• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moose97

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2015
    Hoagland
    Hi all. I'm not new to firearms, but have largely shot handguns and milsurp rifles to this point. I really don't know anything about optics, but have recently purchased a couple rifles I'm going to want them for. Care to point a guy in the direction of an "optics for dummies" website? Thanks... FYI - I'll be looking to get optics for a CZ Scorpion Evo & a CZ Bren 805. Thanks again!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I mean you could give us all the price point, and what you plan on doing with the rifles then we can give suggestions based on your criteria.....

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I like Red Dots, and "scopes" .....

Alan of AA optics, will steer you in the right direction .....

I agree with that. Alan functions as our very own "Optics for dumb Ingoers". He is honest and knows what he is talking about. Imagine that.

I like to start by thinking about application and budget.

For instance, I will be shooting at a target X inches big at Y yards and my budget is Z dollars.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Yeah. Right tool for the job. Few optics (like firearms or anything else) are one size fits all. But they can have a wide array of uses. Alan will hook you up. He'll ask what you want to use it for, what you're accustom to, etc... and then give suggestions based on that input. Best is, if he doesn't have the right tool for the job, he won't hesitate to send you elsewhere. Though he usually has the right tool for the job.

Cheap optics tend to have you chasing paper and not really understanding what's happening (unless you know what to look for). But there are moderate and budget optics that will get the job done and save you lot's of frustration. That's where guys like Alan save you a ton of money in the long run.

moose97

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2015
    Hoagland
    Yeah, I suppose I could have given more info.

The Bren is a range toy. I almost never shoot further than 100 yards, so don't need crazy magnification. The Scorpion is also a range toy but I'm also gonna have it bed side for home defense. And if prefer to stay on the budget friendly but not junk side.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like Allen is highly regarded here and that's worth a bunch
    I bought all my optics before joining INGO so I didn't know about Allen but I've been happy with the Primary Arms house brand pieces I have.
    My AR has their 2.5X ACSS to give me a little more visible range and my .22 tacticool plinker has their 25mm dot sight. They've always come on when the knob is turned and have held zero.
    I had an Eotec on my AR, when I bought the 2.5X it was sitting on the shelf and I couldn't have a $450 optic sitting around so I HAD to get a CZ Evo carbine to mount it on :)
    I also have a Vortex Viper on my Walther Q5 pistol

With the exception of the Eotec the optics I have are probably as low on the budget spectrum as I would feel comfortable going. I bought a Sightmark for my AR and the 'buy cheap, buy twice' adage held true

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    For a cheap optic I purchased a holosun. It's getting great reviews and after using one I'm feeling confident enough to put one of my AR pistol that is essentially my "truck gun" but doesn't stay in the truck.

Top Bottom