• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've currently got a 2-point sling on my AR, but part of me wants to switch to a 1-point... it looks like it'd be more comfortable to wear.

Do both sling-types have a specific purpose? Is there a big advantage to one over the other? I've got an M-LOK attach-point near the front of my AR, but nothing on the rear except a loop through the stock. If I got a 1-point, would I have to get a sling mount for the rear?

Or is 2-point the superior style... and I should just learn how to effectively utilize it?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you were going to go hump a ruck with that rifle you'd appreciate a two point more for the comfort of carry.

If you were going to be moving, shooting, getting up, getting down, shooting around cover etc, you'd like a single point sling more.

There's very good reasons why both single point and two point slings have such loyal followings. Here's the good new, this is a case where you can have your cake and eat it too. There are slings that'll allow you to do both. Personally, I have magpul MS3 slings and I have them because they're very simple and easy to switch from two point to single point positions. In this day and age, it's hard to find a reason why you wouldn't get a sling that can do both. Just my two cents.

https://agsarmament.com/magpul-ms3-multi-mssion-sling-g2-coyote

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've never understood the purpose of 1-point slings unless you are doing something that makes quickly transitioning to a pistol easier. A 2-point allows for better accuracy and makes it easier to carry the rifle for long distances.

Amazon.com : Tech Sight's M1/M14 cotton loop sling (1 1/4"W), great for use on a Ruger 10/22 as a Libery training rifle. : Gun Slings : Sports & Outdoors

I can understand the long-distance thing... but how does it help with accuracy? Do you utilize the sling in some way to stabilize the gun?

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I can understand the long-distance thing... but how does it help with accuracy? Do you utilize the sling in some way to stabilize the gun?

You sir, need an Appleseed or Revere's Riders event in your life. Yes, you can use the sling to stabilize your gun and greatly improve your accuracy.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Yes, the 2 point will allow you to "cinch" your rifle and create a stable platform. Think about how stable you could be being able to pull on the strap closest to the barrel, pulling it into your shoulder, while your elbow cinches close to you body writhe the strap underneath.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

You sir, need an Appleseed or Revere's Riders event in your life. Yes, you can use the sling to stabilize your gun and greatly improve your accuracy.

Yes, the 2 point will allow you to "cinch" your rifle and create a stable platform. Think about how stable you could be being able to pull on the strap closest to the barrel, pulling it into your shoulder, while your elbow cinches close to you body writhe the strap underneath.

What they said. I know the "other guys" are not popular on INGO anymore, so I found a non-affiliated video that looks pretty good.

[video=youtube;fL4hncfEdOk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL4hncfEdOk[/video]

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Urban ERT convertible. 2pt to 1 pt.

Indy-area company. Top notch product.

They have both bungee and non-bungee models.

I got mine at USDS a few years ago. I think that Elmore's also stocks them. Can't remember if I saw one at The Outdoorsman the other day or not. I would hope that BGF would have them in stock as well.

Urban ERT Slings Single point and Two point slings for FNH PS90, Tavor, AR15 style rifles, shotguns, and any other weapon available.

Yep.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've never understood the purpose of 1-point slings unless you are doing something that makes quickly transitioning to a pistol easier. A 2-point allows for better accuracy and makes it easier to carry the rifle for long distances.

http://www.amazon.com/Tech-Sights-cotton-Libery-training/dp/B0045V9GVO

And a 2-point won't bounce off of your knees when you run. I like the Magpul MS1 w/ MS4 ends to be able to switch between the two. Blue Force Gear also makes an awesome 2-point. If you plan to use it with any kind of duration, like a carbine class, I'd recommend getting a padded version.

I also dito the comment about doing an Appleseed. They'll teach you to properly use a sling.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you were going to go hump a ruck with that rifle you'd appreciate a two point more for the comfort of carry.

If you were going to be moving, shooting, getting up, getting down, shooting around cover etc, you'd like a single point sling more.

There's very good reasons why both single point and two point slings have such loyal followings. Here's the good new, this is a case where you can have your cake and eat it too. There are slings that'll allow you to do both. Personally, I have magpul MS3 slings and I have them because they're very simple and easy to switch from two point to single point positions. In this day and age, it's hard to find a reason why you wouldn't get a sling that can do both. Just my two cents.

https://agsarmament.com/magpul-ms3-multi-mssion-sling-g2-coyote

If you aren't using a sling as a shooting aid as seen in the video Que posted then Teddy nailed it. I ran a single point sling for several years and they are great ehn you are shooting, moving or anytime you have both hands on the rifle. They start to suck pretty quickly if you need to transition to your handgun or do just about anything with your hands. I switched to a quick adjust two point sling and they're great when you don't have both hands on the rifle but they don't allow the freedom of a single point sling when you're shooting, especially if you want to shoot from the support side shoulder.

The convertible slings are an excellent option in my opinion and I've have great experiences with the Magpul options.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Why does this post sound homoerotic?

:thatshot:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I am a big fan of BFG vickers sling.

I do not enjoy single point slings for the reason that as soon as you transition to pistol, you have a chunk of metal bouncing around between your legs and bumping into things as you move.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I am a big fan of BFG vickers sling.

I do not enjoy single point slings for the reason that as soon as you transition to pistol, you have a chunk of metal bouncing around between your legs and bumping into things as you move.

Swing it around back!

But---yes. It's not secure.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Swing it around back!

But---yes. It's not secure.

Exactly! I get the arguments against a single point sling because it will knock into your knees and be clumsy not being secured. When I go from single point rifle to pistol, I darn near throw that damn thing to my left side and then it ends up completely out of the way and bouncing around 8 to 7 o'clock on my body until I've got the time to do something better with it.

As far as a good two point sling goes, back in my uncle sam days I hate to think what I'd have paid for a one of these VTAC padded two points: VTAC Padded 2 Point Sling This is a great two point sling. I own two now that are highly cherished because they just work so well and are so comfortable. Padded slings are a big deal when you use or have your weapon on you for more than a few hours.

Here's the appleseed sling people are talking about: Sights & Slings I've got one of these too, and my only grip is that the little metal clippy thing is loose and rattles around quite a bit. Maybe I just need to get some pliers and clamp it down, but otherwise I really like it. There's something to be said for a simple bomb proof adjustable sling.

Still, as much as I love the padded Vtac, and I'd have paid hundreds for one of those back in '03, my go to sling is still the Magpul MS3. The only thing it doesn't have is a nice padded section like the vtac, but nothing can ever be perfect.

For those still on the two point sling wagon, I'm not knocking your decision, but how often do you all shoot from behind cover from your weak side? I'm not knocking any decisions here, I'm just saying that if it's your "go-to" or "SHTF" or "home defense" or whatever gun, you may want to try that out with your two point sling.

Top Bottom