Cz 452 - need a scope (any opinions are welcome)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeffro3611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Lewisport
    Hey everyone I am getting a 452 american 22lr from Whitakers next week. I can't decide on which scope to get for it. The nikon prostaff rimfire and nikon EFR 3-9 x 40 are the two I'm looking at. So nothing over $200ish. I'm gonna be using it for mainly squirrel hunting but also just to plink with.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I got the EFR for my 452... Are you left-handed, did you find "new old stock", or did you find a used one? I love mine, BTW. I'm a lefty and bought it about three months ago (special ordered from the Outdoorsman in Greenwood, which seems to have good CZ connections). I currently have a 527 American in left-hand on order there, as well (basically similar in .223).

Jeffro3611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Lewisport
    Whitaker guns in owensboro ky just got a shipment of brand new 452 right handed ones in. I called down there and put one on layaway that day, they are hard to come by and I have been looking for a decent priced one for a while now. They only got a few in so I got lucky enough to snatch one up. I like the standard reticle with the EFR over the BDC reticle. I wonder if one of the nikon scopes with a silver finish would look good on the 452?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Being a fan of the Vortex optics service & support, I might suggest the 2-8x or 3-12x DBHP models if you are open to the simple v-plex reticle (the 2-8x goes as low as $190 while the 3-12x is $220 on Amazon, sold by Camera Land.)

Having owned the Nikon EFR, I find I trust the turrets on the DBHP more & I prefer the side-focus over the adjustable objective.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Being a fan of the Vortex optics service & support, I might suggest the 2-8x or 3-12x DBHP models if you are open to the simple v-plex reticle (the 2-8x goes as low as $190 while the 3-12x is $220 on Amazon, sold by Camera Land.)

Having owned the Nikon EFR, I find I trust the turrets on the DBHP more & I prefer the side-focus over the adjustable objective.

The turrets on my EFR have proven to track well between 25 and 100 yards (about 16 clicks total range, or 7.5").

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Hey neighbor from south of the river! Welcome!
    I'd also recommend a Vortex Diamondback. I've got a Diamnondback HP 3-12x44 that I took off my truck/coyote rifle and put on a 22 for squirrels this year. It replaces a Nikon Prostaff that took a dump after being dropped. I prefer the Vortex Vplex reticle over the Nikon reticle, much better in less than optimal lighting. Rather than deal with Nikon CS I'm getting ready to order another Vortex as permanent replacement. Leaning towards the DB 2-7x35 Rimfire for the 22 because of the smaller size and also a few less $$. Easy to find them for $179.
    I also had a 17HMR that had a Leupold VXI 3-9x40 on it, and the Diamondback HP is a heckuva a lot better scope than it. I'd rate the DB HP series as being close to Leupold VXIII series, and they're a dang sight less money. If I hadn't sold that rifle, the Leupold was going to get replaced with, yep, a Vortex.
    Mentioned above Nikon CS. They aren't wanting to do anything since the scope is about 5 years old and I can't prove I'm the original owner. Heard more than one horror story about folks getting the run-around by them. I've never, never, heard a bad thing about Vortex CS. Even saw on one forum where a guy was getting ready to go on a hunt out west and his Vortex scope was giving him problems. The president (IIRC) of Vortex told him to send him his address and he'd overnight him a new scope. Guy got his scope and made his trip with it! That right there tells me a lot about the company and that they stand behind their products.

Also another scope I've heard a lot of good things about is Hawke. Was in a shop near Hawesville recently and looked at a Hawke Vantage rimfire with illuminated reticle and I was impressed. If that one had a simple plex type rather than a BDC, I might have gone for it. Glass was really good for the price but the combination of BDC and illumination made the reticle very "busy".

Last edited:

Jeffro3611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Lewisport
    Thanks guys I will open up my decisions to some vortex, and a few other companies. I just had heard that nikon makes great stuff so I was leaning towards them but now I see there alot of other options lol

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Give A and A OPTICS a call and he will discuss your budget, your wants, and your needs, and set you up with the best possible product that fits your bill. He is a sponsor on here as well.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Here's a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 for under $200 brand new from a well respected online retailer. I'm sure A&A Optics will maybe price match?????

Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42mm Riflescope FREE S&H DBK-10015, DBK-10017. Vortex Rifle Scopes.
    Use coupon code 10LABRD for 10% off. Free shipping, and you're under $200. It'll probably expire soon, though.

That'll be the bees knees on that rifle. This is one HELL of a scope for the $. Much better than that Nikon you listed. The glass and coating is better, zoom range is wider, guts are all metal, it'll track much better and has a larger adjustment range, and has Side Focus (since you're using this on a Rimfire, it's really nice to be able to adjust parallax for the shorter distances you'll likely shoot). Plus, you can't beat Vortex's customer service, they are the best (along with Leupold and Weaver in my experience).

I have the Diamondback HP 2-8 on my squirrel rifle (I prefer 2x on the low end for my squirrel gun). Best scope I could find for under $200.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Here's a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 for under $200 brand new from a well respected online retailer. I'm sure A&A Optics will maybe price match?????

Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42mm Riflescope FREE S&H DBK-10015, DBK-10017. Vortex Rifle Scopes.
    Use coupon code 10LABRD for 10% off. Free shipping, and you're under $200. It'll probably expire soon, though.

That'll be the bees knees on that rifle. This is one HELL of a scope for the $. Much better than that Nikon you listed. The glass and coating is better, zoom range is wider, guts are all metal, it'll track much better and has a larger adjustment range, and has Side Focus (since you're using this on a Rimfire, it's really nice to be able to adjust parallax for the shorter distances you'll likely shoot). Plus, you can't beat Vortex's customer service, they are the best (along with Leupold and Weaver in my experience).

I have the Diamondback HP 2-8 on my squirrel rifle (I prefer 2x on the low end for my squirrel gun). Best scope I could find for under $200.

I cant price match that, it was discontinued years ago, OP is just late on dumping old inventory. I dont know when I sold out (no more to be made), but it was awhile ago.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I cant price match that, it was discontinued years ago, OP is just late on dumping old inventory. I dont know when I sold out (no more to be made), but it was awhile ago.

I thought the DBHPs were introduced in 2014? These are definitely old-stock units, but I'm not certain I can point to anything that I would consider a "better" value for $200. As mentioned, the Nikon EFR scope is nice but I don't know that it does anything that the DBHP doesn't and I prefer the CS w/ Vortex (if I need it.)

If the OP gets one of these DBHPs, be ready to call Vortex for new scope cap (or just get flip caps, if you prefer) as every DBHP I have received arrived without the plastic inserts. CS has always shipped out a new cover and never given me an issue, though.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I thought the DBHPs were introduced in 2014? These are definitely old-stock units, but I'm not certain I can point to anything that I would consider a "better" value for $200. As mentioned, the Nikon EFR scope is nice but I don't know that it does anything that the DBHP doesn't and I prefer the CS w/ Vortex (if I need it.)

If the OP gets one of these DBHPs, be ready to call Vortex for new scope cap (or just get flip caps, if you prefer) as every DBHP I have received arrived without the plastic inserts. CS has always shipped out a new cover and never given me an issue, though.

I think it was released in Jan of 2013, and the plex was discontinued in June or July of 2013. It might be released Jan 2014, discontinued July of 14, sometimes these things run together.

If you can deal with a plex reticle its a great buy, I personally would not own a plex reticle scope as they cut your options in half before you even start. A man can not have to many ways of doing the same job type thinking.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The V-Plex reticle still shows up on Vortex's site. Wonder why it's discontinued. I like the V-plex reticle more than a BDC reticle. But I'd prefer a mil-dot or EBR type reticle.

Is all they have on the DBHP a BDC reticle now? I'm really not a fan of bullet drop compensating reticles. I'd rather they put the hash marks every 5moa (for moa turret scopes) or something with a standard graduation instead of drop hashes at 3 moa, 13.5 moa, and 30 moa like the Vortex BDC does.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The V-Plex reticle still shows up on Vortex's site. Wonder why it's discontinued. I like the V-plex reticle more than a BDC reticle. But I'd prefer a mil-dot or EBR type reticle.

Is all they have on the DBHP a BDC reticle now? I'm really not a fan of bullet drop compensating reticles. I'd rather they put the hash marks every 5moa (for moa turret scopes) or something with a standard graduation instead of drop hashes at 3 moa, 13.5 moa, and 30 moa like the Vortex BDC does.

They discontinued all plex reticles except the V-brite. They were discontinued because no one buys them. In scopes that had plex option's I literally sold roughly 175-200 bdc to 1 plex. The only plex reticle's I have left are the 6-24 Crossfire2. I accidentally ordered 10 when they came out, and lowered the price by roughly 40% below the BDC. I still have a few after about a year at 40% off.

Everyone would rather have MOA/MIL reticle's than BDC, but fact of the matter is, measuring reticles are more expensive to produce (IE makes the scope more expensive to buy). The has subtention's at odd numbers to match "standard" bullet drop's. They are not designed to actually measure anything, they are made to say "100yd zero, 200 1st dot, 200 2nddot, 400 3rd dot, etc".

All discontinued products stay on the site for about 3 years.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Just a note: these are just my thoughts. I get that a lot of people like the BDC reticles, and that's cool too. Different strokes for different folks.

I get what BDC reticles are for. And they are alright for getting you close. But I don't like them because they're not going to line up exactly for the load and barrel length I'm using (I'm anal and have issues...). For hunting, yeah, they're close enough.

For me, I prefer to stick with Kentucky windage and / or dialing in with the turrets with a V-plex rather than using a BDC reticle. For hunting, I can pretty well hold over based on the body of the animal since you know about how big a deer (or whatever you're hunting) is. Gets me just as close as a BDC. On the range, or slower hunting when it's viable, I'll just dial in with the turrets.

Too bad they got rid of the V-Plex. Looks like I'll have to scoop up a couple more since the price is so cheap. If you like the V-plex reticles, seems like you really can't beat the prices on Vortex scopes right now.

The has subtention's at odd numbers to match "standard" bullet drop's. They are not designed to actually measure anything, they are made to say "100yd zero, 200 1st dot, 200 2nddot, 400 3rd dot, etc".

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Take a look at the Mueller APV 4.5-14x40. It is a plex reticle but I think it's worth consideration. $135 at SWFA. I have one a CZ 452 "trainer" in .17 HMR. Makes for an interesting "chin weld" but that's related to the stock, not the scope. I like the scope a lot.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just a note: these are just my thoughts. I get that a lot of people like the BDC reticles, and that's cool too. Different strokes for different folks.

I get what BDC reticles are for. And they are alright for getting you close. But I don't like them because they're not going to line up exactly for the load and barrel length I'm using (I'm anal and have issues...). For hunting, yeah, they're close enough.

For me, I prefer to stick with Kentucky windage and / or dialing in with the turrets with a V-plex rather than using a BDC reticle. For hunting, I can pretty well hold over based on the body of the animal since you know about how big a deer (or whatever you're hunting) is. Gets me just as close as a BDC. On the range, or slower hunting when it's viable, I'll just dial in with the turrets.

Too bad they got rid of the V-Plex. Looks like I'll have to scoop up a couple more since the price is so cheap. If you like the V-plex reticles, seems like you really can't beat the prices on Vortex scopes right now.

99% of the time a BDC reticle wont be perfect. When I use a BDC reticle I put a range card on my stock, and it rarely had round numbers on it. It would look like

100=zerp
    1st dot=220
    2nd dot 310
    3rd dot 390

etc,etc.

If Im shooting 325 I would know to aim a touch high with the 2nd dot. It basically gives you known points of referance to make your kentucky windage more accurate.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    99% of the time a BDC reticle wont be perfect. When I use a BDC reticle I put a range card on my stock, and it rarely had round numbers on it. It would look like

100=zerp
    1st dot=220
    2nd dot 310
    3rd dot 390

etc,etc.

If Im shooting 325 I would know to aim a touch high with the 2nd dot. It basically gives you known points of referance to make your kentucky windage more accurate.

This is exactly what I'm learning playing with Strelok Pro set up for my Tavor with a JM-1 reticle (Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24)... The cartridge database shows the better part of ~100yds difference at the bottom (600yd) marker, this for common cartridges available locally. Of course, I haven't verified anything yet (awaiting a mount), but not a huge issue for putting lead into meat, but you better know your entire weapons system if you want good results.

Top Bottom