• ...and so much more!
  • derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Just came across this while reading a review for another training product. Wondering if any INGO'ers have used this or might have some thoughts. Seems like a good dry fire tool and/or diagnostic aid at the range.

[video=youtube;we8o1WPx_c0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we8o1WPx_c0[/video]

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    For me, I have NO rails on any of my guns, and for $150.00 I want to watch someone else use this,

and CONVINCE me, that it improved their shooting .....

MantisX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2016
    Oswego
    Austin from Mantis here. We're in a Western suburb of Chicago, so if any of you are in the area, we'd be happy to demo it for you. Or answer any questions you have here as well.

Cheers!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Interesting concept. Assuming this would work w/tablets too, like the Apple iPad, right?
    Are the rechargeable batteries user replaceable?

MantisX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2016
    Oswego
    Interesting concept. Assuming this would work w/tablets too, like the Apple iPad, right?
    Are the rechargeable batteries user replaceable?

Correct - works with anything with iOS or Android, including tablets, iPods, smartphones, etc.

The rechargeable battery is not user replaceable (it's soldered on). It lasts about 9 hours of continuous use.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ran into the MantisX [1] again online today and had totally forgotten about this thread.

Has anyone had any more experience with this in the last couple of years? I'm still intrigued.

[1] - https://mantisx.com/

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have one. The only complaint I have is that when live firing my shots can be in the 10 ring, but the Mantis can think they were way off. This may not be an issue with all targets.

I enjoy it more with dry firing. It’s not perfect but it does provide feedback which at least let’s me know what’s going on. Helping to not fall back into a bad grip or bad placement of my finger on the trigger.

MrWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have one. The only complaint I have is that when live firing my shots can be in the 10 ring, but the Mantis can think they were way off. This may not be an issue with all targets.

I enjoy it more with dry firing. It’s not perfect but it does provide feedback which at least let’s me know what’s going on. Helping to not fall back into a bad grip or bad placement of my finger on the trigger.

I know nothing about the product, except what is posted here and the brief description on the website, but this seems like a calibration/hardware issue. I’m assuming that the app grades you based on how much movement there was in the barrel (rail) during the trigger pull. If the trigger pull info isn’t reliable, or if you have a pull differently than what the software is expecting, scores would vary wildly. Any clue how it tracks trigger information? It looks like the product is just an accelerometer, battery, and Bluetooth module mounted to a rail. Does it just guess based on the metrics that it is already tracking?

Definitely an interesting product though!

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My best guess is that the target style that the Mantis is programmed for is a tighter 10 ring than the targets at the range. I keep trying to find a good way to explain it, but I think I should just get pictures of the target and screenshots of the app to show. Might be easier.

There was a point when doing the research before buying that I had an idea how it all worked, since then I’ve forgotten it. :D

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    It's just detecting movement and when the trigger breaks. The "score" is just a rating of your trigger press (i.e., how much it moved). Just got mine today so I'm curious how well it does for rapid fire where you're moving pretty quickly even with a good press.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Just got one of these but have only used it for dry-fire at this point. It seems to work perfectly for dry fire and there are multiple methods of viewing the data it collects (lots of info on that at their website). For me, having immediate and detailed feedback during dry-fire has pushed me to actually practice more. Dry-fire without some kind of feedback seemed kinda pointless (balancing an empty case on the front sight works but is a real PITA to reset for each trigger pull of a non-DA handgun). So far I'm pretty impressed but will wait to do some live-fire before giving it a final thumbs up.

Top Bottom