• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    After picking up a Henry Big Boy, I realized that I would like some extra texturing on my Golden Boy. The smooth stock and front grip of the GB get slippery with even a bit of palm swear compared to the checkered stock and front grip of the BB.

I ran to JoAnn's Fabric after work and picked up some cheap leather-esque fabric from the clearance section and some leather cords.

Here is the outcome

I wasn't 100% on the color of the fabric I found until it was on. It plays better with the brass and walnut than I expected it to. Just holding from picking it up, I like the feel. Easier to hold and it doesn't slide around as easily. The cording on top and bottom let my fingers fall between them for a better hold and the leathery fabric is less slippery than the smooth wood for my palms.

I'll have to wait and see how this fabric holds up to use. I'm not expecting great results, it's thin and cheap. But if it works, I'll order a nicer leather (or something) that will stand up to abuse better.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Looks good. I do wonder however, how the finish of the gun underneath will wear. Dirt and the like might get under it and act like sandpaper. I'd hate to see that happen and ruin a beautiful rifle.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Guys, it's not the grit UNDER the leather, it is the leather itself that is the problem.

10:1 chance that cheap Chinese latigo is chrome tanned and little else, with residual salts all through it. Modern stuff from respected tanneries in the US, and I'm sure elsewhere, don't have this issue with chrome tan anymore, but who knows where that came from.

It sure doesn't do any favors to blued steel, and I wouldn't trust it.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Oh. And when you decide how much you like it and what colors you want,...

Tandy Leather

...is who you need.

-Nate

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Natdscott - thanks for the extra info and a source for better material.

I didn't know the differences in leather could make an issue. If it makes a difference, I'm quite sure that the tan pieces aren't leather. It's cheap, thin and feels fake. I'm not sure it's going to last long before it stretches from the tension. But knowing that the fabric itself could cause scratches, I'll get this tested to see if it solves my issue and then take it off while I decide if I want to do with nicer materials or not.

Top Bottom