Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Red Dot Optics and astigmatism

In another thread, someone mentioned that having an astigmatism and using a red dot sight could mean the dot is blurry. I had no idea about this. Many years ago (about 1999 or 2000), I had a cheap Tasco red dot on a Super Redhawk and the dot was kinda "starburst" like. I just figured that was how it was supposed to be as I had never use a red dot before. It really didn't bother me though.

I will be buying some sort of RDS in the next month or so for my AR. I had kinda figured on the Bushnell TRS-25 or TRS-32. But reading up on this problem, I'm not sure now. Supposedly, a pair of polorized glasses and or leaving the rear sight up will help out. But is there another optic, under $200, that will help out with this problem?

I need to do a little window shopping at my LGS and see what I like anyway before I buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pudly View Post
    FYI- You can make that assumption, but not everyone intends to dicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Sponge Bob was the engineer who designed the Glock trigger. The feel of the trigger press was a self-portrait.

***Hey, you be friends with Kirk Freeman and see how it affects you.***
    INGOer # 23050

You will want a Prism sight. Im not aware of any under 200 bucks, but that doesn't mean there are not any.

Example

http://aaoptics.com/Spitfire-AR-Prism-_c_54.html
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

Take Alans advice on the prism optic. I struggled with red dots until I tried a spitfire 1x. I have an astigmatism and the spitfire is a crisp and clear dot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Duck View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure Chubbs was telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
    You will want a Prism sight. Im not aware of any under 200 bucks, but that doesn't mean there are not any.

Example

Spitfire AR Prism
    Thanks Allen. What's the dot size on that one?

EDIT: Found it on the Vortex page.

Sponge Bob was the engineer who designed the Glock trigger. The feel of the trigger press was a self-portrait.

INGOer # 23050

I also have an astigmatism and find using the lowest brightness setting I can get by with helps to reduce the "starburst" effect of RD's.

While I still use RD's, I recently picked up a Spitfire from Alan and the starburst is gone. The "downside" to prism sights is that they don't work well with magnifiers that are used with the RD's.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I also have an astigmatism and find using the lowest brightness setting I can get by with helps to reduce the "starburst" effect of RD's.

While I still use RD's, I recently picked up a Spitfire from Alan and the starburst is gone. The "downside" to prism sights is that they don't work well with magnifiers that are used with the RD's.
    Thanks. I don't plan on using a magnifier so that won't be an issue. I'll try a few out and see how I feel about them, then give Allen a call.

INGOer # 23050

Looking through a rear aperture can help but it's not a real fix IMO. The prism looks very good to me. A bit heavy and a bit of paralax but worth it.

I tried out a TRS-25 while at Bass Pro on Saturday. Inwas happy with what I saw. On a low power setting, there was little starburst. Even turning the brightness up, it wasn't horrible. I'd still like to find a prism sight to compare it to though before I buy something.

INGOer # 23050

+1 on the prism sight. I have a Gen 1 Spitfire 1x and love it. Very crisp circle and dot. Paralax is really limited on the 1x. Can't speak to the 3x. The new AR-specific Spitfire looks really nice and is high on my list of next purchases.

So I have an astigmatism on my right eye. When I look through my aimpoint t1, the dot isnt a clear crisp dot, but to me looks more like a line similar to a slash \ ..... I know its not the optic as I can go support hand and eye and the dot looks crisp.....

This happens to me on all red dots that I own including multiple aimpoint t1s and trijicon rmr, so even on higher end red dots you might not get a crisp dot.

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    And if it could explode in the general direction of my mouth, that'd be even better.
    Quote Originally Posted by indiucky View Post
    But to be fair to me the cock was in the down position....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast