• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    What are your thoughts on talon grips? I have a Glock 19 Gen 4 with the RTG but was thinking about putting some talon grips on it. Are the talon grips as good as everyone says they are? Is the granulate or the rubber better?

Thank you

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Just put set on and had them to the range today. G19 gen4. I got the rubber version. Love them. It does take a little more effort to draw from the holster but the grip is so much more positive. for $18 shipped if you don't like it throw it in the trash. You won't though.

gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    Just put set on and had them to the range today. G19 gen4. I got the rubber version. Love them. It does take a little more effort to draw from the holster but the grip is so much more positive. for $18 shipped if you don't like it throw it in the trash. You won't though.

What do you mean when you say that, "It does take a little more effort to draw from the holster"? Do you mean like the grip makes the holster not fit as well or that its hard to get a good grip when drawing?

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    OP, here is my take...

I've used three sets of Talon grips, all implementations have been on Glocks. I have mixed feelings about them. If you decide to give them a try, surface preparation is key (even with a new gun).

Granular Style
    - The granular style works well for a competition gun. Its very aggressive texture helps maintain a good grip...you just better make sure you establish a good grip as you begin the draw from your holster. There's no tweaking your grip after you withdraw from your holster, as your hand is locked in position (good or bad) extremely well.
    - I wouldn't recommend this version for EDC, as the texture will put a hurtin' on your clothing, oblique muscles, and/or vehicle seat in a hurry! I carry OWB at 3:30 and IWB at 4:00.
    - This style isn't quite as compliant/stretchy as the rubber style, so application to your gun must be spot on to avoid wrinkles
    - Adhesive will eventually fail

Rubber Style
    - Good for EDC. I've had the same Talon wrap on my G26 EDC for 2 years with no issues. A definite improvement over the standard Glock grip texture and absolutely helps with retention.
    - Adhesive will eventually fail. I've also found that extreme heat can make the Talon grip "walk" on the gun. I discovered this during a week-long training session at Gunsite in AZ. The air temp was over 110 F in Phoenix and sun in full force. By the end of the week the Talon grip was moving all over the place and started to stretch and wrinkle, as a result of the heat and high use rate.

Overall, I like them and would recommend them if you don't want to commit to stippling your plastic gun.

gunman45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    indianapolis
    OP, here is my take...

I've used three sets of Talon grips, all implementations have been on Glocks. I have mixed feelings about them. If you decide to give them a try, surface preparation is key (even with a new gun).

Granular Style
    - The granular style works well for a competition gun. Its very aggressive texture helps maintain a good grip...you just better make sure you establish a good grip as you begin the draw from your holster. There's no tweaking your grip after you withdraw from your holster, as your hand is locked in position (good or bad) extremely well.
    - I wouldn't recommend this version for EDC, as the texture will put a hurtin' on your clothing, oblique muscles, and/or vehicle seat in a hurry! I carry OWB at 3:30 and IWB at 4:00.
    - This style isn't quite as compliant/stretchy as the rubber style, so application to your gun must be spot on to avoid wrinkles
    - Adhesive will eventually fail

Rubber Style
    - Good for EDC. I've had the same Talon wrap on my G26 EDC for 2 years with no issues. A definite improvement over the standard Glock grip texture and absolutely helps with retention.
    - Adhesive will eventually fail. I've also found that extreme heat can make the Talon grip "walk" on the gun. I discoverd this during a week-long training session at Gunsite in AZ. The air temp was over 110 F in Phoenix and sun in full force. By the end of the week the Talon grip was moving all over the place and started to stretch and wrinkle, as a result of the heat and high use rate.

Overall, I like them and would recommend them if you don't want to commit to stippling your plastic gun.

Thank you! This is very helpful! The Glock you have the talon grips on is it a Gen 3 or 4? I am using this gun that I am interested in putting talon grips on for EDC.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Thank you! This is very helpful! The Glock you have the talon grips on is it a Gen 3 or 4? I am using this gun that I am interested in putting talon grips on for EDC.

All of my applications have involved Gen 3 Glocks. I believe the Gen 4 has a slightly better texture (i.e. more grippy) than the Gen 3. The Talon will add an order of magnitude of improvement, with regards to retention imho. The rubber style Talon also adds a touch of compliance/softness to the hard plastic that make up Glock frames. It just makes the gun feel better to me.

I initially had a granular Talon on a competion Glock 34. It was great for 1 day events. I decided to take the Glock 34 to my Gunsite class and changed the granular to rubber before the 5 day ordeal. I'm glad I did! I managed to get a blister or two from the rubber grip (just a result of high use and my relatively soft engineer hands). Had I stuck with the granular style for this class, I would have been treating bleeding wounds no doubt!

For me, these grips were cheap to try and I was generally pleased. Just be aware of the possible shortcomings. Like I said, prepare the surface WELL. Also, once you get the Talon grip applied press every square mm HARD...repeatedly. Focus especially on the margins/edges of the Talon grip. As with most adhesives, they require a bit of time before they reach full adhesion strength. Lastly, keep the cleaning solvents away from the grip!

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have the rubber on all my glocks except one. Left one without so I don't lose track of shooting without Talon grips.

I have had some issues with the small flag next to the lanyard hole slipping. One I reheated (a lot :runaway:) and think I may have it this time. The other got a wee drop of stupidglue.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Since the grip is slightly tacky when drawing across the leather of my IWB holster it takes more efffort. Not a night and day difference but it was noticeable. I can not speak to the longevity of the grips but for $18 if it last a couple years I'll be happy. I was sold on them after a fellow and myself swapped guns at the range. It makes the pistol feel like more a part of your hand. As with any sticker that I want to stay on I used liberal amounts of alcohol on a lint free cloth to clean any residue off. The prep pad the send if definitely not enough. They do make different sizes for the different back straps so make sure you order the right one.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I love Talon grips. I have them for my EDC and thinking about putting them on my safe guns as well. A friend of mine was trying to talk me into stippling but I couldn't see permanently damaging my grip just in case I screwed it up. If you don't like them, you can always take them off.

Endrin2113

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Plainfield
    I have the rubberized Talon Grips on my Shield 9. They're fantastic. However, after removing the finger grooves and stippling my G19, I am 100% on board with stippling every plastic gun I own. To each his own though.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have the rubber ones on an M&P 9c and a Sig P320 - I've also had them on a couple of other guns I've since moved on. I recommend them in your on the fence about stippling - it's a good non-permanent way to see if you really want more texture. They hold up pretty well but I imagine they'll most likely need to be replaced with a new set if you're a high-volume shooter.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I have the rubber ones on my 9mm Shield which is my EDC and I am completely satisfied with how well they work. Definitely made the gun more controllable in all respects. The recommendation about proper gun prep is 100% spot on. I used 4 or 5 alcohol wipes to de-grease the frame, and the frame must be 100% clean as possible. You must also be careful while installing the grips not to allow it to stick to itself. Also DO NOT put down news paper as the surface you will work on as the grips will stick instantly and perminately to any paper like surface.

Mine have been on for about 8 months now, and so far so good.

219Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2014
    NWI
    I have the rubberized version on my Glock 26 gen 4 and 43. So far so good. In addition to enhancing your grip while shooting, they are much more comfortable against your bare skin iwb than the gen 4 grip is on its own.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    After a couple year of heavy use, they can begin to peel a bit on the corners. Throw some super glue on that bad boy. Never again an issue. On my m&p shield and HIGHLY recommended.

Top Bottom