I think sunglasses are essential gear, not just for fashion!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    I think we (we meaning, all of us who wear sunglasses) often overlook how important eye protection can be. Not just at the range where I am sure most of us here are all strict adherents of wearing our glasses. But in the rest of our daily lives. For our everyday carry, on duty, when we're driving, etc. And I don't believe most of us really think about what we are buying when we get a new set.

I wrote the below linked article trying to better understand (and articulate) what to look for in a pair of sunglasses. They come in all different styles and they come in all different price ranges. So, what makes them different? What matters when buying them? My thesis is that sunglasses are not just a fashion accessory. Quality eye wear is 'body armor' for your face and are essential kit for people like us - prepared, armed; some on duty, some of us aren't. But sunglasses are not just for looking cool.

https://nelsonuniform.com/blogs/new...re-essential-gear-for-high-risk-professionals

The thing that really jumped out at me when I was putting this together is polarization (and the quality of the glasses' scratch resistance, anti-fog, etc). Being able to actually see better is a function I think most of us breeze over. I'd love to have more feedback from those reading this about their feelings on those qualities.

Sure, we all want swoopy glasses that will stop a howitzer, but I never really stopped to think that we look at and miss things (because of glare, or distorted optics from fog or scratches) far more often than we get projectiles to the face. We use our eyes to look and see everyday - but only concern ourselves with worst case features or how nice the glasses look to us? And because of what we do when we are working, or carrying, or protecting our families; overlooking things is a big deal. Which means glare is a big deal. I never really thought of it like that before.

Your thoughts?

Brad

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I agree that polarization is essential; it's probably the main feature I look for in sunglasses. (When lifeguarding, I need to be able to see under the surface of the water.)

Your site doesn't have a way to sort glasses by that feature, though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree. Polarized is the way to go. I have AO aviators in brown polarized. LOVE them. I have a cheaper backup set in standard neutral grey and Im not a fan.

CSB:

I was in South Bend on business this week. I left late Monday nite. Their weather was about the same as ours this week.

On wednesday AM I got up. I couldnt find my trusty shades anywhere in the hotel room. Slight panic losing $90 items that arent in the budget. So throughout the day I retraced my steps and checked with the lost and found at every establishment I visited on Tuesday. No dice. I was heartbroken. I told the branch manager there to keep an eye out and I headed home on Friday. (after searching my car and hotel room with a thoroughness a drug interdiction officer would appreciate.

I got home and started unpacking. I looked on the shelf in my home office, and what do I find? My sunglasses. I never took them with me in the first place. :facepalm: Apparently, in hindsight, Tuesday was too bleak and stormy for me to need them, so I assumed Wednesday AM that I had them the day before when in reality I never thought to use them Tuesday to realize I didnt bring them.

Is this what senility starts like? :):

/threadjack

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I've been a proponent of quality eye wear since my FD days back in the late 90's.

Personally I have almost no use for polarized lenses and I purposely don't buy them. I'm never around water I'd need to see into so the negatives definitely out weight the positives, for me anyway.

The current term of "high def optics" as Oakley would call it is nothing really new but a quality pair of glasses can really improve your vision. I usually cycle through sunglasses every year or so. My current pair will get a scratch and be down graded to the "range pair" and a fresh set becomes my EDC. That was until last April when I got introduced to TacticalRx and their Mr Falcon and saw them take 12ga #4 shot from about 10 feet. I had planned on wearing them for range use but the definition was even better than my Oakley's I started wearing them every day, even if they don't look quite as 'cool' as my other pairs. I still wear the Oakleys and WileyX's for "high scratch risk" activities or on days when I'm on vacation in a water park or at the beach.

No matter what you choose, pick a quality brand from a reputable source so you aren't getting a knock off. "dark" lenses that don't actually have UVA UVB protection can cause far more harm to your eyes than wearing nothing at all.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    This is another "hobby" of mine sunglasses, always been fascinated by them for some reason. Now in my experience while yes polarization and whatnot are important (especially on the water and in snowy conditions) but the overall quality of the lenses is paramount and like good scope glass is not something found cheaply. Personally for the longest time I swore by Oakley as they were all made in the USA and had great lens quality, recently the brand was bought out by the conglomerate Luxotica and allot of their production stuff was moved overseas to China. However their "Standard Issue" like including the M-Frames are still made in the USA and have the Z87 rating as well.

Personally just out and about I wear Persols while not "tactical" their crystal lenses and heavy acetate frames are quite sturdy and the crystal lenses offer the best optical quality I have seen out of a pair of glasses yet. They are actually what I wear when shooting the long range rifles. It amuses me to see people bring the lesser quality stuff out and when it breaks or they complain about not being able to see anything I just hand them a pair of my old USA made Oakleys and they almost always say "wow I can see so much better now these are great".

A good example to show people the importance of good sunglasses and optical clarity is actually rifle scopes, people will spend $500+ on a good riflescope so they get nice quality glass that allows them to see the target easier. But they will buy garbage $5 sunglasses and due to their poor "glass quality" they cannot see as well as if they had "better glass" so is it not worth the like $150 or so for a nice pair of sunglasses that if you are like me will wear pretty much at all times when outside.

Oakley M Frame 2.0 Standard Issue Ballistic - ANSI Z87.1 Stamped in BLACK / CLEAR | Oakley

The M-Frames are what I personally recommend they are still made in the US and not super highly priced as well.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I agree. Polarized is the way to go. I have AO aviators in brown polarized. LOVE them. I have a cheaper backup set in standard neutral grey and Im not a fan.

CSB:

I was in South Bend on business this week. I left late Monday nite. Their weather was about the same as ours this week.

On wednesday AM I got up. I couldnt find my trusty shades anywhere in the hotel room. Slight panic losing $90 items that arent in the budget. So throughout the day I retraced my steps and checked with the lost and found at every establishment I visited on Tuesday. No dice. I was heartbroken. I told the branch manager there to keep an eye out and I headed home on Friday. (after searching my car and hotel room with a thoroughness a drug interdiction officer would appreciate.

I got home and started unpacking. I looked on the shelf in my home office, and what do I find? My sunglasses. I never took them with me in the first place. :facepalm: Apparently, in hindsight, Tuesday was too bleak and stormy for me to need them, so I assumed Wednesday AM that I had them the day before when in reality I never thought to use them Tuesday to realize I didnt bring them.

Is this what senility starts like? :):

/threadjack

I find that bleak and stormy is the best time to wear polarized sunglasses ... all that haze kicked up by other vehicles on the highway just disappears.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I agree, essential gear. I prefer amber lenses, and polarized. I find the amber color really helps improve contrast, especially in overcast conditions. I also like polycarbonate lenses over glass for impact resistance, even though quality glass has better clarity.

Wiley X for me.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I always have eye wear with me. Sunglasses during the day and clear glasses at night (same model with different lenses). My favorite being ESS.

I have one pair of polarized glasses and have yet to find a situation where they have an advantage. Usually I just find that they aren't quite dark enough and I can't see the computer monitor or any other screen in my vehicle without taking them off. I basically find them to be useless.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I find that bleak and stormy is the best time to wear polarized sunglasses ... all that haze kicked up by other vehicles on the highway just disappears.

I agree with this 100%.

I agree, essential gear. I prefer amber lenses, and polarized. I find the amber color really helps improve contrast, especially in overcast conditions. I also like polycarbonate lenses over glass for impact resistance, even though quality glass has better clarity.

Wiley X for me.

I like amber as well. I have a pair of Costa's with amber polarized lenses that also have readers in the lower portion of the lenses. I love them. I've had them for several years now and its about time to get a new pair.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Still firmly in the Oakley corner after two eyesaves with their specs! I do have a pair of Revos, and a pair of Costas, for beach/water stuff, but it's impossible to read an LCD display with polarized glasses, so no flying or driving, or getting gas! The only Oakley I buy is SI.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I wear prescription glasses. As a result of having very bad vision I can't wear the 'hug your face' glasses. Can't have a curved lens.
    I use transitions lens for my daily wear with a pair of prescription sun glasses kept in my car.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wear prescription glasses. As a result of having very bad vision I can't wear the 'hug your face' glasses. Can't have a curved lens.
    I use transitions lens for my daily wear with a pair of prescription sun glasses kept in my car.

Check these guys out. They make wraparounds that take prescription inserts
    ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

EDIT: Here is a more direct link to the specific products.

http://www.esseyepro.com/Suppressor_212_category.html

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I agree wholeheartedly that a good pair of sunglasses is essential. Used to be the guy that bought the cheap sunglasses and would rotate through every year or so. Bought a pair of Oakley's while I was in the Army in 2006. Still wearing the same pair today. I'll be heartbroken when I lose them, which will happen eventually I'm sure.

The lenses are getting a bit scratched up. It is probably time to replace them.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I wear prescription glasses. A few years ago I was lucky enough to have a really good eye plan, so I was able to get a pair of sunglasses as well as new glasses. Both my regular glasses as well as my sunglasses are Oakleys. For years I used a pair of clip on sun glasses, and I kept losing them. Getting a dedicated pair of sunglasses seems to work better for me.

Top Bottom