to have more than 10 rounds. So I went and bought a 10 round pmag just for him on the occasion that he comes to the range with me and we are doing mag dumps. He can go 10 rounds at a time and reload each time. :)

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I beg to differ. My brother once argued with me that there is no reason ever to have more than 10 rounds. So I went and bought a 10 round pmag just for him on the occasion that he comes to the range with me and we are doing mag dumps. He can go 10 rounds at a time and reload each time. :)

LMAO, that's awesome. I've got a democrat(communist) cousin from Chicago and I may have to copy your idea.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If the S really does HTF, do you honestly think you are going to be looking at the window of your magazine?

No. I can tell you from my experience training and doing drills that I don't think I've ever glanced at the window of a mag during the drill only a time or two. I will also say though that once the drill is done, and we're refitting for the next round that's when it's nice to be able to glance at a magazine and get an idea on what's left in it. Even then.... I think I'm like most people and can get a pretty good idea of what's left in a mag by picking it up and feeling the weight and taking a glance down the mag from the top. Having said all of that and seeing it from both sides, my go to SHTF mags have the windows. I got them for about a dollar more per mag and couldn't come up with any good reason on why not to have them. If that horrible day ever comes, I'll take any advantage I can get regardless of how small it is.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I currently have 20 Mags per AR platform. They are a mix of PMAGS and aluminum OK mags. I go by the rule of a minimum 5 mags per pistol and 10 mags per rifle. Gen2 30 Round PMAGs are reliable and plentiful right now. The prices are not going to get any lower in the foreseeable future. Like others have said, buy them cheap and stack them deep. Same with ammo. Then get some training.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Guess I'll be the oddball and say I like the 10 rd mags. I use them a lot off the bench and hunting. When I'm testing ammo I never load more than 5 rounds anyway and I have had a 20 interfere with my rest. Also when hunting its one less protrusion to hang up on brush and get in the way when trying to get a bead on a coyote. They also fit perfectly in my jacket pocket with the flap fastened, one in the right pocket and a spare in the left.
    That said, when I'm out plinking or whatever then give me a 20 or a 30, and all my stash mags are 30s, not sure how many if any are windowed.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I think all I have is 30. Mostly windowless PMAGS, but a few USGI mags.

ETA: One 40 round PMAG just because.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have 2 20rd mags that are coupled that i use when i want/need an ar in the car just to keep things compact. Other than that i try to keep 7 30 round mags per gun.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've always like the idea of having some kind of minimum number of mags per gun regardless of rifle or pistol. I always figured back in the day I was issued 7 30rd mags, but I was surrounded by soldiers. I figure 10 loaded mags per rifle should be plenty, and another 10 as backup for losses/dropped mags. For pistol, the most I ever carry is one in the guns and two in a belted mag pouch so 3 total. I try to keep 6 mags total per pistol, 3 loaded for use and 3 for backup replacements same idea as the rifle mags.

After the last two magazine panic buying rounds we've seen I've picked up enough mags that I need a spreadsheet to keep track of the inventory. I would recommend everyone else does the same.

Top Bottom