• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    What's everyone's current favorite for 1911 mags in 45? I went ahead and ordered a couple Tripp Cobra 8 rounders and a couple Wilson 47D's to get started but will get more I am sure. :) Anybody use CMC mags still? Lol

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've had good luck with springfield factory mags, Chip McCormick mags, and the 47D's that I have are regarded as my premium mags. I use 230gr FMJ in a springfield loaded and haven't had any issues with any of the mags I've been running.

:popcorn: I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is using.

FYI, for the price at $80 per 10 mags I almost bought some of these, but I chickened out. http://palmettostatearmory.com/tumb...5-acp-with-psa-logo-pack-of-10-516444577.html They may be some good practice mags.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I always ran Wilsons as well, along with the factory mags. I traded into some Tripp research Cobra mags with the last Springfield I had and they are outstanding! I've used a few CMC powermags in the past and they worked fine for what I did, but Brownells has both Tripp and Wilson 8 rounders on sale right now so why even bother. Teddy12 I saw those as well and while tempting I too would probably chicken out, Lol Oh and I have also used some of the Kimber Kimpro 8 rounders to good results on the range anyways.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Wilson or Chip

For .45 I pretty much run only the Wilson ETMs. I have some service mag+ and 47Ds laying around. They are 7 round mags. Yes I consider the 47Ds to be 7 rounders because that 8th round is tight. For an 8 round mag look no further then the ETMs.

9mm 1911 mags I am using the Wilson ETMs and the new Chip 9xp. If you go the ETM route and want 10 rounds make sure you get the updated version with metal followers. So far I am impressed with the CMC 9xp and those are the mags currently in both mine and my wife's guns that are designated for "social purposes".

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Wilson or Chip

For .45 I pretty much run only the Wilson ETMs. I have some service mag+ and 47Ds laying around. They are 7 round mags. Yes I consider the 47Ds to be 7 rounders because that 8th round is tight. For an 8 round mag look no further then the ETMs.

9mm 1911 mags I am using the Wilson ETMs and the new Chip 9xp. If you go the ETM route and want 10 rounds make sure you get the updated version with metal followers. So far I am impressed with the CMC 9xp and those are the mags currently in both mine and my wife's guns that are designated for "social purposes".

Thanks for the info! I plan on grabbing a couple of the ETM's in 45 as well, have you tried the Vickers Wilson magazine?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks for the info! I plan on grabbing a couple of the ETM's in 45 as well, have you tried the Vickers Wilson magazine?

Have not. Saw an ad for it though. Would have to look again but I think an ETM with the mag body closed up and stronger spring? I think they make an ETM plus or service or other such thing? I just have a pile of the regular ETMs. So long as you don't destroy the bodies you can buy the follower and springs for $8 maybe. Just rebuild the magazines instead of replacing. I usually pick up a couple new mags every year to use for carry then rotate the others into the USPSA/training pile.

I have pretty much much switched to 9mm 1991 for the most part.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Have not. Saw an ad for it though. Would have to look again but I think an ETM with the mag body closed up and stronger spring? I think they make an ETM plus or service or other such thing? I just have a pile of the regular ETMs. So long as you don't destroy the bodies you can buy the follower and springs for $8 maybe. Just rebuild the magazines instead of replacing. I usually pick up a couple new mags every year to use for carry then rotate the others into the USPSA/training pile.

I have pretty much much switched to 9mm 1991 for the most part.

I haven't had the chance to shoot a 9mm 1911 yet but I hear they're very nice! I think you're right on the vickers being an ETM that's closed up.

I used CMC Shooting Star's exclusively for competition and carry for 7 years.

I'm out of the single stack business now, at least for a while. I'll be selling a baker's dozen stainless 8 round CMC Shooting Stars. These are well seasoned mags that were upgraded with Wolf +5% springs. Let me know if interested.

Yessir shoot me a PM when you're ready.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I haven't had the chance to shoot a 9mm 1911 yet but I hear they're very nice! I think you're right on the vickers being an ETM that's closed up.

I am a big 9mm 1911 fan. But I have been playing with some different .45 acp loads and the larger caliber might see more range time in 2017. I will say the .45 is quite a bit easier to get running right.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I always ran Wilsons as well, along with the factory mags. I traded into some Tripp research Cobra mags with the last Springfield I had and they are outstanding! I've used a few CMC powermags in the past and they worked fine for what I did, but Brownells has both Tripp and Wilson 8 rounders on sale right now so why even bother. Teddy12 I saw those as well and while tempting I too would probably chicken out, Lol Oh and I have also used some of the Kimber Kimpro 8 rounders to good results on the range anyways.

When I saw it was the same picture they use for the Taurus 1911 mags, I lost a lot of interest quick. If that deal is still around 6 months from now with plenty of good reviews, then I'll rethink my decision.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I saw some of the Vickers ones at the LGS, they looked cool but not $50+ a piece cool. Once Allen fixed my gun my Chip Power plus? Mags have worked great.

Yikes $50+ is no good! I have a good bunch of CMC power mags coming so I will have a good spread of brands to try again. I can't wait, now to find the time to make it happen. I'm going to shoot this alone from here out until I get squirreled.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    My 9mm 1911 runs great on the Cobra Tripp 10 rounders. Never a problem with the mags.

What's everyone's current favorite for 1911 mags in 45? I went ahead and ordered a couple Tripp Cobra 8 rounders and a couple Wilson 47D's to get started but will get more I am sure. :) Anybody use CMC mags still? Lol

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom