• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I am checking into plate carriers. I am looking at getting one with a cummerbund, so you can attach more crap to it.

Yes, I know you get what you pay for. I also know that you do not have to spend top dollar to get decent gear. I am not some sort of operator for a living, but I want to have the gear. I am finding there are some modular (plate carriers compatible with cummerbunds starting around $60 and going up to $300. I am wanting to stay closer to the low 100s if possible and definitely do not want to go above $200. There are not a ton of carriers between $100 and $200 that I have seen. What do you suggest?

I have looked at the following:
    Condor MOPC
    Viper MOPC
    And the AR500 line of plate carriers

Is there another that I should look at?

I have some Condor gear and it is decent. I know it is not as good as London Bridge or SOE. I also know a mag pouch does not need to hold 18 pounds of weight, but a plate carrier will need to hold that plus any add on gear.

Thanks!

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I would look at the PIG plate carrier. I've used it for two trips and the only thing it needs is maybe a new cummerbund? It's honestly been through a bit but it works well and feels secure. And if your look to put soft armor in you won't even know it's there.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What kind of plates are you using? What size?

Between $100 and $200, you can get a nice piece of kit.

Here is a link to a really well done post about why price and stitching matters, especially on a plate carrier (or a pack, or anything that holds weight).

Link: What is Quality? (picture heavy) | Lightfighter Tactical Forum

Hope that helps.
    I hate it when you have a reply, with proof, that the budget stuff, isn't! Dorky_D, save the money, buy quality! Nuff said!

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    10x12 steel plates (I do not have them yet)

My favorite 'budget' plate carrier with a cummerbund - the one I consider the best compromise between price and quality - is the Armor Express Responder Plate Carrier.

Its not terribly expensive, only $155.60; but is made for real use. It is not a Gucci kit brand, instead, they are a body armor company that makes gear used everyday. Not bad. Not the best. But will work well for you for a long, long time. It is not an imported imposter designed only to look like a plate carrier - this is real gear but not super expensive.

Responder-Core-Image.jpg

Here you can see it with some of the MOLLE pouches attached to. Very versatile.

Link: https://nelsonuniform.com/products/responder-tactical-plate-carrier

I hope this is helpful!

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I have an issue KDH. It's meh. It's not outstanding, but it's not crap either. From what I've seen im
    debating getting a PIG but they are expensive. For your budget: Paraclete SOHPC - SKD Spec looks like your best bet. Just always remember, if it's not comfortable it's tactical, if it's comfortable it's not tactical. I hate wearing all the gear. But it's wayy better than an IOTV and for sure an OTV. Keep in mind not many plates are stand alone certified. ESAPI-Rev E are the only .gov ones that are. And there are some other ceramic ones out there that are rated. But they are expensive. Make sure to get soft armor behind your plates... If using steel plates.. They make good training aids.. Go buy ceramic.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Nice post above - Cop Car knows what he is saying. :)

...Keep in mind not many plates are stand alone certified. ESAPI-Rev E are the only .gov ones that are. And there are some other ceramic ones out there that are rated. But they are expensive. Make sure to get soft armor behind your plates... If using steel plates.. They make good training aids.. Go buy ceramic.

And he makes a great point about plates. So may we talk about plates to go in your new carrier?

First: A plate is a plate is a plate. Level III is level III. Level IV is Level IV. If one plate has the same rating as another, then they will all stop the same threats. But the prices are always WWAAAAYYYYYYY different. What you are paying for is weight and thinness. And you are paying for a plate that can work by itself or a plate that must be used in-conjunction-with level IIIa soft armor to meet its rated threats.

With this in mind, most choices for plates are:
    1. AR 500 Steel Plates - Thin, cheap, but heavy. Can be dangerous because of spalling.
    2. Level III In-conjunction ICW Plates - you can buy thick and light, or thin and expensive. Paying between $300-$400 or $500-$600 or more
    3. Level III Stand Alone Plates - these do not need any level IIIa soft armor used with them. Great if you expect to need hard armor and aren't already wearing soft armor, or if you do not want to have the expense of plate backers. But they can get to be more expensive - up to $900-$1000 per plate for some of the III+ special threat plates.
    4. SAPI and eSAPI plates. If you know where to look, you can find Military plates for fractions of these prices. I'm not telling you that no one here has these plates, because they are great plates and people do have them. But I am telling you that there is a reason they are inexpensive. They ALL came from the government and the government didn't sell them. Buyer beware.
    5. Level IV Stand Alone and ICW Plates - Level IV stops higher power rifle threats than level III. Sometimes at the expense of Multi-Hit ability. Sometimes they are very reasonably priced. Sometimes they are very expensive.

My recommendation for plates, for anyone buying for the first time, is buy a good mid-grade ICW level III - maybe something like this:

https://nelsonuniform.com/collectio...n-conjunction-rifle-plate?variant=13587540231

You will usually have some thickness, and you won't have special threat features (like stopping green tip), but they are lighter and cheaper. If you are on duty, wear them over your concealable body armor vest (wear a IIIa vest...) - if you are just trying to be prepared, add some kevlar plate backers to your plate carrier so you don't have to worry about soft armor underneath. Like these:

https://nelsonuniform.com/products/level-iiia-soft-armor-plate-backer

A set-up like this, with ICW plates with plate backers is still generally lighter and costs less money than good stand alone plates.

Now, mind you, this is not the only way to get into good armor, but it is a great place to start and something to consider. I hope this is helpful advice. Thanks!

Last edited:

Toole

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Noblesville
    Budget and life saving gear don't really go together IMO. I have an SKD Tactical Weesatch, they no longer make the Weesatch and Woosatch plate carriers though. Mine has been through deployments and still holding strong, it was in the $300 range w/o plates, but is very comfortable, very adjustable, and durable. I am a fan of the SKD Tac products for what that's worth.

Top Bottom