• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did a Google search and found an older thread and was going to resurrect it, but it was mostly posts pertaining to IWB.

I just acquired a nice 586 with a 4" barrel. Looking for holster ideas. Here are the basic features I want:

Leather
    OWB
    No retention strap
    Prefer pancake

I will be using it for range and possibly will give it a run at some kind of match one day(ICORE, IDPA,etc.).

I won't be using this as a carry gun.

I am looking at the Milt Sparks 55BN, a Tucker Gun Leather pancake, a Kramer Belt Scabbard and the Desantis Speed Scabbard.

Anything else I should learn about as far as a holster for this revolver?

Thanks.

DaveM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I was going to suggest Daltech, a company right here in Indiana that makes great products at a great price. Sadly your firearm doesn't seem to have an option in their pancake line. So I would second the suggestion of SimplyRugged. Great product, perfectly reasonable prices and lots of options. Do be aware though that it can sometimes take a while to get it sent to you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was going to suggest Daltech, a company right here in Indiana that makes great products at a great price. Sadly your firearm doesn't seem to have an option in their pancake line. So I would second the suggestion of SimplyRugged. Great product, perfectly reasonable prices and lots of options. Do be aware though that it can sometimes take a while to get it sent to you.

Hmm, too bad about Daltech. I have one of their bull belts and I really like it. I've looked at the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake. Definitely a contender.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Have you looked at the JIT slide from Don Hume? I carry a 327 PC so it's a bit different but it dies carry very comfortably. I no longer use my pancake holsters because of the JIT.

DaveM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I use the BioBelt and I'm pretty happy with it myself. You could always call or email them about it. I spoke to Tricia up there a while back and she told me they buy new guns all the time, they just have been behind and their website is not always up to date.

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    LOBO GUN LEATHER makes very nice Leather pancake and scabbard holsters . The BN 55 from Milt Sparks is a very nice holster as well---Make sure you talk to CSR at Sparks about what type/size belt you will be using. iT MAKES A DIFFERENCE WHEN THEY SIZE YOUR BELT LOOPS...

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    LOBO GUN LEATHER makes very nice Leather pancake and scabbard holsters . The BN 55 from Milt Sparks is a very nice holster as well---Make sure you talk to CSR at Sparks about what type/size belt you will be using. iT MAKES A DIFFERENCE WHEN THEY SIZE YOUR BELT LOOPS...

Looked at Lobo. The product looks good but the notes on not calling them, using e-mail only kinda turned me off. I would have to hear some good reports about their customer service before I took a chance with them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks all for the great replies. I am narrowing it down, maybe?

I really don't want so much cant since I am not going to carry it concealed on a regular basis and if I understand correctly in a competition like IDPA a more vertical drop is preferred? Chime in please.

I am looking at the Tucker HF3 which I can get in a 3 degree cant.
    The Combat Master, Simply Rugged Pancake and Kramer Belt Scabbard all have a 15 degree cant.

A few of them just have 1 3/4" belt slots. My belt is a 1 1/2". Is that a potential issue?

I am patient but Sparks 12-18 weeks lead time exceeds my willingness to wait so they are out.:)

I ran across a Falco Open Top Leather Belt Holster but read quite a bit of bad press on them. Anyone have any experience with them?

And lastly, I have not contacted ETW yet. I have a really nice holster for my Shield from him. I bet he could make me one with the cant and belt slots that I want.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have an HF1 for my SP-01 and an HF3 for my Alaskan. I also have a Simply Rugged pancake for a Ruger GP-100 that also works for my S&W 29-10.

If you're going to use it for games, I'd recommend the HF3 over the pancake style for ease of reholstering. I got the leather lining in my HF3 and it makes the draw smoother when compared to my unlined HF1... kinda apples and oranges, but that's my experience. Both my Tucker's and the Simply Rugged are well made, the Tucker's have better retention and the SR conceals better. Here's some pics...

The Hi Viz FO sight drags in the Tucker; I should have ordered the taller sight channel

29-10 in SR

GP-100 with same SR Pancake

Better option for games, IMO... I think this is a Henry Holster.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have an HF1 for my SP-01 and an HF3 for my Alaskan. I also have a Simply Rugged pancake for a Ruger GP-100 that also works for my S&W 29-10.

If you're going to use it for games, I'd recommend the HF3 over the pancake style for ease of reholstering. I got the leather lining in my HF3 and it makes the draw smoother when compared to my unlined HF1... kinda apples and oranges, but that's my experience. Both my Tucker's and the Simply Rugged are well made, the Tucker's have better retention and the SR conceals better. Here's some pics...

The Hi Viz FO sight drags in the Tucker; I should have ordered the taller sight channel

29-10 in SR

GP-100 with same SR Pancake

Better option for games, IMO... I think this is a Henry Holster.

Awesome Glenn! Thanks for the pics and comments. I have been talking back and forth with Rob at Tucker. He also recommends the HF-3 for the same reasons you stated. I won't be doing much gaming at all and for this particular firearm, I want to keep it old school leather. I have a really nice holster for my Shield from ETW holsters so I am talking to him also.

But so far the Tucker has risen to the top. I'm thinking though that I would order it without any cant. What do you think?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I think cant is personal preference, and I personally prefer less to more. I don't carry the Alaskan too often (duh!), but I open carry the CZ/HF1 every so often and it's relatively small amount of cant doesn't really bug me. The HF3/Alaskan combo has less cant... it feels like almost none.

I think you'd be pleased with the Tucker; I know I am. It does what a holster needs to do, and looks great doing it. The stitching on both of mine is immaculate, the leather is thick and screams "quality." I got "dark brown" and "saddle tan," and I like the tan... If I decide to get a dedicated holster for my 29-10, I'll probably get an HF3 in "medium brown" with white stitching.

Here's what the ling looks like from the mouth:

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    To further muddy the waters, I carry my 686 in this or the SR pancake from time to time. It's definitely not as nice looking, or well built, as the Tucker but it does was holster needs to do. It has probably 10-15 degrees of cant.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks all! I have decided to purchase the Tucker HF-3 with a neutral cant. I kinda liked the Lobo in the pics but I like Tucker's satisfaction guarantee better than Lobo's "buy it and it's your's" policy.

I think the Tucker will be a nice compliment to my 586 and if I decide to try out IDPA with it, it will work well for that.

ervinws

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2016
    midwest
    I know Daltech has made custom holster for a several people I know that have some odd guns. They do custom work if you contact them. They were more then willing to make the holster that our gun group needed no matter the gun. My people have pancake holsters, full coverage holsters and several other belt slide holsters. And are very happy.

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    Just remembered
    Spark's 55 BN is a belt Scabbard (AVENGER Style Holster & not a Pancake Type of Holster).
    Also , I have used Enhanced Avenger & Enhanced Pancake holsters from Lobo Gun Leather---Both were excellent holsters.
    Both were made by Ray Cory , the original owner of LOBO. He sold to the present owners 1-2 years ago. I believe they make the same exact holsters Ray used to make , but may market them in a different manner(social media). You might have better luck trying to email them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I got my Tucker HF-3 in the mail this week and I really like it. Both my 617 and 586 fit fine(617 is a little loose compared to the 586 but will still work well).

The quality is great and I was surprised at how tight against my hip the holster/gun sits. I could easily carry it concealed with an untucked shirt if I so desired. And I like the 3 degree cant.

Now I need to get out and shoot some!

If you, like me in this case plan on keeping the gun long term(like forever), then spending some money on a quality holster should not be an issue. I should have this one for my lifetime.

Top Bottom