Recommendations for 22lr subs and supers BDC scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I would really like a PFI RRE-22lr (BDC reticle with subs & sv yardages right on the reticle) but $300+ is a tough pill to swallow for a lowly rimfire scope...
    RRE22LR-Reticle-High.jpg

Anything similar out there? What about nice scopes with turret adjustments? What do you like about your 22 scope?

ETA, next best is a scope that is for subs only (vs SV)...

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I disagree with people thinking that a 22lr doesn't deserve a top of the line scope. I don't agree with putting cheap optics on the gun you're likely shooting the most.

Personally, I have a standard plex reticle on my 22 rifle. I'm shooting known distances with it at the range, or hunting in dense woods where I'm not needing a ranging reticle. At the range, I am not holding over, and I dial in my shots, so having a quality scope with repeatable mechanics is a must.

I shoot my rimfire more rounds than any other rifle because ammo is so dang cheap. That means I'm looking through my scope on that rifle more than any other scope. So I put some money into it to get something that is high quality.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I disagree with people thinking that a 22lr doesn't deserve a top of the line scope. I don't agree with putting cheap optics on the gun you're likely shooting the most.

Personally, I have a standard plex reticle on my 22 rifle. I'm shooting known distances with it at the range, or hunting in dense woods where I'm not needing a ranging reticle. At the range, I am not holding over, and I dial in my shots, so having a quality scope with repeatable mechanics is a must.

I shoot my rimfire more rounds than any other rifle because ammo is so dang cheap. That means I'm looking through my scope on that rifle more than any other scope. So I put some money into it to get something that is high quality.

I understand that line of thought, still looking for suggestions. If I'm going to spend $300+ it will probably be the PFI or equivalent (with BDC built into the reticle), just want to look at all my options.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Look at Vortex and Sightron's offerings in the sub $300 price range. They're both quality in general. Any questions on specific models, just ask.

Weaver's scopes are nice as well. Their rimfire variants are a great bang for the buck.

Focus on quality glass and internals. A scope that's not repeatable it worthless.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I've got a Vortex Crossfire II, 4-12×40AO. BDC reticle, not for the BDC, but for the thinner crosshair vs. the plex reticle.

It's the perfect scope for a .22 and what I do with it. I shoot out to 200 quite a bit with it....28 MOA up from a 50 yard zero with subsonics. It tracks accurately, and more importantly, the tracking is repeatable. I've gone back and forth between 50 and 200 yards, and it's right back to my 50 yard zero. Not close, not after a few shots to settle the internal adjustments....first shot, spot on.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Exactly. I have a Nightforce on one .22 and a Trijicon Accupoint on another

What type of distance are you going to shoot with it? And what are you going to be using it for?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have a hawke optics scope on my plinker gun, it is a high velocity BDC, graduated out to 200 yards, seems to be fairly close to right on, I used there ballistic calculator, to get the proper hight rings so I could Catch 25 and 50 yards on the same zero

Worth looking in to.....hawke optics vantage line.....

I prefer a 30/30 reticle or something with a cleaner look ,to much stuff in the field of veiw,screws with me, use a ballistic calculator, that will get you close, then run the turrets up or down....

May I suggest a set of Burris signature rings, the inserts for them work well to get close with out having to run the turrets out to extremes

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    $300 is tough pill to swallow for a lowly rim fire scope?

Depends on what your doing

Are you plinking in the back yard with a marlin 60? Or are you chasing X's with a 54 action Anschutz?

I have $850 in my Anschutz and $250ish in my scope

I bought a 4 x 12 sightron AO , & Burris signature rings for around $250 from optics planet

My request on a scope was, 4x12 adjustable focus, exposed reset able turrets, clean simple sight picture

So to me $300 bucks isn't bad for a good quality optics

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've got a Vortex Crossfire II, 4-12×40AO. BDC reticle, not for the BDC, but for the thinner crosshair vs. the plex reticle.

It's the perfect scope for a .22 and what I do with it. I shoot out to 200 quite a bit with it....28 MOA up from a 50 yard zero with subsonics. It tracks accurately, and more importantly, the tracking is repeatable. I've gone back and forth between 50 and 200 yards, and it's right back to my 50 yard zero. Not close, not after a few shots to settle the internal adjustments....first shot, spot on.
    Thank you for providing a recommendation vice critiquing me for what I asked for. While the Vortex doesn't quite meet what I'm looking for it does appear to be very budget friendly and looks like a pretty good scope for the money!

Exactly. I have a Nightforce on one .22 and a Trijicon Accupoint on another

What type of distance are you going to shoot with it? And what are you going to be using it for?

I would like to get out to 150+ without touching knobs and still reliably hit my target. The reason I want a dual SV & subs reticle like the PFI is because it's going on a levergun that will eventually be integrally suppressed (but isn't yet). So for now I will make use of the SV side of the reticle but once I get the stamp and make the suppressor/barrel it will be all subs (shortened barrel to keep SV ammo subsonic). The whole purpose behind this build is to have a gun that makes absolutely zero sound (true whisper quiet) yet still maintain the speed of a semi-auto if needed. I've been looking for this particular host (hasn't been made since the early 60's), at a good price, for several years and finally found one so now I would like to put some glass on it that will work as the gun sit (factory 22" barrel), and for when it's complete (4.5" barrel inside an integral suppressor).

ETA, intent is for a well-balanced mix of plinking, teaching my kids to shoot, and down-right deadly critter-gitter.

Or are you chasing X's with a 54 action Anschutz?

I have $850 in my Anschutz and $250ish in my scope
    How plausible is it that a guy that is chasing X's with an Anschutz is looking for budget-minded scopes to put on that Anschutz?

Why don't you have a $1,000 scope on your Anschutz? In many cases it's recommended that one should have as much, or more, in optics than the gun...

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You have a project gun. If you're investing this much in integrally suppressing the rifle and did all the searching for it, you might as well get the scope you've had your eye on and really wanting cause chances are you'll get it eventually after the scope you get the first time around won't live up to your needs/wants.

The 3-9 Diamondback Tactical would be a good option too but it's close to $300

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Thank you for providing a recommendation vice critiquing me for what I asked for. While the Vortex doesn't quite meet what I'm looking for it does appear to be very budget friendly and looks like a pretty good scope for the money!

I would like to get out to 150+ without touching knobs and still reliably hit my target. The reason I want a dual SV & subs reticle like the PFI is because it's going on a levergun that will eventually be integrally suppressed (but isn't yet). So for now I will make use of the SV side of the reticle but once I get the stamp and make the suppressor/barrel it will be all subs (shortened barrel to keep SV ammo subsonic). The whole purpose behind this build is to have a gun that makes absolutely zero sound (true whisper quiet) yet still maintain the speed of a semi-auto if needed. I've been looking for this particular host (hasn't been made since the early 60's), at a good price, for several years and finally found one so now I would like to put some glass on it that will work as the gun sit (factory 22" barrel), and for when it's complete (4.5" barrel inside an integral suppressor).

ETA, intent is for a well-balanced mix of plinking, teaching my kids to shoot, and down-right deadly critter-gitter.

How plausible is it that a guy that is chasing X's with an Anschutz is looking for budget-minded scopes to put on that Anschutz?

Why don't you have a $1,000 scope on your Anschutz? In many cases it's recommended that one should have as much, or more, in optics than the gun...

Well that's a simple answer, I'm chasing silhouettes, only chase X's a little, I have big money scopes,and I found this scope I have is good (Amsterdam in clarity and options) for the money item......for chasing X's I run $800 worth of apature sights.....I was simply asking the question of what are doing and making a comparison..........

Aaron

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I have a mil-dot Hawke 2-7X32 AO on my Savage FVSR. I love it, despite that the dots can cover smaller targets at longer distances. I have a 4-16X 1/2 Mil dot side focus Hawke on my .223 rifle as well. What I like most about them is the app for my smartphone. You can change velo, BC, atmospheric conditions, etc. and get fairly accurate intercepts. If you do not have a chrono, it makes it more difficult, but there are presets that will get you close. A little tweaking and practice will have you feeling comfortable with it. I have successfully used the combination to hit clay birds at 150-200 yds within the limits of my ability to dope the wind. Print out and laminate cards, or create a cheat inside a scope flip cap. I hope you find exactly what you are looking for.

Top Bottom