• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Link: https://sspeyewear.com/collections/...rted-interchangeable-kits?variant=28480526915
    $39.99 from SSP Eye wear. Include 3 sets of lenses in the same magnification. 1 set clear, 1 set yellow, 1 set smoked (all are very easy to change out). Also include neoprene carrying case.
    Available in multiple magnifications, they recommend choosing 1 power lower than your normal reading glasses. I wear 2x reading glasses, but they were out of stock on 1x so I chose 1.25x.

TF_AST_Kit_98dacc59-4ed4-40a5-9d39-c54df3684eca.png

Overall Impressions:
    If you have aging eyes like my own, they are worth the purchase. While improving my recreational & competition shooting (both rifle & handgun), they take some getting used to, and blur the target more so than usual.
    My Score: 7 out of 10.
    I'm not sure I would recommend them for everyday use, which still leaves me with failing eyesight in any defensive shooting.

Details below. PLEASE NOTE: It wasn't until this review that I realized just how difficult it can be to photograph these viewpoints. Couple that with my aging eyesight, and you'll discover the sighst are not always aligned precisely on target. The focus in this review is the clarity in vision, and not so much getting the sights aligned properly for a better review. It would have taken me several hundred photos to do so.

When I first began shooting handgun over 10 years ago now, I recall a nice crisp sight picture, with the target slightly fuzzy much like this (see caveat above re: sight alignment photography) :

Normal Sight Picture:
    Old%20Sight_zpslb6pgdhk.jpg

About 3-4 years ago, I noticed my eyesight starting to fail as I aged. Specifically in seeing/reading things up close. At first I needed more light to read a pill bottle, then I needed reading glasses to read such a bottle. A year ago I began wearing my readers to view my computer monitor... It's important to note that last year, my vision was still 20/20 at distance. It's merely close up things I have difficulty viewing. Today, this is the approximate sight picture I see when shooting handgun. It's probably a hair fuzzier than this, since I have trouble seeing any dots on the sights:

My Current Sight Picture without Glasses:
    no%20glasses_zps9rev22k4.jpg

After picking up a pair of SSP's Top BiFocals, I was thrilled to be able to see the front sight again... However, the trade off is that the target is noticeably more blurry. An approximation of what I see while shooting handgun wearing these glasses:

Sight Picture with Top BiFocals:
    with%20glasses_zpsgc6ipboq.jpg

Dimensions: Bifocal viewing area (lens) is about 1.2" x .5"
    Although the bifocal lens is taller, the frame limits the viewing height to around .5". The center line of focus is in fact 1/2 way through this viewing area (and not near the frame, as one might suspect).
    dimensions_zpsen7ppsbh.jpg

After some minor plinking, I recently got to fully test these at a Friday Night Steel match. I struggled with a few stages involving small targets at distance but shot really well on closer targets, or more vertical targets (such as the tall but thin poppers). The misses seemed out of the ordinary for my normal performance.
    I usually average 8-12 seconds on the plate rack. Two rounds I shot with the glasses and timed 20 seconds on one, and 28 on another. Frustrated, I shot the third round without sighting using the bifocals, and scored 12 seconds. This told me something was off.
    Additionally, I was told I was shooting low and hitting the frame on the plate rack. Typically, my EDC M&P9c tends to shoot a bit high, so I aim at the bottom of the plates. In this instance, I was aiming above center to score hits. Afterwards, I began playing with the glasses and noticed this shift thanks to the horizontal framework on the plate rack, and decided to test it further today.

First, I confirmed with Don Parks @ MCF&G, that the plate rack is set at 15 yards, with 8" round steel targets. I had some frustration with a couple of stages, and discovered a 'parallax' of sorts while shooting the plate rack (thanks to it's horizontal bar).

To replicate this, I set my sawhorse at 15 yards, and set an 8" round steel plate on it. I then ran a level line, the approximate distance the gun/sights would be from the camera/glasses.

Now, to photograph this, I had to turn the glasses sideways because the earpieces/frame would interfere with the camera. This is important to note, because the shift from one extreme to another, occurs in 1.2" of 'travel'. But in reality, this shift would be equivalent to your left to right shift, whereas your height shift occurs in just 1/2" when wearing the glasses (resulting is a more dramatic difference depending on head tilt).

If one views through the bifocal at one edge, the target shifts high:
    low_zpsiedb9l7n.jpg

And when viewing through the other edge? It shifts low:
    high_zpsbqdh1su8.jpg

Comparing them side by side shows the following, with low at left, and high at right:
    Side%20By%20Side_zpse0b4u9zx.jpg

I didn't get the string precisely centered, however you'll notice in the photo that the string (sights reference) shifts less than the target does. To help show this, I set the string from all three photos at the same level line, so that the difference in the target shifts are shown. I've included some hash marks to show the relation of the target top & bottom as each shifts.
    With targets that are closer, I would suspect that you'd notice less shift. And it seems with targets further away, you might notice more shift.
    After further testing today, and with some additional tips discovered (listed below), I don't think this shift is dramatic enough to cause concern or prevent someone from purchasing just yet. I'll chalk it up to 'just takes some getting used to'.
    However I'll followup at a later date with some 100 yard rifle shooting to see if there is a more dramatic shift at further distances.

Wear & Tear:
    So far they've held up to general abuse.It's been a short time frame that I have used them though.
    Having shot in the rain today, I can say they are about the same as any other safety glasses in the rain. The bifocals don't obscure vision anymore than the regular vision portion when wet.
    It's a bid awkward having the top lenses. Almost reminds me of the movie 'The Jerk' where people sue him for going cross eyed. You tend to want to look at the bifocal, then realize you can't see crap through them.
    They are helpful to read detail/fine print. I managed to read the numbers painted on the bottom of my magazines... it's just awkward tilting your head down (instead of back, like with normal readers)

Suggestions:
    Perhaps it was the low light, or not being quite used to the glasses at FNS, but today I ran 150 rounds with them, testing for accuracy and consistency, I am more optimistic and can offer the following tips:
    1) They'll work better in daylight than low light (No big surprise here as it's easier for our aging eyes to see with more light).
    2) Make sure you put the glasses tight against your face/forehead. Sort of like a cheek weld on a rifle, it insures that the glasses are in the same position every time. This will help to view through the bifocals the same every time.
    3) Head tilt may affect your POA/POI. Try to stand tall and bring the gun to your eyes in the same manner every time (like you should be doing anyways). This can be more difficult when moving and engaging targets in a dynamic situation such as USPSA or IDPA.
    D) The 3 interchangeable lenses are easy to swap out. I noticed less accuracy (rifle shooting) using the smoked lenses vs the yellow high contrast lenses. Your mileage may vary.

Disclaimer:
    The photos shown involved an unloaded firearm, and that setup was used for the photography portion, to avoid damaging equipment in the rain.
    The 150 rounds fired/tested, were out on my range (in the rain), with a proper backstop.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I bought a set but am still on the fence. 1.25x seems too much for my eyes and I haven't been able to get used to them.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I use full lens magnifiers, +.75 or +1.0, with full lens you don't have the issue with the transition lines. $10 on Amazon. Elvex RX Glasses.

After doing some further research, I'm discovering that +.75 or +1 is typically recommended for handgun, and +.5 for rifle. I'm thinking perhaps the 1.25 may be a bit strong.
    I see the elvex as an inexepensive option worth trying, and I'm interested in the full lens magnification. Though I probably won't be able to help keep score worth a crap with them.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Can SSP do lower magnification? Special order maybe? I'd like to try a .75.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    After doing some further research, I'm discovering that +.75 or +1 is typically recommended for handgun, and +.5 for rifle. I'm thinking perhaps the 1.25 may be a bit strong.
    I see the elvex as an inexepensive option worth trying, and I'm interested in the full lens magnification. Though I probably won't be able to help keep score worth a crap with them.
    I have +.5 and +.75 glasses, so next FNS you attend let me know and I'll bring them for you to try.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I won't let myself use the readers I wear for work and reading to shoot with. Figure they would be tough to put on to shoot if I got in a gunfight. :dunno:

I do use these stick on lenses on my motorcycle helmet for [STRIKE]txting[/STRIKE] reading navigation while riding. They might work for some on their shooting eyepro?

https://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick-Bifocals-2-00/dp/B000W7HQCQ?th=1

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have a set of prescription glasses that I did basically the same thing with. The bi-focal part is on top but my regular distance prescriptions are on the bottom and upper corners.
    The only issues are :
    1) The same fuzzy target while the sights are crystal clear
    2) Since I wear them all the time it can cause a certain amount of fatigue especially while driving. This is due to the way you need to hold your head.

I'm going to try to see if they will put just a non bifocal lense on the left side and I'll keep the right as is.
    We'll see what happens.

Bob

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a pair that has snap in lens. They sharpen the front sight, but I have to take them off when not shooting as looking through the readers all the time bugs me and makes my normal 20/20 vision wonky.

Mine are Spitz brand.

I still struggle with the whole concept though. I may have a clear front sight with them on, but the target is fuzzy like you experienced Mac. Not sure how I will ever gain any proficiency with a sight picture like that.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You guys that don't have astigmatism have no idea how bad a red dot can look. Imagine a bunch of grapes as a dot. The prism sight I got from A&A looks fantastic though. Astigmatism is also why I've kept my EOTech. The bright 1 MOAdot doesn't get all clustered.

Back on topic... I ordered a new pair of prescription shootin' glasses. The doc wrote the script for focal distance 18 - 24". If these work I'll be returning or selling the SSP.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have +.5 and +.75 glasses, so next FNS you attend let me know and I'll bring them for you to try.

I now own a pair of .5's, and borrowed a pair of .75's. Wanted to get out today, but had other chores more pressing. Tomorrow I plan to test them out fully... and possibly add another review.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I wear bifocals, and my eyesight is poor enough that I have to have prescription lenses to shoot. I ordered a pair of SSP's with +2 (my bifocal magnification on my prescription), and when I wear them over my everyday progressive bifocals they work pretty well. I can tilt my head forward and look through both lenses at the top and get good focus on the front sight; if I look straight ahead I retain my far focus (I'm nearsighted). Not optimal, but better than having to tilt my head back...

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Well, results are in after about 60 rounds with the Elvex glasses and I am pretty impressed. The magnification pretty much covers the entire lens (The periphery is not magnified), which is much less distracting than the SSP top focals. If there is a shift in POA/POI, it is minimal due to the magnification occurring over a 2" x 1.5" area. There is no head tilt required.
    I shot more accurately with the .75's compared to the .5's. However, the .5's were not enough magnification (for handgun) for me. The sights were still too blurry to see adequately.

With the .75's, I could just see definition in the sights for proper alignment, and the target (when focusing on it) was just barely fuzzy and not too bad.

I will be purchasing a pair of these at .75, and a pair of 1.0's as well. I'm thinking the .75's would be ideal for me on rifle. I do like that with the SSP's I can shoot scope and such without using the bifocals. The elvex obviously doesn't have that option. But for FNS, USPSA, etc, I think the elvex will fit the bill.

Still strongly considering a reflex sight for my edc at this point...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Reviving this thread. I finally got around to trying out my SSP glasses I got for Christmas. I am not sure they will work for me. Maybe I just need practice but I really have to "hunt" for the proper hold to sight through the magnified part to see only one, clear front sight.

With my Spitz glasses, I have most of the lens is magnified. I can seem to hold on to the sight picture and pick up a focused front sight when I acquire the next target. I see myself timing out trying to shoot a string with these. :)

Is this something that training will help? i imagine the pros have the same stance, head position, etc every shot but I am far from a pro.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I won't let myself use the readers I wear for work and reading to shoot with. Figure they would be tough to put on to shoot if I got in a gunfight. :dunno:

I do use these stick on lenses on my motorcycle helmet for [STRIKE]txting[/STRIKE] reading navigation while riding. They might work for some on their shooting eyepro?

https://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick-Bifocals-2-00/dp/B000W7HQCQ?th=1

I might give these a shot. I could put one on my right lens and leave the left off. I am cross dominant and maybe by leaving the left off, it will blur my vision enough to force my right eye to take over.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I just bought a pair of ESS Crossbow glasses with the 3 lenses (clear, smoked and yellow), and then the Vice Rx prescription insert that has to be taken to your eye doctor to be sent off for the lenses to be made to match your prescription. I have progressive lenses normally, so that is what is being made for me now. I should see them in a week or two.

ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

Here are the inserts, they actually snap into the nosepiece on the inside of the Crossbow glasses:

Vice Rx Insert in Accessories - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

Top Bottom