• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Didn't see another post about this, but looks like there is a new Vortex Strike Eagle coming, in the 1-8 variety. Street price is supposed to be around $450.

Reticle is a little busy for me. Don't believe it's illuminated. What does everyone think?

TFB Article: NEW: Vortex Announces 1-8 Strike Eagle Scope - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

1to8StrikeEagle.jpg

C7c68jxXgAIJK8s

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Yep, they released that this was in the works last week, and I forgot to make a thread about it. Im hopeful I will have a shipment of these in about 30 days.

Wondering if Vortex will improve the glass on this generation of strike eagle. Probably won't compare to the Viper 1-6 but it would be interesting to see them side by side.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Wondering if Vortex will improve the glass on this generation of strike eagle. Probably won't compare to the Viper 1-6 but it would be interesting to see them side by side.

They will not improve the glass. You have to be realistic with the 449 dollar price tag. Your getting 2x extra zoom than the original strike eagle, or PST 1-6. You cant get a glass upgrade as well and keep the price tag down.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I wish you could get one that wasn't capped. I feel like a 1x8 with tac turrets like the pst 1x4' and 6's would be perfect for so many things.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Interesting.

It seems the trend these days is to pursue more magnification at the expense of more useful features. Like closer focus. Better light transmission. Lighter weight.

I think magnification is becoming what 'megapixels' were to digital cameras (remember those?). More is always better, right? Well, unless you know about why fewer MP can be faster with higher ISO and have better color, etc.).

I wouldn't be willing to give up exit pupil or clsoe focus to move from 6x to 8x...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Interesting.

It seems the trend these days is to pursue more magnification at the expense of more useful features. Like closer focus. Better light transmission. Lighter weight.

I think magnification is becoming what 'megapixels' were to digital cameras (remember those?). More is always better, right? Well, unless you know about why fewer MP can be faster with higher ISO and have better color, etc.).

I wouldn't be willing to give up exit pupil or clsoe focus to move from 6x to 8x...

Im not saying I disagree, but you are in the minority by a good bit. Zoom is the name of the game right now.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm pretty much always in the minority. At least as much as a WASP male of early middle age can be...

Heck, I've been looking at straight 6x SWFAs!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    superior products and logic lose out to marketable key-words any day of the week. Lots of stuff I own was only made for short periods for that reason. :( Bike, car, half my guns...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    superior products and logic lose out to marketable key-words any day of the week. Lots of stuff I own was only made for short periods for that reason. :( Bike, car, half my guns...

I dont think it has anything to do with marketing. Folks over estimate the importance of zoom on an optic like this. For instance, most people shoot their 1-4's/1-6's at 100 yds. On the 1-4 the target will appear to be 25 yds, on the 1-6 it will appear to be 16.6. Its nice to have the option of making that target closer, but its not a deal breaker.

Top Bottom