• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Some of you might be interested in some new silicon earplugs that are coming out soon via Kickstarter. The interesting part is that they don't need any bulky batteries/electronics to provide hearing protection for loud noises while maintaining sound pass-thru for normal sound. This gives them similar function to electronic muffs, though they fit into the ear. They have two versions: one that works with loud-noise protection only and one that can be switched via a button from relatively normal hearing to full-time noise suppression, making it easier to exclude sound for concentration etc.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goaxil/axil-xp-series-earplugs-defender-and-reactor/description

$19 will get you a single set of either type of plugs with discounts if you fund more.

Credit to James Yeager for the pointer. Don't hold it against them. :)

Young William

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    I preordered the XPDEFENDER. This will be my first high tech hearing protection. I have always just used the standard muffs or plugs. I can't wait to try them in a class setting, so this will be an excellent excuse to sign up for more training.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I currently own and use EP3s. They are good for the purpose. That said, strictly from the specs, looks like new Axil products will have significantly better protection: 33dB vs 24dB. Also, looks like they are easier to switch between full-time noise suppression and high-noise suppression.

The two are very similar in function, which makes them competitors. If you already have EP3s, these are evolutionary, not revolutionary.

That said, I still have a small bag of basic foam earplugs in my range bag for friends or anyone else at the range that needs hearing protection.

Top Bottom