Best, brightest small flashlight (not weapon mounted)? What's out there?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1milehigher

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    Central Ind
    I'm in the market for an EXTREMELY BRIGHT flashlight that I can carry in my coat pocket. I do NOT want one that has switch settings of HIGH-LOW-STROBE. I find the strobe feature useless for my application. I'd prefer just a plain old ON-OFF without the additional LOW setting.

Price is not much of a factor, although I'm not going to shell out hundreds of dollars.

What's out there in the REAL world??

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I hav been digging the Fenix PD35 Ultra. Has multiple light settings, highest I'd like 950 lumens. Lowest is 15?
    What's nice is the strobe setting is on a different button on the side of the light. It's out of the way, I never use it.

It's a great work light. I use it a lot.

The Fenix PD25 is great too. It's a lot smaller.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I hav been digging the Fenix PD35 Ultra. Has multiple light settings, highest I'd like 950 lumens. Lowest is 15?
    What's nice is the strobe setting is on a different button on the side of the light. It's out of the way, I never use it.

It's a great work light. I use it a lot.

The Fenix PD25 is great too. It's a lot smaller.

I love my UC35, the rechargeable version of the pd35. Good thing about both is the brightness button is separate from the tail switch, and they remember the setting when you turn them off.

I find I use the "low" and "econo" settings way more than the 950. Too bright is useless for most tasks I commonly need a light for.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm in the market for an EXTREMELY BRIGHT flashlight that I can carry in my coat pocket. I do NOT want one that has switch settings of HIGH-LOW-STROBE. I find the strobe feature useless for my application. I'd prefer just a plain old ON-OFF without the additional LOW setting.

Price is not much of a factor, although I'm not going to shell out hundreds of dollars.

What's out there in the REAL world??

So what is "your application"?

1milehigher

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    Central Ind
    I'd like no less than 1000 'lums' as you call them.

My application is irrelevant - suffice to say I know what I need which I describe in my OP above.

My searches, Google and otherwise, do not reveal any other than those that have that stupid strobe setting that you must toggle through to get back to a HIGH setting.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    If I may ignore snarkiness, you've been given decent suggestions that DO NOT require cycling through settings. Not sure you'll find many pocketable lights in that lumin range that do not have lower settings, as they don't have much practical application.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

My application is irrelevant - suffice to say I know what I need which I describe in my OP above.

My searches, Google and otherwise, do not reveal any other than those that have that stupid strobe setting that you must toggle through to get back to a HIGH setting.

If I may ignore snarkiness, you've been given decent suggestions that DO NOT require cycling through settings. Not sure you'll find many pocketable lights in that lumin range that do not have lower settings, as they don't have much practical application.

:yesway: Nailed it.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    What's your budget? Best high lumen light on the market is the Oveready boss at 3200 true lumens but runs about 375 bucks. Also runs on 18650s

Most lights claim much higher lumens than they actually produce. Especially companies like fenix jetbeam nitecore etc. All decent lights but almost none of there max lumen claims are close to true.

Most trusted hard use high lumen lights imo are oveready, malkoff devices, elzetta flashlights. All are fully potted electronics, great warranties if ever needed. All made in America also. Surefire is a solid light also and pretty accurate lumen wise but nothing really new coming from them lately or innovative I should say.

A newer player in the game from china is lumintop. Pretty solid lights for very good prices and pretty accurate lumen wise. Still not as good as the above but for the Chinese companies better than most

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Surefire P3X then. 1000 lumens. $250. You have a choice of a couple of different models.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am looking for something around 500 lum, and less than $100.00 .....

Is ANYTHING available .....

This will be a "duty flashlight and must fit in a "holster" .....

My current flashlight, is 6" long, and uses 3 AAA batteries .....

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    My favorite do it all flashlight. Klarus xt2c. 1100 lumen. Its does have other settings but the light always come on in high mode when you hit the switch. No worries about going through modes to find the brightness you want. Watch a youtube video of any klarus xt lights to see how the switch works. I have three of these lights a xt11, xt1a and a xt2c and im ready to pick up another xt2c. It runs on 2 cr123 batteries or a 18650 which is a single rechargeable battery that is the size of two cr123.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G...larus+xt2c&dpPl=1&dpID=511dmBNIDIL&ref=plSrch

Top Bottom