• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I'm turning to the collective wisdom of INGO to aid in my choice of an optic for my 5.56 AR. I'm very heavily leaning toward a Burris XTR-II scope because of the huge discount that Burris offers to certified instructors (50% off list price). If anyone knows of other scope manufacturers with similar offerings who give instructor discounts please let me know.

I like low power variable scopes so I've narrowed my choice to one of the following setups:
    1. A 1-5x scope in an AD-RECON mount (XTR II? Riflescope 1-5x24mm | Burris Optics)
    2. A 1-5X combo with a Fastfire III (Combos, kits and Bundles | Burris Optics, bottom of the page)
    3. A 1-8X scope in an AD-RECON mount (XTR II? Riflescope 1-8x24 | Burris Optics)

The first two are effectively the same price since #2 includes a mount (although not QD), while the 1-8X setup is about $60 more (I already have a mount). This is my SHTF rifle so it'll be used for target practice, training, and maybe some competition if I ever get the opportunity. My current favorite is the 1-8X because my eyes aren't getting any younger. However most of my shooting will be 100 yards or less, and at this point I can't imagine having an opportunity to reach beyond 300 yards, so I'm wondering if maybe that extra 3X is a waste.

What would be your choice from these 3 setups?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    For an SHTF rifle, I'd want something especially robust. Is the Burris that kind of optic?

For a true SHTF, I'd want a low power fixed, non-illuminated optic that lets me reach 3-400m without problem. Nothing to go wrong if it has no variable zoom or illumination to fail.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    For an SHTF rifle, I'd want something especially robust. Is the Burris that kind of optic?

For a true SHTF, I'd want a low power fixed, non-illuminated optic that lets me reach 3-400m without problem. Nothing to go wrong if it has no variable zoom or illumination to fail.

If an illuminated optic doesn't "illuminate" you still have a crosshair.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If you can get that Burris XTR for 50% off then I'd do that for sure. Their XTR line is definitely GTG. Contrary to popular belief here on INGO there are other good scopes in the $600-$1000 range other than Vortex

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Some input on the magnification choice. I have a 1-6x strike eagle and it is plenty for me to see bullet holes in paper at 100yds. With that being said, i dont think it ever hurts to have extra magnification especially if you are still getting the true 1x magnification on the low end.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lol.....this.

The XTR ii is GTG. Buy with confidence. Especially if you can get a good deal on it.

Although I do love the Vortex scopes I have. But I also own others that are also exceptional. Vortex is not the only game in town. Buy whatever makes the most sense for your needs.

If you can get that Burris XTR for 50% off then I'd do that for sure. Their XTR line is definitely GTG. Contrary to popular belief here on INGO there are other good scopes in the $600-$1000 range other than Vortex

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I did. I chose the FFP ballistic circle dot reticle. Still haven't been able to get out and zero though.

Speaking of which, anybody got a recommendation for a zero distance? Normally I'd go with a 75 yard zero but the reticle has enough hash marks that maybe 100 yards would make more sense.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    There is no right, wrong, better, worse zero distance. As long as YOU know your zero distance, and know all your dope, you will make the same hits, at the same range's with any zero distance.

The key is the "know your dope part"

Top Bottom