What's considered the 'safe' eye relief for a 50 BMG scope ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Before someone asks, yes, I've already been in contact with AA Optics, but I'm still considering all of my options and am not in a hurry.
    Short story: I purchased the new Serbu RN-50, and am looking to throw a riflescope on it. Other than the Vortex products, I'm also considering one of the new Athlon scopes .... specifically, their Argos BTR 6-24 X50 FFP MIL scope. The eye relief is listed at 3.3", versus 4" for several other scopes that I've researched. The Athlon is attractive in both price and customer reviews, and could be a perfect casual low-use scope for the new Serbu.

BUT .... I also don't want it slamming into my safety glasses. Gosh, it seems like I'd only have about 2" between the safety glasses and the eyepiece of the scope. I have shot the Serbu, and the recoil impulse is well-tamed by the fishgill muzzle, but I'm hesitant without further knowledge. Am I really gonna miss that extra .7" of eye relief ?

If anyone could help me with experienced info, I'd appreciate it. Thanks ! :)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I currently have three .50bmgs and have owned two others. The short answer is that it really depends more in the recoil characteristics of the gun and the shooter's hold on the gun. I currently run Nightforce NXS and Bushnell 4200 and have run SuperSniper 20x and Leupold Mark 3 in the past. I own a Barret '82A1, an LAR Grizzly Big Bore, and a custom left handed Ferret50 on a lower I built. I have owned a Bohica and an AR50.

I have never had an issue with eye relief with any of those guns and optics combinations, but I also make sure I am holding the gun tight, and the lower based guns I own had a lot of extra weight in the lower to reduce felt recoil.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I currently have three .50bmgs and have owned two others. The short answer is that it really depends more in the recoil characteristics of the gun and the shooter's hold on the gun. I currently run Nightforce NXS and Bushnell 4200 and have run SuperSniper 20x and Leupold Mark 3 in the past. I own a Barret '82A1, an LAR Grizzly Big Bore, and a custom left handed Ferret50 on a lower I built. I have owned a Bohica and an AR50.

I have never had an issue with eye relief with any of those guns and optics combinations, but I also make sure I am holding the gun tight, and the lower based guns I own had a lot of extra weight in the lower to reduce felt recoil.

Thanks so much for your articulate insight. It's much appreciated.
    Unlike you, this is my first 'Fifty', so I'm very excited at this new venture.
    My friend and I used the tunnel under the sight base to sight down the barrel when we function tested it three weeks ago.
    Both of us remarked at how (surprisingly) little recoil we felt ..... but it could have been masked by adrenaline !

As you suggest, I suppose that the only way to know for sure is to put a scope on it, and throw some lead. I just hope I don't end up with a black eye if I purchase the Athlon scope. The (refurb) Vortex PST from AA is still in consideration, but I do admire the FFP setup of the Athlon.

The gun has an easy to grasp large round vented handguard, and I assume that you mean a good grip, and a very firm pull into the shoulder would ease the recoil impulse. Correct, shibumiseeker ?

Anyone else ? Additional info would still be appreciated ! :)

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This is just a random idea, but maybe a good way to judge how much eye relief to go for would be to fire a few shots with iron sights only, then measure how far it recoils rearward with the way that you hold it, then select a scope with sufficient eye relief.
    Another idea that would completely take the recoil concern out of the equation, although not as easy to use as a conventional rifle scope, would be to install a scout scope.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Both are good ideas, and the second is intriguing !
    Hmmm..... a scout scope. That would be a novel approach to a 50BMG.

Thanks, oldpink ! :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom