• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm looking for a kydex or similar mag holder for AR mags. I want something belt mounted as I want to get some rifle training this year. I've seen the Safariland 774, but are there better options?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I know this is not what you really ask for but I tried all those thing. What I came up with is the HSGI leg rig. I run mine all the way up to the belt so it's not hanging down low. You can set it up the way you want. Also no matter what you're wearing as long as you have a belt it as easy on easy off without pulling your belt out. Also works very well getting in and out of vehicles.

[video=youtube_share;1KB1BhimWDE]http://youtu.be/1KB1BhimWDE[/video]

My set up for running the AR

My set up for running the shotgun.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I went with an inexpensive paddle mag holder, because it would be one I might actually use in the real world. I wouldn't normally consider a paddle of any sort, but I also couldn't see unstringing the carry belt to string in another mag holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O6CBSA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

81Tj1-jrWuL._SL1500_.jpg

I liked it well enough to buy another to live with the other rifle. A mag holder on the belt for quick reloading with a dump pouch holding a few more works for me.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Shoot... You can get a kydex mag carrier for an AR from numerous places. If I were going with a well known brand, I tend to lean towards blade tech just because I like the tek lok attachment so I can put it on and off without taking off my belt.

When I am in a class that only requires one AR mag, as a spare.... I have a kydex one made from some random guy on the internet and cant remember who I think it was FOG which is now extinct.... it just slips on over my belt.....

However, since I am normally in classes that need me to carry two pistol and a few AR mags, I use my belt that has hsgi tacos on it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    When you say "belt," do you mean a padded "battle belt" or simply an instructor-style belt? I don't own a dedicated battle belt and just want something simple for the range or a class. I'm neither high speed nor low drag so I'm trying to keep it simple.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    If I know I am only going to carry one mag, it's my everyday belt.

If I need to carry more for the class... I wouldn't call what I have a "battle belt".... Well some might.... but it's a two piece inner liner velcro, not padded, but it's only what I use for those type of classes. The only battles I get into are one with my wife about how much money I spend on stupid ****.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Get a HSGI taco or two. Will work for pretty much any mag you want to use. I use mine on a regular belt and on my "battle belt". The Costa style subload (I made my own) works, but subloads in general aren't comfortable for any length of time.

Of course, as has been said, the kydex holders are available all over the place. I generally use Blade Tech or Comptac if I don't make it myself.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

obijohn: I really wanted to take your upcoming carbine class but weekends in May are a tough nut to crack for me.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    For use on an instructor/regurlar-ish belt, I'd either recommend a kydex or injection molded plastic holder like a Fast-Mag. I use a double decker (AR/pistol) TACO on my 2" gunbelt for work and there's still some play. They do make belt mount TACO's but I've not had a chance to check them out.

If you decide to go kydex, give our member Slow Hand a ring, he'll make you a custom, local product. He made me a double Glock pistol mag pouch and it's the t!t$.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    I really like my two Bladetech AR mag holders, they are easily attached and removed from any "standard belt" in addition to securely hold Pmags, USGI, and Lancers. In March, I attended "Rifleman 1" at Valor Ridge and used the mag carriers both days without any problems.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I made these two for a co worker recently

7F575A52-FA3F-4421-ADC4-B39DB3A6DC88_zpshnxtsct1.jpg

E78EA44A-8A70-4862-9B17-A148A5F3F80D_zpsrpmwxxxf.jpg

He wanted the Multicam and I liked them so much, I made myself a simple one in all black

F637A37D-4774-4135-A055-691B27BA253F_zpsypcqipv4.jpg

3855FE93-5FBC-415E-B881-7FEF9DAF5AD9_zpsla2o4dkm.jpg

They are simple, compact and the Tek Lok gives a lot of adjustment on belt width and ride height. Both have built in retention adjustment so you can make them fit however you want. They work equally as well for P-Mags and Aluminum USGI mags

Top Bottom