• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour
    I'm looking for an optic for my Ruger AR 556. I have it narrowed down to either a Vortex Strike Eagle 1 X 6 or an Ai point pro.
    I know the aim point has no magnification, but I'm having trouble deciding.
    Should I go for a red dot or a 1 X 6 scope with an illuminated reticle?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Look at the Vortex brand red dots / prism sights. 42769vette, owner of Welcome to A&A Optics Inc - Certified Vortex Dealer and all-around good dude, can hook you up with ANY Vortex product at very very competitive prices.

for 0-200 yards - I think a dot would be best.

Go Vortex if you don't want to spend the $ on an Aimpoint. HOWEVER - if I had the money, I'd like to have an Aimpoint. As it stands now, I have an older Primary Arms micro-dot. My understanding is that the newer PA dots are even better than they were several years ago when I bought mine. Another brand to consider would be the Romeo line from Sig. They've got several models all competitively priced as well. Granted, they don't manufacture them - just rebrand them. I think I've read that, at least on a few models, Holosun actually manufactures them.

For the 1-4 or 1-6 scope... Go Vortex. Call Alan at AA optics and get a great price on a sweet refurb'd scope. I know I did.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I was looking for a value optic and have been happy with the holosun I picked up. Circle+dot or just dot with a press of a button. Uses the standard micro mount, good to go.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If you are getting an Red Dot type optic there are only three things I would really consider, Aimpoints (current undisputed king of the hill), Vortex Spark AR's and the new Vortex AMG UH-1 (not even sure if they are shipping yet)

Dimitrivich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Unknown
    I was in the same boat. I decided to go with a AimPoint. Thinking back on it, I would now go with the Strike Eagle. Damned near no magnification can handle close enough to a red dot with a little training. It simply covers more scenarios.

Additionally, I ended up developing an astigmatism and my AimPoint ended up looking like ****. Now I have a Prism and couldnt be happier.

:twocents:

LongGun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Columbus
    Look at the Vortex brand red dots / prism sights. 42769vette, owner of Welcome to A&A Optics Inc - Certified Vortex Dealer and all-around good dude, can hook you up with ANY Vortex product at very very competitive prices.

Go Vortex if you don't want to spend the $ on an Aimpoint. HOWEVER - if I had the money, I'd like to have an Aimpoint. As it stands now, I have an older Primary Arms micro-dot. My understanding is that the newer PA dots are even better than they were several years ago when I bought mine. Another brand to consider would be the Romeo line from Sig. They've got several models all competitively priced as well. Granted, they don't manufacture them - just rebrand them. I think I've read that, at least on a few models, Holosun actually manufactures them.

For the 1-4 or 1-6 scope... Go Vortex. Call Alan at AA optics and get a great price on a sweet refurb'd scope. I know I did.

I have one of the Sig Romeo line Red dots and I actually like the thing much more than I expected I would. I picked the thing up dirt cheap on sale, that's why i gave it a shot. Also really like the motion activation, no worrying about turning it on. Cant go wrong with a Vortex though, I'm a big fan of their stuff, along with the customer service if you ever need it.

sheltowee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Seymour

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just ordered a refurbished vortex strike eagle 1x6 from AA Optics. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    I went with a 1-6 scope and at lowest setting, with the right scope, it allows you red dot style applications. I am not sure if you have heard of them, but Athlon Optics, a newer company, makes some good ones. They have excellent customer service as well. When I bought my first one, there was a defect in the reticle. I called to talk to them. They already shipped me out a brand new one before I even shipped the old one back. I have been pleased with mine. You can get the 1-6 in either second or first focal plane. For me personally, in the shorter range span, SFP seems to be a decent fit for me.

Top Bottom