• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Anybody looking for a nice quality, not crazy money scope for medium range AR work check the Leupold vx-r patrol scope out! I've been running mine for several months now and am always impressed when I am done and sling the rifle. Nice quality, solid turrets, great glass, and the firedot is neat too. Anybody else use one of these, like it? Not really a review just passing along good product experience, yesway!

https://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-3-9x40mm-30mm/

113771_00.jpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Been drooling over those for awhile now. They look great.

I need to sell off some guns and start over. Consolidate one more time and upgrade some things.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm a huge vortex freak. I do have to agree. I have avx-r 3-9X40 with the ballistic firedot.. I absolutely love it. I got mine new for $235 new at gander. One of my favorite scopes for the money. I've always been in the train of thought that iron sight or a 4x will shoot further than most ar's are capable of. Now that I have this, I feel a lot more confident. Also that firedot is awesome!!!!! You can bring it up and sight in your target only marginally slower that a 1-4 or red dot with some practice.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    Definitely a great scope for the scratch. IMO, the whole Patrol line is fantastic. I have both the 3-9 and the 1.25-4 on different setups. Good stuff.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have three Leupolds of varying grades (one VXI rimfire, an old Vari-X III and a VX-3), and the quality of workmanship and optical quality make shooting fun again compared to most of the competition's offerings.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Natchez Shooters Supply had(and may still have) standard VX-Rs on sale for $399.99 not long ago if you can live without the mil-dots. I picked up a couple for my hunting rifles and am very impressed so far.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've got a standard VX-R 2-7x33 on the AR I use for night time yote work. Very happy with it. If I had the coin I'd replace a couple other scopes with a VX-R. I went with the standard vs. the patrol as I'm not at all a fan of exposed knobs, prefer to set it once and forget it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Small update on this, still love this scope! Shot out to 500 yards with it on my 14.5" noveske and it just shined. I can honestly say I won't ever take this setup apart, I am that happy with it and that is saying a lot for me and scopes! Lol

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    VXR-Patrol, SWFA SS HD 3-9, the old Weaver Tactical 2-10, or the old Vortex PST 2.25-10's are my favorites around this price range if you're looking for this magnification. All are high quality.

Pretty disappointed Vortex discontinued the old FFP PST 2.5-10. IMHO, the new PST II 2-10 doesn't justify the cost increase.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a VXR-Patrol 3-9 for my longer range AR but ended up finding someone selling a barely used Sig Tango 6 2-12 for the same price.....

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    VXR-Patrol, SWFA SS HD 3-9, the old Weaver Tactical 2-10, or the old Vortex PST 2.25-10's are my favorites around this price range if you're looking for this magnification. All are high quality.

Pretty disappointed Vortex discontinued the old FFP PST 2.5-10. IMHO, the new PST II 2-10 doesn't justify the cost increase.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a VXR-Patrol 3-9 for my longer range AR but ended up finding someone selling a barely used Sig Tango 6 2-12 for the same price.....

Agree, I can't follow all the changes in scopes yearly Shew!!! If I was going to shoot further than 500 yards I would,need more magnification to see the targets real well I think, but at 9x it's not bad now!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    ~1x per hundred yards is all I need for ringing steel or paper plate sized stuff. For me anyways that is, I know some guys use irons out far.....

Honestly, I’d probably be better off not keeping up on and looking at the new shiny things. They aren’t cheap.....

Agree, I can't follow all the changes in scopes yearly Shew!!! If I was going to shoot further than 500 yards I would,need more magnification to see the targets real well I think, but at 9x it's not bad now!

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    ~1x per hundred yards is all I need for ringing steel or paper plate sized stuff. For me anyways that is, I know some guys use irons out far.....

this is me as well. 1x per 100 yards. I've never been a big high power scope person. I have a couple buddies that will use 8x and up shooting at 50 yards. Lol. I like giving them crap for it. I can put a 10 shot group in a 3" circle at 200 yards at 2x magnification out of a short barrel ar. I see no need to use more power then that.

now maybe out at 500+ yards I might have a different opinion but I have never shot that far out.

Top Bottom