What's the fallout been from the EOTech reliability issues?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Have they fixed the problems going forward in the new sights, or is it something inherent to the design they use? People keeping them for the most part, or are y'all finding alternatives?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Well by looking at L3's (EOtech parent company) stock prices it did not affect them too much. That being said the issue would have never affected me personally as a civilian. I like AimPoint better though and feel they offer a better product and have yet to understand the advantage EOtech offered

st8kfinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    north east
    Most of the people I talk to didn't even know eotech was giving refunds. I used my refund check to buy a detachable carry handle and tires for my truck. The batteries in my carry handle will never go dead and heat and cold do not change the point of impact.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    It bugged me on eotech personally. Good for them for issuing a full and fair refund but there issue with the dots bugged me a lot. I used my refund as funding for an Aimpoint T2.

If going back to a circle dot reticle is rather play with a new Sig optic or give Vortexs new dot a try

Although Eotechs new Vudu line looks pretty neat, just need to handle them first

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had thermal drift after being exposed to heat/cool cycles in my trunk. It wasn't much, about 1.5" at 50y, and I thought it was getting bumped somehow until they came out with the recall. I took the refund and won't be using Eotech again.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I had thermal drift after being exposed to heat/cool cycles in my trunk. It wasn't much, about 1.5" at 50y, and I thought it was getting bumped somehow until they came out with the recall. I took the refund and won't be using Eotech again.
    Glad to see someone in a professional capacity has made the switch!(to whatever you switched to)Too many I've seen have said, "meh, it hasn't happened to me! The bad thing is, even though it hasn't happened YET, it will, they cannot fix it, and have said so. I never experienced thermal drift with my EoTech, it just ****ing quit working. I also witnessed several more with problems, before I dumped the brand period! There are still patrol rifles and HD rifles out there running these sights, simply because "it hasn't happened to me"! INGO has been rife with what to use for self/home defense, and what happens after questions. So, what happens when you have a sight that it known to exhibit certain problems and you keep it on your HD rifle? (Just devils advocating here, gave up EO junk many years before this).

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I sent mine back. The check paid for my Vortex 1-4x24 refurb and a bit toward the mount, but it took me 6+ months running on just backup sights to decide what I wanted to replace it with.

The plan is to get it sighted in tomorrow. :)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    See, same storage as you, my 512 never budged....now my iron sights, that's a different story. Since having to re-sight my irons, I paint witness marks on them as well as my EoTech just to make sure they are not bumped and get moved.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Glad to see someone in a professional capacity has made the switch!(to whatever you switched to)Too many I've seen have said, "meh, it hasn't happened to me! The bad thing is, even though it hasn't happened YET, it will, they cannot fix it, and have said so. I never experienced thermal drift with my EoTech, it just ****ing quit working. I also witnessed several more with problems, before I dumped the brand period! There are still patrol rifles and HD rifles out there running these sights, simply because "it hasn't happened to me"! INGO has been rife with what to use for self/home defense, and what happens after questions. So, what happens when you have a sight that it known to exhibit certain problems and you keep it on your HD rifle? (Just devils advocating here, gave up EO junk many years before this).

Just playing devils advocate too, someone is not going to experience much thermal drift in their HD firearm, when their home is temperature controlled. Living in the back of a squad car might be a different story, especially in a state where it can vary close to 80 degrees in the matter of a week. And thermal drift isn't necessarily an Eotech specific condition.
    Like I said earlier, devils advocate. Probably 90% of my stuff is Aimpoint.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Just playing devils advocate too, someone is not going to experience much thermal drift in their HD firearm, when their home is temperature controlled. Living in the back of a squad car might be a different story, especially in a state where it can vary close to 80 degrees in the matter of a week. And thermal drift isn't necessarily an Eotech specific condition.
    Like I said earlier, devils advocate. Probably 90% of my stuff is Aimpoint.

Most of the shooting I did was in the same environment and the optic was stored in a stable environment as well, but it seemed like every time I shot my XPS-2, the zero would shift. It was completely unpredictable and seemed like each time I shot it I had to re zero it.

Never had such issues with my T2 or CompM2

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    It sounds like EOtech doesn't care about fixing the issue. Kinda makes you wonder if their product is going to be around much longer.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    I'd been a user of EOTechs since the early 2000s. I had quite a collection of them - but that did not stop me from taking advantage of the rebate and sending them all in. I replaced them all with Trijicon MRO and have been very, very satisfied.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    So are current production EOTechs "fixed," or does anyone really know?

No, they've said that it's inherent to the design. It cannot be "fixed," per se.

So if you're OK with knowing that thermal drift is a part of owning an EOTech, then they're still rock solid. If you're not OK with that, then buy something else. But EOTech seems to think that this is just inherent to holographic sights.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No, they've said that it's inherent to the design. It cannot be "fixed," per se.

So if you're OK with knowing that thermal drift is a part of owning an EOTech, then they're still rock solid. If you're not OK with that, then buy something else. But EOTech seems to think that this is just inherent to holographic sights.

That's unfortunate.

I haven't seen the issue with my old AA EOTechs, but I don't typically try to shoot small groups at 100 or 240 yards with it. I've been able to hit steel and paper reliably out to 240 yards at temps that are way above and way below the temp from when I zeroed.

I am not motivated to purchase another of their products, though.

Top Bottom