Biodegradable clay pigeons? (regular ones don't break down over time)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Where can I find biodegradable clay pigeons? The facility we are going to be shooting at requires them (BSA new requirement for at least this camp, I don't know if it is all properties). I didn't know until 5 minutes ago that regular clay's do not break down over time!
    Another instructor has started looking and at least Wal Mart doesn't stock them. We are close enough to the event that shipping is not likely to happen in time and cases of clays would likely be cost prohibitive to ship.

Anyone have any leads or suggestions?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Walmart website also says they are in stock at the Walmart in Carmel but they are in fact not. I'll try the one in Frankfort because I go by there a couple times a week. If someone actually goes to the one on the south side and thinks about it, let me know if you actually see any.
    Yeah, surprisingly they are a little under $6 for a case of 90, but you have to find somewhere that actually carries them.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep
    I have blasted hundreds of the Champion brand pigeons from Wal-Mart, and they're terrific.
    They hang together (as long as your launcher is set up right), and they break down naturally from normal weathering.
    They're also reasonably priced.

dvd1955

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Walmart website says they are in stock in Kokomo, but all they had were the champion brand. No mention on the box that those are biodegradable. Does say they are toxic to pets and other critters. Guy at the store says they only get one brand at a time and he never knows what they'll get until they arrive. Can't order the biodegradable ones for free ship–to–store because it says they are already in stock.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    You can always site to store them. Provided they dont show them in stock.

When I read the additional details on how that works they first try to find nearby stores that have them in stock to speed up delivery. Most stores are listed as 'in stock" but are in fact not. I need these by next weekend and I greatly anticipate problems with doing site to store with this. By the time I place the order, the computer tries to find neighboring stores that have them "in stock", wait.....they figure out it isn't, wait....they find another location, wait... then it is late next week, I don't have what I need and have about 70+ scouts wanting to shoot. I'm going to first focus on finding a place with them in stock.

If that doesn't work we'll try to see if the BSA property can postpone the new rule requiring the biodegradable kind for us. They've used the regular kind for close to 100 years there, one more weekend isn't going to kill all the hippies in Bloomington. :-)

dvd1955

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I've had good luck and bad luck with walmart's site–to–store. Biggest problem in Kokomo is trying to get someone to the site–to–store service desk.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When I read the additional details on how that works they first try to find nearby stores that have them in stock to speed up delivery. Most stores are listed as 'in stock" but are in fact not. I need these by next weekend and I greatly anticipate problems with doing site to store with this. By the time I place the order, the computer tries to find neighboring stores that have them "in stock", wait.....they figure out it isn't, wait....they find another location, wait... then it is late next week, I don't have what I need and have about 70+ scouts wanting to shoot. I'm going to first focus on finding a place with them in stock.

If that doesn't work we'll try to see if the BSA property can postpone the new rule requiring the biodegradable kind for us. They've used the regular kind for close to 100 years there, one more weekend isn't going to kill all the hippies in Bloomington. :-)

If it would, I just might chip in for a couple dozen boxes for good measure. LOL

Or print up labels that say "New formula, NOW BIODEGRADEABLE!" and apply them to the boxes. :whistle:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Walmart website says they are in stock in Kokomo, but all they had were the champion brand. No mention on the box that those are biodegradable. Does say they are toxic to pets and other critters. Guy at the store says they only get one brand at a time and he never knows what they'll get until they arrive. Can't order the biodegradable ones for free ship–to–store because it says they are already in stock.

I've shot plenty of the Champions, and the box indicates they are indeed biodegradable.
    Think about it...in this day and age, does anyone honestly believe that a manufacturer could get away with selling targets designed to be shot and shattered without them also breaking down naturally?

dvd1955

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I've shot plenty of the Champions, and the box indicates they are indeed biodegradable.
    Think about it...in this day and age, does anyone honestly believe that a manufacturer could get away with selling targets designed to be shot and shattered without them also breaking down naturally?
    Then why make a new rule banning them?

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Ive bought the normal orange and black bulk box from wally world and left them out in the back of the truck in the rain. After a couple weeks they were falling apart.

Top Bottom