• lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    And think you will too.

I love Danner boots - they have been my favorites for a decade. But I was recently introduced to the Salomon Forces line of boots and I am smitten. I love what I see, but my experience is limited with the line. Anyone here have any experience wearing these that can chime in?

This thread is to discuss the boots - but so you know, we are adding these to our store. If you want to try a pair, we have an introductory offer but I won't spoil this thread with a link (you can see it by visiting our INGO Sponsor forum in the advertisers section).

Back on topic - anyone have a recent experience with Salomon footwear? I am especially interested in this pair:

L37949900_1024x1024.jpg

I think they look like they are just my style.

Maybe I could even get away with a pair in black on duty? :)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I had a pair of the XA Pro 3D Mids, they were great boots, but I still prefer the Asolo Fugitives or FSN 95's. Lately though I've been on a Keen Targhee, or Keen Detroit Steel toe Utility boot fad. The Keens at full retail are only $130ish

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Do they have protected toe work boots?

No Sorry. Not this brand. We sell the Danners with the composite toe, but Salomon is more of an outdoor, go faster kinda boot, and not so much a rugged duty or protective brand. We can help you out with some Danners, for work, and some Salomons for the range. :)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've got a pair and think they're great. They're as light as UA boots but way more sturdy. I was concerned about the lacing system (think team Wendy Cam) but it's held up great and I wish all my shoes were that easy and quick to put on. Danner is my favorite all weather boot, UA is my favorite comfy boot and the salomon are my favorite good weather hiking boot. Excellent tread, as fast to put on as 1980s Velcro 'Roos, sturdy, lightweight, and cool. You should carry them as I'll buy more.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought a pair of their Quest 4D 2 GTX a few years ago after getting several recommendations for them when I was looking for good boots for an elk hunt. I was impressed with them from the moment I put them on and still love em. I wore them for a year and when I was in Canada fishing last year I noticed a little (1/4") section where the sole was coming loose. I emailed Salomon just asking if I should be concerned and they shipped me a brand new pair. The new pair are still in the box and the original pair are still going strong (still waterproof).

I bought a pair of their trail running shoes and they were too narrow. I don't understand why there would be a difference in width between shoes and boots but there appears to be. The boots fit great but the shoes are sitting on the shelf unused. I never have issues with width so the shoes are simply too narrow or at least more narrow than average.

Overall fantastic company that stands behind their products and produces good stuff.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have three pair now and really like them. I do hate the quick lace system on my XA Pro Mids, but that is my only complaint (they don't stay tight for long). I just loop them around the lock, but it takes longer than just tying regular laces.

I wore Danner for years and their quality has just gone into the toilet.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In your opinion - and/or in those who come across this thread:

Are the above boots suitable for day-hiking in rugged/semi-rugged terrain for a big fat guy?

I'm in desperate need for new hiking boots - as the 5 year old Tevas I've been rocking have about given up the ghost (Uppers are still FANTASTIC - but I've about worn the soles smooth!!)

I've been cross-shopping Merrill, Keen, Vasque - and, now, Solomon.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    In your opinion - and/or in those who come across this thread:

Are the above boots suitable for day-hiking in rugged/semi-rugged terrain for a big fat guy?

I will let others chime in, but I can't imagine why these boots would not perfect for you on rugged terrain. Its what they are made for with no regard for the size of the wearer.

Top Bottom