• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jshepherd37

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone installed on of the NSR rails? Reading up on them they come with a special barrel nut that a standard AR wrench will not work. Noveske makes a wrench but it seems to be sold out everywhere. Just looking for feedback on whether someone in here has toyed with them.

Thanks in advance
    Shep

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I installed one several years ago, and it came with the wrench. I don't remember the details, but I do remember that I wasn't especially impressed with the way I had to time the barrel nut to get the top rail to line up. I started going with Geissele rails shortly after.

Edit: add pic

Last edited:

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Has anyone installed on of the NSR rails? Reading up on them they come with a special barrel nut that a standard AR wrench will not work. Noveske makes a wrench but it seems to be sold out everywhere. Just looking for feedback on whether someone in here has toyed with them.

Thanks in advance
    Shep

I have installed 5 of them on my rifles. I was playing with one just the other night. I bought a "crows foot" style attachment for my torque wrench which engages the flats on those nuts when I installed my first couple. Forget where I got it, but I don't think it is crucial. The last few I installed, I used an attachment that came with another rail, Midwest industries I think. It has an arced portion with a peg that sticks out and it sortof engages by pulling around the rotational axis. I am sure it has a proper name.

Really, If you have a decent set of large open ended wrenches, you should be fine if you can find one to precisely fit the flats on the barrel nut. Use your anti-seize and then try on the nut tightening slightly. You then check your timing with the handguard screw holes and the screw holes in the barrel nut. If you are close, use that side and torque it to where it is timed. If it isn't close, try flipping the nut around and I bet it will be. They all took about 45-50 ftlbs to get lined up for me. My point is, if you are paying attention to the timing and using common sense, I don't think you need a torque wrench.

If you have a Noveske upper, there will be a little hole in the front of the receiver which corresponds to the little hole in the handguard at 12 oclock. The rails came with a pin that is intended to fit into both of those as an antirotational feature. I tended to drop those and lose them.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    If you are planning on buying a keymod rail of sorts, I suggest the BCM KMR over the noveske. It's cheaper and from the sound of it much easier to install, yet you get a solid rail system. You also get more keymod slots.

just my two cents

Top Bottom