• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themurseman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Greenfield
    I currently carry a LCP in my pocket. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be better to carry? I don't want something that would be too heavy and I hate carry guns on my belt. Thanks!

themurseman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Greenfield
    Got fat ankles too. Also, probably couldn't get to it quick enough. I have recently had weight loss surgery and one of the things I am looking forward to is more comfortable ways to protect my family.

themurseman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Greenfield
    I would consider it but I think it would be constricting. I know I am asking for a lot here. I may just have to be happy with the 380 for a while.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Not sure on your size, but I'm 5'11" and 250. I carry a 43 IWB with no problem. I'm sure you could do the same with your LCP.

themurseman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Greenfield
    I carry the lcp in my pocket with a pocket holster no problem. Sometimes I just worry I am not carrying enough firepower. I guess 380 is def better than nothing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sometimes I just worry I am not carrying enough firepower.

You may or may not be. Odds are strong you are*. However, that's probably what you're stuck with as you've shot down the reasonable alternatives for carrying a larger handgun. Belt carry is the default for good reason.

*assuming you aren't being specifically targeted for some reason.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I personally love the g19. The size of the pistol is big enough to be considered a fighting pistol, and its also small enough to conceal with a tshirt. I have a bravo concealment holster that can be configured in as IWB or OWB. In the summer i carry the g19 IWB and in the winter when i have a hoodie or outer layers i switch the holster to OWB. Its nice to have the double stack mags. I always carry a spare mag on me so that allows me to have 30 rounds of +p+ 9mm. I guess if i needed more ammo then this i should open carry an AR15 :-). I think this comes down to personal preference. I have always shot glocks so that is what i am comfortable with. I personally believe that any of the big name firearms (besides taurus) are valid carry options. You have to make the decision on how much ammo you feel you need and what caliber. After you decide that, i would suggest going to your local shop and seeing which gun feels best in your hands.

I hope the IWB met your criteria for "not on the belt"

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What is it about belt-carry that you don't like? once your belt size stabilizes, try a real gun-belt, it makes a world of difference. The right holster also makes a world of difference, that's why there are many threads referencing guys ending up with a box of holsters for a gun. I can personally attest to both a good belt and the right holster individually making or breaking the carryability of a gun, together even more so.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    As a former large mammal type (actually still kinda large but not like I used to be), the first thing I'll recommend is a premium belt. With all the stress larger guys put on a belt, it will make a huge difference in everyday life. I bought a Daltech Force Super Biobelt several years ago. It's the only belt I own anymore. Here is a link to the review thread about it. >>>>> https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iew-daltech-force-super-biobelt-gun-belt.html <<<<<

They last forever and keep everything where it is supposed to be. And for $50, you can't beat it.

As far as a carry option other than belt, I can't help you there. My suggestion would be get a good belt, then an outside the waistband holster for the gun you have and wear it around the house for a while. Move it around and see if you can find a comfortable spot. If that don't work, sell the holster and keep the belt.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Cheap(inferior/non-gun) belts roll, as you know being a big guy. A quality gun belt stabilizes the waist band thus stabilizes the gun. I'm 5'7" 340lbs I carry IWB mid to full size guns everyday without issue. My belt for the last 5-6 years has been the bio-belt mentioned previously.

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    As for holsters, you could look at remora style holsters, though if you are going to sweat a lot, be sure it is not stuck to your skin. It will slip real easy like, this from personal experience. I would also say consider a waist band holster. You can even make one for yourself. When I would go jogging I used a waist band holster on my LC9 I have. I would say options like the sneaky pete, but since you do not want it on your actual belt, those are the best options I can consider. You could also consider a waist pack or something of similar sort like a shouldered conceal carry pouch. I know some people carry day packs with them that have a pouch dedicated for a pistol and some include a Velcro holster. That is if you are talking about the holster itself.

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    I went from a j frame to an LCP to a G19 to a J Frame (for 4 years) to a SW Shield (for 3.5 years and running). I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but I found that, while easy to carry, I was never comfortable with the LCP. I couldn't hit consistently beyond 7 yards and it was hard to rapidly fire. The j frame was/is definitely the easiest gun to carry, but a limited capacity and accuracy issues (admittedly, I only fired ~600 rounds through it) made me with to a single stack 9. I'm currently very happy with the Shield.

I'm rambling. Whatever you carry, make sure you're comfortable fighting with it.

ervinws

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2016
    midwest
    I am a very large guy, I carry all my guns in my pocket with a pocket holster that I ordered on Ebay from the daltech force store. I got the first on in black and liked it so much I order another on for a large gun in black. I have been very happy with this holster. When I sit down I don't even feel the gun. I am about 300 lbs and this has been great for me.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I'm also a big guy (over 3 bills), and I find it really comfortable wearing OWB. I have a snubie in a leather pancake holster on, as others do, a Daltech Super Bio Belt. Even my family doesn't notice I'm carrying.

Top Bottom