• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    It's Hydrogen with an extra "H" as most hydrogen floats around as H2, this one is H3 and is radioactive and it's import is controlled. I think it has two neutrons that H or H2 does not and that's what makes it unstable and decay...

Right now, I believe Kimber and/or Trijicon are the only importers.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    It's Hydrogen with an extra "H" as most hydrogen floats around as H2, this one is H3 and is radioactive and it's import is controlled. I think it has two neutrons that H or H2 does not and that's what makes it unstable and decay...
    Proper notations are difficult with plain text. If you mean H(subscript)2 it reads like "two hydrogen atoms", which is hydrogen in its normal gas state. Tritium is H(superscript)3, meaning "one hydrogen atom with two neutrons, giving it an atomic weight of 3", and is radioactive. As the tritium decays, the radiation hits a fluorescent coating on the vial, illuminating it in a way similar to the operation of a conventional TV screen.

Self-luminescent paints are for the most part not a good idea. Cesium paints for watch dials are what gave a bunch of women cancer in the early 20th century. Glow-in-the-dark paints are available, but unless you are OCing in a yaqui or race holster they probably won't get enough light to "charge up" to a point where they are useful.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    OK You just got thread jacked!:hijack: I got a Question~ is there any thing close to a tritium paint? A way to fake it? Any glow n the dark paint that can do the job out there? Or are the "night-sighters" the closest thing?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    OK You just got thread jacked!:hijack: I got a Question~ is there any thing close to a tritium paint? A way to fake it? Any glow n the dark paint that can do the job out there? Or are the "night-sighters" the closest thing?

There was a post / report a few weeks ago that said the night siters pretty much sucked .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been using Duracoat luminescent sight paint. When charged, it looks very much like tritium, but it's no replacement. The charge only lasts 15 minutes or so. To give it credit, it only takes two seconds with a 240 lumen light to charge.

In the daytime, the yellow dot is much easier for me to pick up than a black front sight.

The paint is expensive. When you add the shipping ($12 mandatory,) it ran nearly $30 for a pretty small bottle.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    Proper notations are difficult with plain text. If you mean H(subscript)2 it reads like "two hydrogen atoms", which is hydrogen in its normal gas state. Tritium is H(superscript)3, meaning "one hydrogen atom with two neutrons, giving it an atomic weight of 3", and is radioactive. As the tritium decays, the radiation hits a fluorescent coating on the vial, illuminating it in a way similar to the operation of a conventional TV screen.

Self-luminescent paints are for the most part not a good idea. Cesium paints for watch dials are what gave a bunch of women cancer in the early 20th century. Glow-in-the-dark paints are available, but unless you are OCing in a yaqui or race holster they probably won't get enough light to "charge up" to a point where they are useful.

Good details. I like when someone explains it correctly.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    A tad off topic, but which night sights are better. The glock brand or the trijicon? With a $20 difference im leaning to the glocks

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom