Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye7br View Post
    Point taken regarding reliability and knockdown power. For the average housewife or girlfriend, are the reasons still valid given that a lot of wives/girlfriends won't practice with anything more than a 22? I guess the real question in that regard....is their 22 more valuable than a 9mm that they are afraid to pull the trigger on? andhow to carry?
    If they'll practice and that's all they'll use, let them use it. However, if I may suggest something. Get a 4" .38 or .357 revolver with rubber grips. Load it with .38 Special 148 gr wadcutters. It'll be a touch louder, but the recoil won't be much more than a lighter .22. The .38 wadcutter is a pretty decent round for stopping people with bad intentions. It's not up to par with modern expanding ammo, mind you, but it does a good job at a much lower recoil level.

For carry, something like the LCR or LCRx is pretty easy to conceal. The grip does a good job of taming recoil as well. The trigger is nice and the sights are adequate. Again, just stick with wadcutters if they don't like the recoil of heavier rounds.
    My nuts are the great uniter.

Marksman
    I carry a .22 magnum derringer in my pocket every day. Work is a no go on carry so that really limits what I can do. I figure a 5 shot 22 mag in the pocket is better than nothing at all.
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor.

I occasionally carry my Beretta 21a Bobcat .22 in a Desantis pocket holster. I load it up with either CCI Stingers or Remington Yellowjackets and I've never had a failure to feed or jam with those rounds (now, with regular ol'standard velocity .22s on the other hand, it can be a jam-o-matic, which is why I normally shoot it with CCI Mini-mags or equivalent rounds at the range).

Granted, I've never actually had to draw any gun I've carried in a self-defense situation, let alone fired it, so I can't really give any feedback on whether it's an effective caliber.

Since I bought my Glock 42 last year, that's been my main go-to carry gun.
    Minimum Government, Maximum Freedom.

If you are going to carry a rimfire (.22mag > .22lr)... at the very least ...get good quality ammo and put it in a revolver.
    Dec 23, 1913 - The Day America Died

I've been known to carry a 22TCM, other than the size and weight the slide is very easy to run, recoil is very 22lr like and bullet energy nearly that of a 45ACP.. It's all about hitting what you are aiming at and if you are recoil sensitive it's a great choice IMHO

NRA Life Member NRA Basic pistol instructor / RSO
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer

Any man can make mistakes but only and idiot persists in his error.. Cicero 200 BC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2